Community discussions

MikroTik App

StubArea51
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

ROSv7 - Filtering ospf routes outbound without using redistribution

Thu Jun 08, 2023 5:17 pm

Trying to get an idea of the "official" MikroTik answer here. As far as I can tell, unless you're redistributing connected, rip, bgp, static, etc , it's not possible to filter routes for LSA types that aren't external

In ROSv6 the official answer to filtering routes outbound for an LSDB within the same area was "not possible" unless they are external routes.

viewtopic.php?t=14355

In ROSv7 i've come across a few posts that claim it's possible but I've not been able to replicate the same result using the config referenced.

viewtopic.php?t=189983#p961905

Note: I'm mainly trying to confirm whether or not /routing/ospf/out-filter-chain can filter routes to other OSPF neighbors when redistribution isn't being used. This is for lab testing and as such, i'm not trying to find a "workaround"

wiseroute

Re: ROSv7 - Filtering ospf routes outbound without using redistribution

Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:46 am

hello,
Trying to get an idea of the "official" MikroTik answer here. As far as I can tell, unless you're redistributing connected, rip, bgp, static, etc , it's not possible to filter routes for LSA types that aren't external
for my own simplicity when configuring routing protocols - i would always imagine that all of the routes that are going to be advertise to my neighbors ---> they are all *redistributed* from something: be it locally connected, static, rip, bgp etc.

then from that simple *redistributed* thought - my brain can forward to the metrics and filters.

in your thought case :

why would someone advertise something (locally generated) if he/she doesn't want it to be advertise in the first place? not filters related - but rather why you do redistribution?

hence there are network statement - to advertise only network we allowed. no filters. no hassle.

your added link - i just read few lines, so I can't give any thoughts about it related to your post.

just some thought - no workaround 😂

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: ROSv7 - Filtering ospf routes outbound without using redistribution

Mon Jun 12, 2023 10:37 am

The limitation to filter only "external" routes still apply for output. Input can see and filter any ospf route.