Community discussions

MikroTik App

JamesKennewell
just joined
Topic Author

RouterOS Wan Issue

Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:22 am

Hi all,

Ive got a weird issue happening and im hoping to shead some light.

So ive got a RB3011 that has its Eth 1 Set for WAN, which is connected to a cheapish Modem in Bridge mode for converting the NBN FTTN connection to ethernet.
now this works 90% of the time but after a power outage the WAN interface is picking up a 192.168.1.100 IP and thus not allowing internet to be reconnected.

I tried to set my IP as static (ISP is supplying a static ip) but again the same issue. Releasing/ Renewing the IP brings the connection back. i plan to chuck a UPS on it but for a prolonged outage this wont solve my issue,

Anyone have an idea what could be happening? or have any ideas on what i could try.

im suspecting the RB is starting first before the Bridge modem can and its pushing a 192.168 address

Cheers

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RouterOS Wan Issue

Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:54 pm

Without knowing how your router is configured, we would be guessing. Please post your configuration.
To export and paste your configuration (and I'm assuming you are using WebFig or Winbox), open a terminal window, and type (without the quotes) "/export hide-sensitive file=any-filename-you-wish". Then open the files section and right click on the filename you created and select download in order to download the file to your computer. It will be a text file with whatever name you saved to with an extension of .rsc. Suggest you then open the .rsc file in your favorite text editor and redact any sensitive information. Then in your message here, click the code display icon in the toolbar above the text entry (the code display icon is the 7th one from the left and looks like a square with a blob in the middle). Then paste the text from the file in between the two code words in brackets.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 08, 2023 10:43 pm

im suspecting the RB is starting first before the Bridge modem can and its pushing a 192.168 address

Address 192..168.1.x is not an address that Mikrotik router would pick if nothing else is available. So this means that it's modem which serves the address. IMO another possibility is more plausible: if FTTN link is fully up&running, then modem will pass it (bridge) to Mikrotik and Mikrotik will be able to obtain a public IP address. If FTTN link is not up, then modem will provide local address (which might be used to connect to modem to configure/troubleshoot it).

Now an idea to script on Mikrotik: check address, obtained by DHCP client running on WAN interface and if it's from 192.168.1.0/24, disable WAN interface and enable it after a few seconds. Wait for IP address to be assigned and repeat the loop (check address ...).

Merialoren34
just joined

Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:09 pm

Hello,
It may Timing issue with the bridge modem Or DHCP is lease timeout Or it may IP conflict and also check Firmware or configuration issue with your router.