Community discussions

MikroTik App

EnricoPallazzo
just joined
Topic Author

How do I connect to my hEX S for the first time?

Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:08 am

Hello!

Bought a hEX S and was expecting the process to be a bit smoother (am on linux, Ubuntu).

Haven't managed to connect to it so far. I've tried "upgrading" via the CLI tool and the routeros-mmips-7.11.2.npk ....

...and after setting manually the IPv4 self IP (+mask) it actually worked....however this was successful when on Port1 ....when pinging the device... (192.168.88.1) it didn't respond....however

when swapping to Port2 ....the device did respond...so there is a connection. Attempting to access via a browser (which I tried at the very start) still doesn't work.

Why is this so hard..

Edit1: I want to set up this device to act as a DHCP server so I can then have the following setup:
Jetson Orin Nano <--> hEX S <--> PoE Switch <--> PoE cameras

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How do I connect to my hEX S for the first time?

Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:15 am

Out of the box Hex will block incoming connections on ether1 since that it is considered WAN for that setup.

You changed the password, probably at first login ?
If you did not, it's blank.
If you still can not get in, reset so default config comes in effect again omitting all changes you made.

EnricoPallazzo
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:23 am

I never even managed to log in. The tutorial says log in via web-browser but that doesn't work. I did manage to flash-upgrade it....but now am stuck at...being able to see (ping) it...
...and nothing else
Edit: Also, thinking since I never managed to log in...AND....have re-flashed newest rOS..... it's set to default...so how do I access it via web-browser (linux)?
Last edited by holvoetn on Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Quote of complete previous post is not needed

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:32 am

Connect to any other port then ether1.
Your PC should get an IP address in the 192.168.88.0/24 range.
Browse to 192.168.88.1
Account admin, passwd blank (or the one mentioned on the sticker).

It's in the manual.
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/UM/hEX+S
First use
Connect your Internet cable to one of the two ports labeled "Internet", depending on whether you will use an SFP module or Ethernet.
Choose your powering solution, please see the Powering section for possibilities.
Connect your direct input power jack if not using POE, to start up the device.
Connect your local network computers to ports 2-5 set your computer IP configuration to automatic (DHCP).
The IP address from the local network is 192.168.88.1, use it in your browser to access the device user admin and no password (or, for some models, check user and wireless passwords on the sticker).
We recommend clicking the "Check for updates" button and updating your RouterOS software to the latest version to ensure the best performance and stability.
Set up your password on the screen that loads.

EnricoPallazzo
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:37 am

Like I mentioned at the start, if you read the post....I've successfully managed to flash the new rOS onto the hEX. This was done via the CLI tools. For this to have worked, I had to set-up my own address as 192.168.88.2 and netmask at 255.255.255.0 ....else the flashing wouldn't have worked.

As mentioned as well....right after doing the flashing, pinging the device didn't work...however when I put it into Port2 (as I wrote) I could successfully ping the device...however still unable to connect to it via browser (request timed out).

Edit2: Followed this Mikrotik Guide https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiVwzHwQq_Y (modified for my own router)

Edit3: The error is actually:
Unable to connect

An error occurred during a connection to 192.168.88.1.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few moments.
If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer’s network connection.
If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the web.
Last edited by EnricoPallazzo on Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:40 am

Yes, you did netinstall, I already saw that.
But doing so, you changed the way to access your router. Your network config is not ok anymore on your PC if you leave it like that.

As I already indicated, it's in the manual.
First use
Connect your Internet cable to one of the two ports labeled "Internet", depending on whether you will use an SFP module or Ethernet.
Choose your powering solution, please see the Powering section for possibilities.
Connect your direct input power jack if not using POE, to start up the device.
Connect your local network computers to ports 2-5 set your computer IP configuration to automatic (DHCP).
The IP address from the local network is 192.168.88.1, use it in your browser to access the device user admin and no password (or, for some models, check user and wireless passwords on the sticker).
We recommend clicking the "Check for updates" button and updating your RouterOS software to the latest version to ensure the best performance and stability.
Set up your password on the screen that loads.

EnricoPallazzo
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:45 am

Tried that too (first time before other stuff)......doesn't work.
To state what IP settings besides the reinstall I've tried so far:

- Automatic DHCP settings -- doesn't work
- Custom IPv4 settings -- doesn't work but can now ping device

Edit: Tried the command:
nmap -T5 -sn 192.168.88,0-50
to see what comes back on Auto-IP settings, result was none.

On custom it does register both.
Last edited by EnricoPallazzo on Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:52 am

Then I'm not sure you did the netinstall correctly.

Try factory reset first.
Again from manual:
Reset button
The RouterBOOT reset button has the following functions. Press the button and apply the power, then:

Release the button when green SFP LED starts flashing, to reset RouterOS configuration to defaults.
Release the button when the SFP LED turns solid green to clear all configuration and bridge all interfaces.
Release the button after SFP LED is no longer lit (~20 seconds) to cause a device to look for Netinstall servers (required for reinstalling RouterOS over the network).
Regardless of the above option used, the system will load the backup RouterBOOT loader if the button is pressed before power is applied to the device. Useful for RouterBOOT debugging and recovery.
Release button when green SFP LED starts flashing.

Winbox would be a bit easier since it allows MAC address access. Even when config is completely empty, Winbox can still get into a router if MAC access is possible.
Since you are on a Linux box, you are able to use it via Wine.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 18, 2023 9:54 am

And PLEASE STOP modifying your posts all the time when a response has already been given.

EnricoPallazzo
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:11 am

And PLEASE STOP modifying your posts all the time when a response has already been given.
Please let others reply, you:
1.) don't read the post at all if you did you'd know the router was reset at the very start (that is the boot-install sequence) OR know what I've done up to the first point (IPv4 custom)
2.) suggest silly things, as if one can fail a CLI command install ....that it was installed wrongly. If that's the case then Mikrotik themselves messed up with the CLI code? Doubt it.

You're not helpful at all, except the Wine install of WinBox....the only thing left I didn't try.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:20 am

Wait a minute.

As far as I see, YOU have a problem.
I don't. So you may want to tone down a bit.

I AM responding to your queries and based on my experience I am providing suggestions.
So I am trying to help.

If you feel I am not helpful at all, no problem for me.
Work it out on your own then or wait for someone else to come in.

PS You need to keep in mind this is a USER forum where users are helping other users.
This is not a support platform.
For that you need to contact Mikrotik Support.
And I bet they will give you the same suggestions I already gave you.

Last suggestion:
About netinstall, you mentioned you used 7.11.2 ?
Try latest 7.12rc version or 7.10.
There have been reports about netinstall using 7.11.2 failing.
Mikrotik failing their CLI code ? Yeah, it can happen ...