Community discussions

MikroTik App

Fleishmachine
Topic Author

CAP AX - problem with setting

Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:28 am

Dear all,

I have purchased CAP AX and I cannot configure that in my network.

I have many RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT and other older CAPs, where I can simply set the CAP in the winbox ( Quick Set, left top corner ) or reset the device during boot ( 10 seconds ), but in CAP AX none of those options works - in the Quick Set I have only Home AP Dual mode to choose and even reset is not changing configuration to CAP. Any idea what`s wrong? I have updated it to the latest version, it didn't help at all. According to the documentation CAP AX should be working with CAPsMAN, but... it doesn't in this way.

Regards
Nicholas

JDF
just joined

Re: CAP AX - problem with setting

Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:35 am

For now capsman only works on CLI.

Fleishmachine
Topic Author

Thu Oct 05, 2023 11:49 am

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

What do you mean by "for now" - is it the issue with OS 7 or with this particular model that it`s not ready yet?
I`m not confident with CLI, therefore I could wait if there is any idea when it will be in the soon future.

Regards,
Nicholas

JDF
just joined

Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:10 pm

Hi,

Thank you for your reply.

What do you mean by "for now" - is it the issue with OS 7 or with this particular model that it`s not ready yet?
I`m not confident with CLI, therefore I could wait if there is any idea when it will be in the soon future.

Regards,
Nicholas
Well i'm not sure when it will be available as GUI. But you can find the CLI options for it under /interface/wifiwave2 Also check the Wireless section - under Wifi Wave2 there is a button for activating CAP too.

Fleishmachine
Topic Author

Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:22 pm

Thank you for your respond, at least I know that it`s nothing wrong only with my device.

I have previously activated CAP in the GUI but I couldn't change in the quick settings mode to CAP and it was still "Home AP Dual".

I will have a look at CLI in the free time and will try to see if there is an option to change Home AP Dual to CAP, as still... with Home AP Dual
mode I have problems configuring the rest settings.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Oct 05, 2023 12:36 pm

CAPsMAN ir available in Winbox too
Screenshot 2023-10-05 at 12.01.52.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fleishmachine
Topic Author

Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:32 am

Hi,

Yes, that`s correct, but... I have already CAPsMAN - it`s my main router CCR2116-12G-4S+
I just want to add CAP AX as another CAP to my network, but cannot change it to CAP in quick set.

CAP is enabled,
Screenshot 2023-10-06 082836.png
Having it as Home AP Dual creates issue as... it connects to my main router but it wants to be a router as well by creating new local network, which is not what I expect from it.

In Wireless Table I have error: no connection to CAPsMAN, even that CAP is enabled.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:43 am

Disconnect power from cAP ax, press and hold reset button, connect power again and wait until LED became solid green then release the button. Now cAP ax should be in CAP mode. No other configuration is required on device. That's the way i configured my 2 cAP ax's and any other device that needs to be in CAP mode.

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:04 am

Be aware that there are two CAPsMAN versions, one for the older devices and one for Wifiwave2 compatible devices.
You won't be able to combine the two.

Fleishmachine
Topic Author

Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:38 am

Disconnect power from cAP ax, press and hold reset button, connect power again and wait until LED became solid green then release the button. Now cAP ax should be in CAP mode. No other configuration is required on device. That's the way i configured my 2 cAP ax's and any other device that needs to be in CAP mode.
That`s the way I was doing that with all my previous CAPs and it always worked - not with those cAP ax devices. I have taken another cAP ax as I thought that maybe there is an issue with the first one, but no, same problem. After reset I have info, that configuration has been set to CAP, but it is still in Home AP Dual mode.

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:45 am

In that case I will try to netinstall new ROS and then tried reset button method again, without quick set.

Fleishmachine
Topic Author

Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:50 am

Be aware that there are two CAPsMAN versions, one for the older devices and one for Wifiwave2 compatible devices.
You won't be able to combine the two.
That is confusing now... I thought that there may be an issue between v7 and v6 but... at this moment I have main router with v7 and had all CAPs with v6 and it worked very well, but now I can see that in my CAPs v6 there is "WiFI interface" and in cAP ax "WiFi Wave2"

So... Simply, do you want to say that if I want to connect cAP ax to my existing network I have to remove all v6 CAPs?

That`s the list of my devices in one of the locations:

CCR is the main router with CAPsMAN enabled, where the rest are CAPs - the last one is the cAP ax that is not willing to cooperate.
2.png

Fleishmachine
Topic Author

Fri Oct 06, 2023 10:51 am

In that case I will try to netinstall new ROS and then tried reset button method again, without quick set.
OK, will try now. Thank you.

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:10 am

So there is CAPsMAN that works with legacy WiFi drivers and then there is CAPsMAN that works with new wifiwave2 drivers that are in all new ax devices. There is no way of installing legacy drivers to ax devices nor legacy capsman can work with new one and vice versa.

Your current CAPs don't support wifiwave2 so either you have to replace them with cAP ax or something else in ax lineup and install wifiwave2 package on your CCR so you can configure wifiwave2 capsman or configure cAP ax to work standalone device.

Fleishmachine
Topic Author

Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:30 am

OK, will try now. Thank you.
Cool, that solved the first problem - instead of Home AP Dual I have now Ethernet mode, where I can choose Bridge mode instead of router.

Fleishmachine
Topic Author

Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:45 am

So there is CAPsMAN that works with legacy WiFi drivers and then there is CAPsMAN that works with new wifiwave2 drivers that are in all new ax devices. There is no way of installing legacy drivers to ax devices nor legacy capsman can work with new one and vice versa.

Your current CAPs don't support wifiwave2 so either you have to replace them with cAP ax or something else in ax lineup and install wifiwave2 package on your CCR so you can configure wifiwave2 capsman or configure cAP ax to work standalone device.
Aii... that`s explains everything. Looks like I tried to get new standard to quickly. So at this situation there is no better option than put those cAP ax devices back to the box and wait for the time when I will be replacing the whole CAPs in one of the locations or when I will need to create new network, then there will be a chance to start with new standard.

Thank you for your help guys.

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Oct 06, 2023 12:13 pm

Yea... unfortunately that are your only options right now.