Community discussions

MikroTik App

aceye23
just joined
Topic Author

Is Utilization of RouterBoards as 1Gbps RF signal processor possible?

Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:41 am

Hello,

I am an Electrical & Electronics Enginneering student in Turkey. We, a group of students, have an application that requires more than 1 Gbps. Moreover, we do not know much about RF. I saw RBM33G board. I think it would provide remarkable performance with 800MGhz dual core CPU and 256 MB RAM to our application. Could that board solve our problem?

As I said, we do not know much and this question would be silly at all.

Thanks,

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Is Utilization of RouterBoards as 1Gbps RF signal processor possible?

Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:45 am

This device has 1Gbit ports, so what is your plan to get more here? Can you explain in more detail about your idea? We have products with 10Gbit ports too

aceye23
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:19 pm

This device has 1Gbit ports, so what is your plan to get more here? Can you explain in more detail about your idea? We have products with 10Gbit ports too
We have an application in school, that is scanning 5 GHz to 6 GHz signal from one omnidirectional transmitter, then detecting the source and moving the vehicle directly to that source within 3 seconds. I guess the ciritical part of that application is the analysis of the received signal. SDRs are generally low bandwidth and high cost. I was looking for cheap alternatives to SDRs. Then, I found RouterBoards.

I have not ever used a router. Therefore, I do not know the exact applications of these boards. However, I think they could be configured to be used in our application. I saw that MikroTik has a very large community to get help. I am wondering a RouterBoard with appropriate data rates would be suitable for our case.

Thanks for your attention.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 14, 2023 3:41 pm

RouterBoards are far from SDRs. RouterOS is a closed source OS which only runs drivers made and approved by Mikrotik.

Therefore I'm guessing that you'll have to forget about Mikrotik for your science project.

aceye23
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:07 pm

That is unfortunate:(

Thanks

RouterBoards are far from SDRs. RouterOS is a closed source OS which only runs drivers made and approved by Mikrotik.

Therefore I'm guessing that you'll have to forget about Mikrotik for your science project.

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:55 pm

What you need is covered more by devices like ADALM PLUTO(+) or Red Pitaya...
I saw a mention of a Chinese clone of the PLUTO+. The cost is around 300 euro.
Your reaction may be "way too much!!" but realize that it would have cost much more not so long ago.