Community discussions

MikroTik App

asdgmae2
just joined
Topic Author

gateway spoof

Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:08 pm

Hello,

Within the same VLAN, there are several /24 subnets. The gateways are configured on the MikroTik device, but I'm experiencing a problem. There is a malicious user who sets up a virtual router on their own server and assigns the gateway address to themselves, redirecting all traffic to their server.

How can I prevent this?

martinclaro
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: gateway spoof

Thu Jul 06, 2023 8:45 pm

Hi @asdgmae2, the solution would depend on how your network architecture is (other routers, switches, etc).

Generally speaking, it could be tackled by enabling dhcp-snooping, trusted ports and denying arp-learning on switch ports what are untrusted.

Additionally, in your case, in RouterOS set the `arp=reply-only` at vlan level setting, and `add-arp=yes` at dhcp-server level.

I'm assuming you have enabled DHCP server for address assignment.

Again, network architecture diagram and `/export hide-sensitive` would be necessary to bring a more detailed solution path.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:12 pm

most effective place to prevent this issue is on access network (switches, access-points, OLT, DSLAM, CMTS etc)

wiseroute

Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:01 pm

@ asdgmae2,
There is a malicious user who sets up a virtual router on their own server and assigns the gateway address to themselves, redirecting all traffic to their server.
if your network is office network,
then you should lock down all the workers station from any system modification.

if your network is a service provider environment,
then you should start to think about changing your subscribers access method.

hope this helps.

asdgmae2
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:41 pm

Hi @asdgmae2, the solution would depend on how your network architecture is (other routers, switches, etc).

Generally speaking, it could be tackled by enabling dhcp-snooping, trusted ports and denying arp-learning on switch ports what are untrusted.

Additionally, in your case, in RouterOS set the `arp=reply-only` at vlan level setting, and `add-arp=yes` at dhcp-server level.

I'm assuming you have enabled DHCP server for address assignment.

Again, network architecture diagram and `/export hide-sensitive` would be necessary to bring a more detailed solution path.
I'm not using DHCP; IP addresses are assigned manually, but I'm involved in server leasing, and the management of the leased servers belongs to the customers. Each server is allocated one IP address, so I'm running only one VLAN. How can I solve this using a different method?

asdgmae2
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:43 pm

most effective place to prevent this issue is on access network (switches, access-points, OLT, DSLAM, CMTS etc)
I am using a MikroTik router followed by a Juniper switch. How can I solve this?

asdgmae2
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jul 07, 2023 8:44 pm

@ asdgmae2,
There is a malicious user who sets up a virtual router on their own server and assigns the gateway address to themselves, redirecting all traffic to their server.
if your network is office network,
then you should lock down all the workers station from any system modification.

if your network is a service provider environment,
then you should start to think about changing your subscribers access method.

hope this helps.
I am involved in server leasing, where each server is allocated one IP address. I prevent IP spoofing by using the "Make Static" method, but the IP addresses are not listed in the gateway's ARP table.

wiseroute

Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:00 am

I'm not using DHCP; IP addresses are assigned manually, but I'm involved in server leasing, and the management of the leased servers belongs to the customers. Each server is allocated one IP address, so I'm running only one VLAN. How can I solve this using a different method?
1. are you in some kind of rack rental environment? datacenter?

2. if yes, then it (customer gateway spoofing) hardly/has little effect to draw traffic or getting more bandwidth because the amount of interface bandwidth available is obvious.

3. you can try to use separate vlan for the customers, so they don't talk to each other.

4. you can try to implement switch port mac security. limit by 1 macaddr per port.

5. or you can try to use separate pppoe profile and separate pppoe server for each customer.

hope this helps

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:35 am

I am using a MikroTik router followed by a Juniper switch. How can I solve this?

find out what security features that switch provides, then you can choose which strategy to properly isolate customers between them just to start, you must see that infrastructure as a untrust zone

LdB
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:26 pm

Get the MAC address of the machine pretending to be the gateway
a simple "arp -a" on the command terminal on windows will show it

example

arp -a

Interface: 192.168.1.35 --- 0xc
Internet Address Physical Address Type
192.168.1.1 24-5a-4c-d5-87-d6 dynamic
192.168.1.106 b0-e4-d5-ab-7f-87 dynamic
192.168.1.167 c8-9e-43-c5-6e-3d dynamic
192.168.1.255 ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff static

Block or filter the MAC address on all the other machines, routers and switches

Wait for the idiot to complain he can't access anything

asdgmae2
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:00 pm

Get the MAC address of the machine pretending to be the gateway
a simple "arp -a" on the command terminal on windows will show it

example

arp -a

Interface: 192.168.1.35 --- 0xc
Internet Address Physical Address Type
192.168.1.1 24-5a-4c-d5-87-d6 dynamic
192.168.1.106 b0-e4-d5-ab-7f-87 dynamic
192.168.1.167 c8-9e-43-c5-6e-3d dynamic
192.168.1.255 ff-ff-ff-ff-ff-ff static

Block or filter the MAC address on all the other machines, routers and switches

Wait for the idiot to complain he can't access anything
Hello,

This is a solution, but the real solution would be to prevent him from doing this.
Because when you do this, dozens of customers lose access.

arifworldnet2
just joined

Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:37 pm

Try using DHCP snooping and dynamic ARP inspection on your switches. Also, consider port security to limit MAC addresses per port.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:44 pm

Proper config of the router.
It would appear the hacker is not getting into your router but manipulating the traffic reaching his router.
The fact that other traffic can reach his device, id indicative of a leaky setup.

Post your config

/export file=anynameyouwish ( minus public IP address info, any keys, router serial number, any long dhcp lists etc.......)