Community discussions

MikroTik App

cainos
just joined
Topic Author

Chateau LTE12 D53G-5HacD2HnD - Lack of storage space

Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:52 pm

Hello,

The question is - why so expensive device has so small HDD size ? Only 15MB ? Almost all space is used by RouterOS system. Only few KB for end user??
It is possible to increase the HDD size ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ConradPino

Re: Chateau LTE12 D53G-5HacD2HnD - Lack of storage space

Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:50 pm

Modern flash storage has limited write endurance whereas spinning rust media is unlimited.
Plug a storage device into USB port and use that device for storage.

cainos
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jan 26, 2024 2:25 am

I plugged in a USB flash drive and set logging on USB drive. But the lack of system storage is not resolved.
I remember on older mipsbe mikrotik a had plenty of packages installed, but here, on the new Chateau LTE12 D53G-5HacD2HnD, I installed only 2 packages, routeros and zerotier and have 98% used space. I don't want to remove zerotier to free space. I'm also using graphs for stats.
What else can I do to free some space on this device?
chateau full storage.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:38 am

What else can I do to free some space on this device?

There's nothing you can do (apart from uninstalling wifi packages but I don't think you want to do that).

It seems that MT considers that only one solution exists: buy new device with larger storage. Because they don't seem to accept any idea which would allow to comfortably run recent ROS versions on not-so-ancient ARM devices with only 16MB flash space.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jan 26, 2024 8:50 am

It depends on the model family. The Chateaus are mostly used by mobile operators, they pre-configure them and give them to home users, who never log into the router, or don't even have a password for it. Those are devices that are plug and play. You CAN access and use RouterOS, but they are not meant for customisation. When buying a device, pay atention to available resources, if you wish to put a lot of custom config on the device.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:13 am

When buying a device, pay atention to available resources, if you wish to put a lot of custom config on the device.

Part of a problem we're seeing today is that ROS v6 ran pretty comfortably on these devices. v7 brought new features (wireguard and zerotier to name a couple) which consume additional flash space ... and space requirements for base package also grew slightly. With 7.13 the later went up considerably even if one keeps using legacy wireless package.
Alas, MT didn't clearly indicate (in basic product documents) that certain device models will have issues running certain ROS versions, specially if user tries to add optional functionality. Meaning that user has no means of "paying attention to available resources" ... Sadly the quoted part of reply by @Normis shows continuation of denial mode which MT adopted regarding the 16MB flash space on not-so-ancient ARM devices.

infabo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:10 am

@cainos

I have a basic question: what do you want to do with more free disk space?

infabo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:36 am

The question is - why so expensive device has so small HDD size?
Like said by Normis, you can see the size of the storage in the technical datasheet of the device. What do you want to blame/ask next? "Why can such an expensive device only have WIFI 5?"

I don't know when you've bought your device, but there exists an upgraded version called Chateau LTE18 ax. It features 128MB storage, more RAM, more powerful CPU, WIFI 6. For a little surcharge of usually ~50EUR.

cainos
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:14 pm

@cainos

I have a basic question: what do you want to do with more free disk space?
Install additional packages, for example. I feel limited. But look at the price. The price for new arm mikrotik and the price of 15MB flash chip, 32MB, 64MB etc. The price for a greater flash is not so important, currently.
The question is, why to develop packages if there is no space for them?

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 26, 2024 4:34 pm

When buying a device, pay atention to available resources, if you wish to put a lot of custom config on the device.
Sadly the quoted part of reply by @Normis shows continuation of denial mode which MT adopted regarding the 16MB flash space on not-so-ancient ARM devices.
And that is a on-going concern... But OP's packages currently fit, at least for now... And Chateau does have USB.

So if logging is the issue, add a USB flash drive and set the log topics to use usb disk. Everything else EXCEPT upgrade package should be configurable to use an external disk.

Not to dismiss the concern about 16MB, it's just dumb but also not "fixable" — other than Mikrotik keeping package sizes small. And it is fair point: they advertise ZeroTier and container and MQTT – but you can't use all three because of the way they broken things up (or rather didn't break things up).