Community discussions

MikroTik App

AhmedQadir
just joined
Topic Author

MikroTik NetPower 16P - Power Supply Issue

Sat Sep 23, 2023 2:39 pm

Dears,

Greetings, recently i used new device NetPower 16P. It makes our work on the tower very easy. but we faced some problems as mentioned below

i connected 16 MikroTik Devices from(NetMetal 5, QRT 5, PowerBox Pro...etc) and all devices working properly with 24V-2.5A Power Adaptor and 48V Power Adaptor, after the mAs reaches limit (2.5A) the powers will overlap and issue detected which cause links to be rebooted. So we need your kind advice to tell us what the maximum power supply of Ampers is in acceptable range to be added for this NetPower in DC Terminal block adapters?

24V-20A is it possible and works fine? or may cause damage to NetPower? so my brife question is whats maximum A of Power Supply is accepted for NetPower?

Thanks

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: MikroTik NetPower 16P - Power Supply Issue  [SOLVED]

Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:20 pm

I suggest you to carefully study brochure, available from product page, it contains some detailed info about max PoE out power. But in short: a power adapter, rated at 24V and up to 10A, should be fine (specs say max 5.6A for PoE out and 16W for own consumption).

AhmedQadir
just joined
Topic Author

Re: MikroTik NetPower 16P - Power Supply Issue

Sun Sep 24, 2023 10:35 pm

Thanks for your reply,
i checked the brochure and understood the 5.6A but as you said 10A will be fine, i need more than 5.6A so i will check i with 10A-24V Power Adaptor

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: MikroTik NetPower 16P - Power Supply Issue

Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:53 pm

The 5.6A is limit due how internal PoE distribution works. I don't think you can go beyond that, AFAIK PoE out includes some protection circuitry and some consumers will get powered off if they collectively try to draw higher power than NetPower can provide.
Alas, it's almost always beneficial if power adapter can provide more current than strictly required. The key are two things: 1) in previous sentence I wrote "can provide" ... power adapters don't push current (they push voltage), they provide up to their capacity but it's consumer that draws current ... and 2) power adapters don't all behave well when used up to (or even beyond) their actual capacity (which may be better or worse than specified). Both things mean that it's good to have a power adapter which is slightly over-specified. If PA can not provide enough current, then usually voltage starts to drop which in turn causes device to increase current draw ... until things simply collapse. Meaning that switch/router will restart, all attached devices will restart (due to PoE tripping) ... and after a while (when over-current condition repeats) the restart cycle will repeat.

BTW, the 5.6A (as far as I understand the docs) doesn't include own power consumption ... which adds around 0.25A (6W at 24V).