MikroTik App

Pigsfoot
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Is Dude the answer i'm looking for

Mon Dec 11, 2023 5:26 pm

Hi,
We have around 300 RB out in the field and are looking at The Dude as a management application.

Std things like Firmware upgrades, remote reboots i presume are included

What we would also like is the ability to copy scripts and set schedules on remote RB's via Dude and i thought i'd be lazy and ask the question here rather than read the manual :-)

Does anyone know if this is possible. Thanks

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Is Dude the answer i'm looking for

Mon Dec 11, 2023 7:10 pm

Tricky question. Dude is old and frozen in functionality...but still works fine. Just not modern.

Dude is much better at monitoring and recording data, than "managing" devices. e.g. you can view any router settings or create terminal session to them.

But if rolling out config is your main need, it's not particular good at that. e.g. Dude can handle upgrading routeros, but not beyond that (e.g. not updating scheduler/scripts).

spippan

Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:41 pm

Tricky question. Dude is old and frozen in functionality...but still works fine. Just not modern.

Dude is much better at monitoring and recording data, than "managing" devices. e.g. you can view any router settings or create terminal session to them.

But if rolling out config is your main need, it's not particular good at that. e.g. Dude can handle upgrading routeros, but not beyond that (e.g. not updating scheduler/scripts).
do you know of any good alternative or option to do those things like in the form of a centralized controler for routeros?

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:09 pm

I use the Dude and works for my use cases, which are monitoring/charts/map. But Dude really is a classical NMS than a modern "controller". Since it uses RouterOS's native protocol (e.g. winbox/api) it's a lot easier than mapping SNMP to some other NMS system.

But OP suggested:
What we would also like is the ability to copy scripts and set schedules on remote RB's via Dude
And it's here is where I'd say it's not designed for that & doesn't have ready-to-use features to help (e.g. theoretically, you can write Dude functions to replicate it, that's not so easy in practice)

Basically once you want to "update config" using the Dude, it's rather limited is my only point.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 11, 2023 10:10 pm

do you know of any good alternative or option to do those things like in the form of a centralized controler for routeros?
I haven't used it, and it's paid offering, but Unimus (https://unimus.net) does with config stuff AFAIK.

stmx38
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Dec 12, 2023 8:37 pm

There is a topic MikroTik Devices Controller and one interesting link - https://remotewinbox.com

spippan

Wed Dec 13, 2023 10:28 pm

I haven't used it, and it's paid offering, but Unimus (https://unimus.net) does with config stuff AFAIK.
thanks a lot - i will give this one a try. looks promising