Community discussions

MikroTik App

grissom
just joined
Topic Author

Product suggestion: Chateau fiber

Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:14 pm

My area just got covered with FTTH, and i'm waiting to let the current internet provider contract (which is a quite slow fttc) to expire in order to move to another provider.

Most of the providers offer a router with their contracts, but most of the time they are locked down or very poor in terms of features, but they get something right for the home market: their devices are eye-candy polished in order to be placed in visible areas without looking like nerdy stuff (and they keep the cables mostly hidden in the back).

Mikroitk has the chateau series which fit this (apparently stupid) but quite important requirement, so why not having a dedicated version for fiber?

What i'm talking about is:
- a device in the form of the chateau series
- no integrated support for 4/5G, eventually basic support via usb stick,
- combo 2.5G Wan (one SFP+, one ethernet)
- no external antenna, only integrated ones
- latest wifi standards
- 1 (or more) 2.5gitb LAN ports, the other ones 1gbit
- a usb3 port with >1A current support, for network storage sharing, ideal 2 usb ports,
- super nice to have, but quite improbable since no mikrotik products have it: one FXS port for VOIP

This will make the product well suitable for any home fiber+wireless application, which, at least here in italy, are becoming more common.

The most feature-lookalike currently available appear to be hAP ax³, but accordingly to house boss, it "Looks worse placed on that surface than the one from provider".

raffav

Re: Product suggestion: Chateau fiber

Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:56 pm

do know that most of ftth don't user "classic fibber" they use gpon and what you are requesting is a ONT/ONU device which is pair with a centralized. Equipament called OLT most ISP don't allow you use your own ONT/ONU for obvious reasons.

ps: i'm not expert in fibber/gpon tech so i might have said some BS, but overall idea is that.
Last edited by raffav on Wed Sep 13, 2023 12:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

chechito
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 12, 2023 11:31 pm

I think long time ago MikroTik decided not to address that market (ONU/ONT)

Maybe from manufacturer perspective there are reasons beyond our (user) perspective, comprehension

nz_monkey
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:12 am

The last I heard was that Mikrotik are investigating manufacturing GPON equipment.

It is covered in one of the MTU videos that Janis made and is on the Mikrotik YouTube channel.