Community discussions

MikroTik App

FEODavid
just joined
Topic Author

PPoE Dynamic and Static IPs

Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:29 pm

I have found various posts about this subject, but I cannot get them to work, can anybody help me please?
The dynamic IP from the ISP works well.
I'm trying to add the static IP's
One example showed how to add the static IP's as a loop-back address, when adding the Firewall NAT section, the dst-nat entries add fine, but the scr-nat do not, only adding the address given to me as a default gateway seems to add correctly.
I've tried adding rules under PPP secrets, again no success.
Can anybody offer me a working solution, my isp has given me a /29 block of IP's.

David.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: PPoE Dynamic and Static IPs

Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:44 pm

The only way to get anything sent over PPPoE link is to have ISP to route it through. And since that traffic is actively routed via the PPPoE link towards you (ISP already configured their router to use your PPPoE link when sending the traffic for the new /29 address space), you don't have (and should not) configure additional public IP addresses on any of router's interfaces (neither PPPoE nor loopback), you simply use those additional addresses in NAT configuration. If you want to pass public addresses further inside your LAN, it's fine, you only have to explicitly configure proper routing.

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:51 pm

You do have to configure the additional addresses on a loopback interface if you wish the Mikrotik to respond to ICMP requests, as you say source and destination NAT will work fine without this.

FEODavid
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:17 am

Thank you for the replies.
What I was hoping for is a working configuration, so I could see how it works.
Thank you,
David.