Community discussions

MikroTik App

Jenswizzard
just joined
Topic Author

Maximum MTU Size on virtual WiFi interfaces

Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:52 am

Hello everyone,
I am trying to change the MTU Size of my WiFi Interfaces but I am struggeling a bit with the Virtual ones created by Capsman. When I look at them from the router running Capsman, this device tells me that the Interfaces are set to a MTU of 2000. If I go to any access - point, there I see that my physical WiFi Interface is set to the MTU of 2000, but the virtual ones (created as Slave Configs from Capsman) there are still listed at 1500. Which device is to believe here? Router OS Version is 6.49.10 on all devices, the Router running Capsman is a RB4011iGS+, the APs are hAP ACs and hAP AC Lites.
What would be the Maximum MTU Mikrotik would allow on a WiFi Interface anyway and what is the difference for virtual interfaces? For now, the hAP AC Lites limit my system to a max MTU of 2028. The normal hAP ACs would allow some 4000ish MTUs, at least on the RJ45 / SFP - ports.

Here are some screenshots to shed more light on that thing:
MTU from Capsman.JPG
AP direct.JPG
Thanks a lot

Jens
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Maximum MTU Size on virtual WiFi interfaces

Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:57 am

Output on CAP devices contains plenty of hints that it most probably doesn't show correct values: interface flags (X), colour (shaded and red comments) ... to me this means that they really shouldn't be referred to in any way.

Specially so as you're using CAPsMAN forwarding which means that MTU value is only valid on ports on the CAPsMAN (CAPsMAN forwarding means that there's a L2 tunnel between CAP and CAPsMAN, which obviously can perform fragmentation/defragmentation so any MTU value on CAP doesn't mean anything).

Jenswizzard
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:17 am

Thanks a lot.
Fragmentation is the root cause I was doing that MTU excercise on that system. How could I look for possible causes of that and make it better?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:54 am

Where does fragmentation happen? Fragmentation only happens when there's a router which has to route traffic between interfaces with different MTU sizes. And often that's the problem when MTU sizes are larger than de-facto standard (which is 1500). It also happens when some WAN link doesn't support this standard (e.g. pppoe is often limited to 1480 or 1492). And if things are not insanely limited on some routers (some are blocking all ICMP traffic), PMTUD should figure it out (that's per-connection).

The screenshot doesn't show all the bridge ports on CAPsMAN device ... if not all MTU values match, then this calls for trouble - fragmentation doesn't happen for bridged/switched traffic, only L3 devices (routers) perform fragmentation. If an L2 device receives frame which is too large for egress port, it can only drop that frame (without any feedback to original sender). Indeed that's governed by L2MTU sizes, but usually (L3) MTU sizes depend on L2MTU sizes if admin doesn't set (L3) MTU manually to some sane value.

Jenswizzard
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:12 pm

Thanks for the answer.
My network setup is the following:
I got 3 different WiFi - SSIDs, one "Master" or "Home" WiFi, one for IoT Devices (mostly Shelly Relais and such), and one "Guest" WiFi. "Master" and "Guest" are configured as 2,4 and 5 GHz each, that makes up my Capsman Config.
Each SSID is on it's own Bridge with it's own IP Range and there are static routes between those 3 IP - Ranges configured, as well as a static route outbound to an external router, a Fritzbox my provider provided.
So, this WiFi question might have turned into a routing question. So far, the setup worked for me, signs of fragmentation occured when I installed some new devices on my IoT WiFi and trying to control them with a HTTP get from a control processor. From any Browser, they work just fine, but from my control system, I get a 400 - bad request error. This is a FW issue with a Shelly device usinf LWIP that does not like Data arriving in multiple packages. So my goal is to somehow encourage my network not to split up messages into multiple packets if that is possible, at least when it goes from my IoT WiFi to my "Master" network, where also wired ports are used. This caused this whole question chain.... :D

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:33 pm

In my view increasing MTU in all of your networks just because one broken device would likely appreciate larger packets, is digging own grave (because it'll affect all of your networks, including those who have nothing, just nothing, to do with the Shelly). What I'd do is to contain the MTU madness into one subnet and communicate with the Shelly thingy directly only using some other device inside same subnet. If you need communication with devices elsewhere, then you might have to install some sort of proxy server (could be any standard proxy server, such as HAproxy or apache, would do ... but it might happen that using proxy server won't solve the "all data in single packet" requirement).

IMO these kind of problems are the ones which drive necessity for dedicated IoT networks ... but most of times it's not enough to contain only suspicious devices, often it's best to contain also "their master". And then communicate only with "master" from other networks.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:27 pm

Is there any reason to use CAPsMAN forwarding, instead of local-forwarding?

Just not a familiar with CAPsMAN forwarding myself, but know it uses DTLS tunnels to package traffic...which would lower the MTU. You have 1600 MTU of master, so I'd think that's right. But since I'm not sure on CAPsMAN's logic, it could repackage the frames from virtual interfaces in some ways that cause fragmentation. Why I'd worry about using CAPsMAN forwarding.

Jenswizzard
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:49 pm

Capsman forwarding would have made it easier for the routing, in my book. Now, there are just static routes on the Capsman. With local forwarding, wouldn't I need to setup a static route on every AP?

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:41 pm

Capsman forwarding would have made it easier for the routing, in my book. Now, there are just static routes on the Capsman. With local forwarding, wouldn't I need to setup a static route on every AP?
Well, plain DHCP gets an AP a route...and CAPsMAN can still push config.

My concern is the tunnels are reducing available MTU, now you have 1600 MTU on physical ones, but I'm not sure how tunnels work for Virtual APs... Not a lot of docs on how its tunneling scheme in CAPsMAN works at protocol level, which makes it hard to know what's going on in your case...and why I asked...

Jenswizzard
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:03 pm

Well, there is an DHCP - Server on the Bridge that is part of that WiFi, but things confuse me a little here:

The DHCP - Server there gives all devices the Gateway 192.168.111.1, which is the Capsman Router. The shelly are configured with static IPs and that Gateway at the moment and are reachable.
Datapath Shelly WiFi.JPG
On the Bridge, there is not so much configured:
Shelly Bridge 1.JPG
Shelly Bridge 2.JPG
and the Route is simply this:
Static Route.JPG
I am a little lost, where should I adjust things when switching my Shelly WiFi to local forwarding? I tried this, but just changing this made the whole stuff unreachable....
See you

Jens
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Aug 28, 2023 6:39 pm

Before switching this to use "local-forwarding", I'd first try reducing the "main" Wi-Fi MTU to 1500 and see if that fixes you issue. Setting that higher might cause more problems since it's 1500 elsewhere upstream. And this is easier to test. Are you sure it's the MTU why the these device aren't working?

Basically, once you have CAPsMAN forwarding working, unwinding it is likely tricky :(. But basically requires changing the cAP's too. e.g. VLAN trunk to the APs, and then use CAPsMAN to set the VLAN ID for various SSID pushed when using local-forwarding. But that's a different model of operation than you're setup/used to.

Ca6ko
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:39 am

For what reason do you have an additional route created to the network address on the bridge?
Screenshot_5.jpg
If your network is 192.168.111.0/24, then 192.168.111.0 is a network address and cannot be used as a host address.

There are fewer bridge MTUs on the device than MTU interfaces.
Screenshot_6.jpg
I tried this, but just changing this made the whole stuff unreachable...
The path to the 192.168.110.0/24 network was through the Shelly bridge, now it is through the main bridge.
Screenshot_10.jpg
When creating static routes, you specified two gateways for the network. This means that the Router will share the load between these gateways.
In general, there are many inaccuracies and small errors.

Jenswizzard
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:39 pm

Well, the idea behind that was: Route the Shelly - Wifi to my Fritzbox to the internet (for devices to pull FW Updates and such) and route it to the Main WiFi, so my control system could talk to it. Same goes for the guest WiFi. How would I improve on this?

Jenswizzard
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:13 pm

So, sometimes, Projects take a bit longer and need to be postponed, but I still got an Issue here:
I am trying to send a GET Request from a control server to some smart home devices (thermostats to be exact) and doing so I get an "Error 400 - Bad request" reply.
Shelly - TRV_Poll_Status - Error Polling Status: Crestron.SimplSharp.Net.Http.HttpException: HTTP/1.0 400 Bad Request
Server: lwIP/2.1.2 (http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/lwip)
Content-Type: text/html
at Crestron.SimplSharp.Net.Http.HttpClient.Dispatch(HttpClientRequest aRequest)
at Shelly_Integration.Shelly.TRV_Poll_Status(String Device_IP, String Username, String Password)
at UserModule_SHELLY_TRV_V3.UserModuleClass_SHELLY_TRV_V3.POLL_OnPush_1(Object __EventInfo__)
at Amib.Threading.Internal.WorkItem.n()
at Amib.Threading.Internal.WorkItem.Execute()
at Amib.Threading.SmartThreadPool.f(WorkItem A_0)
at Amib.Threading.SmartThreadPool.r()

Talking to the manufacturer, this might be due to some "fragmentation" and the lwIP service not liking this, pointing to some "network" issue. That's why I am here. I can connect with a browser just fine to all those thermostats, but not with my control system. If a TRV sends an URL Out on it's own, it arrives in the control system and is processed just fine.

Now, I am looking for a way to improve this. This is my network topology:
topology.JPG
The CRS3112-4C-8XGM-RM is acting as a core switch, central router and Capsman - Manager with this config:
capsmanrouter-2024-01-16.rsc

The CRS328-24P-4-S+ are basically my access layer switch, here is one example config:
swicht-keller-2024-01-16.rsc
and then, aside from the config they receive by the Capsman, I fiddled a bit on the hap ACs:
ap-keller-2024-01-16.rsc
The control system is plugged to the core switch and the TRVs are all over the building, connected to the "Shelly" WiFi. So, the path is always: Core --> Access - Switch --> Access - Point. (The APs on the CRS112s are outside, so a TRV should not try to connect there).

Any ideas on which screws to turn?

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jan 17, 2024 4:58 pm

Any ideas on which screws to turn?
Use /tool/sniffer, and see what's actually happen with the GET requests. You'd just care about the MTU and packet size.

But if it's getting an HTTP error back, it means the packets got there & TCP was established – that does not strike me as a "network issue". If it was not connecting at all...different story.

Jenswizzard
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:23 pm

So, I did some wire-sharking and this is the result:
both to TRV.JPG
Measured on a Mirror - Port of the control system and my laptop on the very same switch.
My Laptop is 192.168.110.33 and sends the Status - request with 451 bytes, which this TRV - Device likes.
The Pro3 sends the same GET with 60 Bytes and this is not liked by the TRV, for what reason ever. I guess this rules out any network issues, or am I wrong here

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 18, 2024 4:50 pm

I guess this rules out any network issues, or am I wrong here
Yeah I'd think so. Your no where the MTU, and even below the lowest TCP MSS.
My Laptop is 192.168.110.33 and sends the Status - request with 451 bytes, which this TRV - Device likes.
The Pro3 sends the same GET with 60 Bytes and this is not liked by the TRV, for what reason ever.
If it's unencrypted, Wireshark should you the different headers/data etc between the 2 GET requests. That likely give you some good data for your vendor whose claiming it's a network problem.

Jenswizzard
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:28 pm

So, I did some more research in Wireshark and apparently, this segmentation is the issue:
segmentation.JPG
A packet producing an Error 400 arrives in a couple of segments, while a working one does not.
Is there a way in the switch config to avoid such a thing or would this be the NIC of my control system?

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:44 pm

Ah that makes more sense as to the 400 being related... although 8 fragments seems very odd.

I cannot recall specific of V6 capsman MTU rules, so not 100%**... But have you tried just changing the MTU on the wlan1 and wlan2 to 1500 (instead of 1600) & leaving L2MTU at 1600 (or greater)?

I'm also not sure why your NOT using an MTU of 1500 on the Ethernet ports either... But the way the bridge interface works, it will use the lowest MTU of the ports. So by changing the MTU of wlan1, the bridge's "actual mtu" will then be 1500 anyway, so the ethernet MTU at 2000 won't do much.

** Someone more familar may know if the capsman tunnels are constrained by the MTU or L2MTU as the DTLS header are adding something/somewhere. IDK... I've only used local-forwarding with CAPSMAN.

Jenswizzard
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jan 19, 2024 4:57 pm

Well, the screenshots on top of this thread are outdated. Between the creation of the topic and today, I did a complete reconfig of my system and all the MTUs are back to 1500 as the default setting. Routing looks much cleaner now:
routes_new_20242.JPG
but I still get this segmentation (?) if this is the right term. The running configs were posted by me on monday. Local forwarding is enabled everywhere, but same result...

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:12 pm

Wow. Quite the difference in the config from Aug (now that I look).

In a quick review, your config is very clean & the local-forwarding=yes should let switches do there things. MTU must be 1500 since is not set AFAIK.

I take everything else is working fine in your network?

But I'm befuddled in what can even cause this:
segmentation.JPG
You have no firewall on LAN-side, so not that. We do know it's forward HTTP traffic that's cause the problem. And HTTP uses TCP, which has its own segmenting scheme. Since you don't have control over the LwIP stack on your device, and LwIP doesn't do PMTUD while a full TCP stack should "figure out" MTU/MSS automatically (assuming ICMP)... But everything should be 1500 here... so there really shouldn't be any need for PMTUD (e.g. MTU discovery, since it's standard). Perhaps the device has a lower MTU, dunno, but likely unsettable?

The only thing on the Mikroitk side to try is force the MSS lower to the PC clients using a mangle rule in firewall on your main router for the device w/ browser. You can look in Wireshark at the MSS to see if it might help. But MSS is "adjustable" (well, overwritten) in RouterOS, using something like this:
/ip firewall mangle add src-address=192.168.110.251 action=change-mss chain=forward new-mss=1400 passthrough=yes protocol=tcp tcp-flags=syn

I can't test it... if rule isn't hitting, try using the dst-address of the LwIP thing. Assuming it's hitting, you should be able to see some difference in the Wireshark traces if you change the "new-mss" value higher/lower. Not sure this will fix the issue, but likely give more to work with in Wireshark.

Jenswizzard
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jan 19, 2024 6:47 pm

Thanks a lot. I think we are on the right path here. for now it works once in a while, looking at the debugger of my crestron controller. I haven't done any new wireshark captures yet.
would it make sense to feed the firewall with such a rule for the source address and the destination addresses? all in all I got 25 of those LwIP devices?
This definitely was a great start into the weekend, I'll try more

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 19, 2024 11:28 pm

I think you can use dst-address= as the LwIP-based controller instead – but I see if it fixes one. You likely can use interface or use a subnet /24 (or assign them IP with same /25 or smaller group of address).

You could also try lowering the MTU on the PC/laptop with the HTTP 400 within OS's network settings, just to see if that fixes (since it similar effect to MSS on router).

You may also disable/enable the interface on PC your testing after changing MSS (or MTU), since once TCP is established, MSS is not adjustable.

But it's still odd, normally a packet gets split into two, not 8 very small packets.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 20, 2024 8:45 pm

looking at the debugger of my crestron controller
Ah yes, I knew something common uses LwIP but couldn't remember it. Quick google turned up this thread in another site: https://groups.io/g/crestron/topic/1014 ... 8744278500

which linked to the older newsgroup, which had the more gory details: https://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/lwip- ... 00210.html

Essentially it appears your HTTP client that's causing the "TCP segmentation" based on above. I doubt Layer2/Ethernet MTU "fragmentation" part has even been an issue here. Now how to use a control the HTTP client in your app is a different problem... Perhaps adjusting the MSS trick your client app that sending the multiple TCP segments to do something different, IDK.