Community discussions

MikroTik App

arpiska
just joined
Topic Author

hAP as wireless switch

Fri Jun 09, 2023 8:55 am

I want to connect industrial table PC and thermal printer to wireless network via one device (wireless client/switch).
AP is UniFi UAP. In the hAP created bridge and put lan and wlan2 into it. DHCP client is on bridge.
If the wlan2 is configured as station, bridge is received the ip from router, but I can't ping the router (not from router the hAP), and don't get IP from dhcp on lan side.
If the wlan2 is configured as station pseudobridge, bridge is received the ip from router, and I get IP from dhcp on lan side, but there are packet losses.
Has anyone done something similar?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: hAP as wireless switch

Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:20 am

The setup you're trying to get working, is generally a RPITA. Read more about it in article about different station modes and the problems associated with each of them.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:35 am

:lol:

I got two setups similar to that (using mAP Lite), also for printer or PC/printer (with stupid hub in between).
And one of them is giving me the most trouble as far as printer issues are concerned ... (max 3 times per month, so still not thát bad)

One for a PC needing connection to internet and having a dedicated printer. Source of wifi is other brand, so I configured that mAP Lite in station mode, local router functions. All done.

Second one is from Tik to Tik with printer needed to be accessible from network through wifi bridge.
This one gives me trouble from time to time.
No way to have a dedicated cable (not even powerline solution) for that location.

First scenario:
when wlan2 is configured as station, it should not be part of the bridge or it's DHCP client will not work (that's why you don't see it from the router).
On that bridge you need to foresee yourself a separate subnet with DHCP server, NAT, other router functions etc. for clients connecting to ether ports of hap. Usually setting the device in AP mode should foresee all that ?
From your router you will not see devices behind hap, but devices behind hap will be able to contact router.
Unless you want to be able to control that printer from the other side of hap ? Depending on the source of your wifi (Mikrotik or other brand) it may work (if Tik, but then you need to move to station-bridge), or not (other brands).
Which brings us to ...

Second scenario:
Are the packet losses a problem for the PC and printer ? Usually TCP/IP will retry in case of drops.
Is the AP you're connecting to also Mikrotik (use station-bridge then) ?

Can you clarify more on the purpose of that PC/printer combo ? Is it standalone or does it need to be controlled from the other side of hAP ?
What is the source of wifi where hAP connects to ?

arpiska
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jun 09, 2023 12:32 pm

:lol:
I got two setups similar to that (using mAP Lite), also for printer or PC/printer (with stupid hub in between).
And one of them is giving me the most trouble as far as printer issues are concerned ... (max 3 times per month, so still not thát bad)
Wifi network is another brand (UAP).
I know that I can configure it with NAT, but I want to access devices behind.

This "terminal" is used for marking the materials coming from the production line (bags). On the table PC employes enter the data and thermal printer prints labels.
There are also fixed terminals, but mobility would be necessary in some places...

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:00 pm

Wifi network is another brand (UAP).
I know that I can configure it with NAT, but I want to access devices behind.

This "terminal" is used for marking the materials coming from the production line (bags). On the table PC employes enter the data and thermal printer prints labels.
There are also fixed terminals, but mobility would be necessary in some places...
If source wifi AP is non-Mikrotik, you're a bit stuck (read again that nice documentation mkx linked to).

But it's still not clear for me.
Which devices do you want to contact on the other side of hAP and why ?
Only the PC ? Use Teamviewer or Anydesk or ...
Or also the thermal printer to send output messages to it from other PCs ?
Is the thermal printer connected via ethernet on hAP or is there direct connection between PC and printer (USB, parallel, serial,... whatever) ?

arpiska
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:08 am

Source wifi ap is not MT.

Don't want behind NAT, I need "wireless switch". Both printer and PC is connected to "wifi sw"
If it is not possible with Mikrotik, I will search for another solution.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:18 am

As indicated in article I linked in post #2 above, the only way to build such a transparent wireless bridge, which works without compromises, is when both wireless devices are made by same vendor. And even then check the specifications (of both devices) if they support such function, MT devices running wifiwave2 driver (ax devices) currently don't.