Community discussions

MikroTik App

marekm
Topic Author

Request - release SwOS as open source

Mon Aug 07, 2023 3:20 pm

As development of SwOS (Lite) seems very slow - MT, please consider releasing this code as open source. Then the community may be able to help fix the longstanding bugs, and MT still makes money on the hardware. Why not?

On devices that support both ROS and SwOS, I prefer ROS anyway, it's much more powerful, and I wish it was possible on all switches. Adding a better CPU with some RAM shouldn't cost that much, the cheap CPU from RB931-2nD would be good enough as it's just for management. But for some devices (such as CSS610 series) there is currently no such choice, they are SwOS only. This is where the open source SwOS firmware would help the most.

Rox169

Re: Request - release SwOS as open source

Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:12 pm

ask apple to release their SW as opensource :) this is the same situation

marekm
Topic Author

Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:10 pm

Apple devices are much more complex than a tiny microcontroller to manage a switch chip, so I don't think it's the same situation. At least Macs can run a lot of open source apps, as it's just another Unix variant under the hood. On some Macs it's also possible to run Linux. iPhone is very much locked down, but even older devices still get updates quite often. Last update of SwOS 2.14 for netpower lite 7R was over 2 years ago, has improved a little but still has known issues, it looks as if the one person who maintains it has either left the company or is overworked with other more important things.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:42 pm

I think you should just consider what devices you buy and what you don't buy...
At first a switch may appear cheap, but when the software is buggy, unmaintained and incomplete, it may be better to buy something else instead.
(and remember that the next time)

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:50 pm

Apple devices are much more complex than a tiny microcontroller to manage a switch chip, so I don't think it's the same situation. At least Macs can run a lot of open source apps, as it's just another Unix variant under the hood. On some Macs it's also possible to run Linux. iPhone is very much locked down, but even older devices still get updates quite often. Last update of SwOS 2.14 for netpower lite 7R was over 2 years ago, has improved a little but still has known issues, it looks as if the one person who maintains it has either left the company or is overworked with other more important things.
I dont think ASIC vendor will open source its info so there is a dead end, is not MikroTik decision completely, also development made by MikroTik has value, trowing this in to the public it is not something vain

If you buy a CSS device you are aware you are sacrificing features for a cheaper cost, even with the known issues you are refering to ( i dont know which are) you have a better product in comparison with others in the same market

A cheap Manageable Switch full of features is a chimera
Same situation with small Manageable Switch, it end costing the same as a bigger device

If you need better device go for CRS not CSS

marekm
Topic Author

Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:30 pm

I mentioned specifically the netpower lite 7R because it's SwOS only, and has no better equivalent. I need outdoor devices with reverse-PoE (PoE-in from a few customers - this replaces their existing 5GHz radios), PoE-out for a shared 60GHz uplink (because of the 8-stations-per-AP limit still not increased even in new 802.11ay devices from MT, and still no Terragraph!) and SFP+ for future fiber uplink. The alternative with RouterOS (netpower 15FR) has more ports (good) but they are only 10/100 (bad) including the PoE-out one (very bad) intended for the 60GHz radio, so I had to make ugly hacks like SFP-RJ45 module for gigabit ethernet and port 15 only for power, combined with an external PoE injector into one gigabit port with PoE-out for the 60GHz uplink). The alternative before there were MT devices was even worse - Chinese reverse-PoE-switch boards (no firmware updates or support whatsoever) which I had to put into outdoor boxes myself.

If it doesn't have to be outdoor with reverse-PoE, I usually use the CRS326 which is only a little more expensive than CSS326. No such choice with netpower lite 7R. There was some hope with the outdoor RB5009, except it can't do PoE-out if powered by PoE-in (even if power budget is sufficient).

One possibility that may fit my needs is the CRS112-8P but it needs hardware hacking (outdoor box, and solder diodes on the PoE board to make PoE-out ports also support PoE-in) and it's not CRS3xx with nice HW-offloaded bridge config (CRS112 can do VLANs too but config is more tricky) and no SFP+ uplink (but 4 SFP which is good).