Community discussions

MikroTik App

imad2018
just joined
Topic Author

router OS license differences

Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:44 pm

hello...
I want to buy a Mikrotik license for a X86 device. and iam not understanding the difference between license levels, specially L5(wisp) and L 6( controller) . in the table Mikrotik provide they focus on layer 2 features like PPPOE tunnels and L2TP tunnel , user manager ... but there is no any points related to layer 3 services like routing protocols, the number of allowed firewall rules etc... Do can any one describe the differences? is there a specific usage for each license? why the cost is 45$ for L4 and 95$ for L5 and 250$ for L6?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: router OS license differences

Thu Jun 08, 2023 2:34 pm

I suppose you're referring to this license table? I think it pretty much says all ... and yes, according to base table performance (throughput; number of firewall filters, etc.) is not subject to licensing. CHR licenses are different though (table below the base table), there interface throughput is subject to licenses, the functionality is not.

The beauty of ROS is that all features are (in theory) available on all devices, only performance is different. So if one goes overboard with, say, firewall rules, then device with weak CPU (read: cheapest devices) will do it, but slowly.

As to which license one needs: one has to know what their device will be doing and then get appropriate license.

imad2018
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:39 pm

MKX thank you for your reply :)

i have few old computers (not old that much :lol: ) that iam not using , iam planning to use them as routers, so why i will purchase L6 which will cost me 200$ if L4 which will cost me 45$ will function the same for normal internet routers?

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:45 pm

It will not (or only barely) be financially attractive to use old computers as routers.
Separate licenses cost money, and they are included with MikroTik devices.
E.g. the new L009 for $129 comes with an L5 license included, CCR2004 for $465 comes with L6 license.
Computers generally use a lot more power than MikroTik routers. And also you likely have to invest in e.g. more ethernet ports.

r00t
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Jun 08, 2023 6:55 pm

If you have the hardware then it's quite viable option and with ROS now being able to run containers, it's quite interesting option. Even power consumption wise, underclocked/undervolted PC will be very similar to regular router...
And yes, L4 will be good enough for pretty much anything you do. Higher levels are mostly needed only for "enterprise" uses.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:00 pm

If you have the hardware then it's quite viable option and with ROS now being able to run containers, it's quite interesting option.

In this case it would make much more sense to do it the opposite: run "plain" linux on bare metal (more likely to get all HW supported, more likely to even get basic OS to boot), then run some decent docker implementation (the one in ROS is frankly a PITA in comparison) and a hypervisor running a CHR. Some more standard services can be run natively on base OS - if that was ROS, most services would require running containers.

As to why woukd one need L6 license over L4 ... how many PPPoE clients is your router going to serve? If more than 500, then you need L6. Ditto for question about number of OVPN tunnels, or number of hotspot users, etc. I still think that the table is pretty much clear and you just have to consider all the table items and anwser yourself a question which license level would suffice to cover needs about that particular item. After you are done with the list, pick highest level needed for any of items and you'll have your final answer. If you decide to go with CHR, then selection process is much simpler, you only have to decide about maximum port throughput ... if your hardware has only 1Gbps ports, then you need P1 license. Etc. Even if your hardware comes with faster ports but you know you won't need it (e.g. your server comes with 10Gbps ports, but the rest of your network is 1Gbps or your internet speed is less than 1Gbps or ...), then you can purchase "slower license", ROS will throttle throughput down to licensed speed but otherwise it'll support all functions.