Community discussions

MikroTik App

bmann
Topic Author

mAP / mAP lite

Wed Sep 06, 2023 11:49 am

Hi,

is there any plan to introduce newer / refresh mAP models with 2.4 and 5 Ghz WiFi?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: mAP / mAP lite

Wed Sep 06, 2023 12:18 pm

Everyone's hoping for it but Mikrotik does not have the habit of releasing info prior to effective product announcement.

Personally I am using hAP AX Lite LTE as replacement for mAP already for some weeks.
Pretty happy with it.

Valerio5000
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Sep 11, 2023 1:12 pm

a dual band mAP with SIM slot for LTE would be fantastic or two versions, one without LTE SIM and one with LTE SIM, perhaps even physically slightly larger but please Mikrotik don't abandon these two excellent products!!! I've used a lot of them in tight spaces

woland
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Sep 11, 2023 2:35 pm

In my view, the biggest selling point for a new mAP should be a single USB-C connection, which serves as power supply and which is also showing up as a network interface on my laptop.

As I use my current mAPlites mainly as mobile devices, capable of extending the range of bad WLAN networks. LTE is not always an option.

I even use them with PoE adaptors. I am sad this option seems to have been completely dropped by MT.
The 2 PoE plugs with 2 mAPlites could provide a way to have Wifi behind a concrete wall.
The whole thing was barely noticed by anyone, not needing much cabling or any additional holes in a ceiling/wall.
It´s easy to install/remove, where I need it.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:15 pm

Personally I am using hAP AX Lite LTE as replacement for mAP already for some weeks.
It's the PoE passthrough that's handy in mAP...hope that's not lost-in-translation. The current mAP's don't run ZT or BTH... so also hope any new versions are ARM.

Now a "pro" version of hAPax-Lite-LTE6[-NA] work too. e.g. "pro" == external SMAs for LTE and PoE "passthrough" (in and out).

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:26 pm

To be honest, for the over 2 years I have that mAP device, I never had to use the POE-in functionality.
Sometimes when I wanted to, yes (when I was too lazy to get out the PSU :? ) but never because I had to.
I read cases left and right about others using it much to their favor, so I get it is useful. Just not for me.

Adding POE in/out to AX Lite could maybe solve that gap. I would keep the 4 Gb ports however (already had quite some fun with that and also with mAP I ran a couple of times in some cases where I had to add a dumb switch just to have 2 or 3 extra ether ports).
But then we come once again to the thermal restrictions on the package ...

X-mas is when ? :D

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:34 pm

I read cases left and right about others using it much to their favor
Well, normis seems like a fan of mAPs too:

hAPaxLite form factor even fit there...

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:39 pm

Ok, but THAT example was even more ingenious because of the use of the usb port to power other stuff. Never thought of that.