Community discussions

MikroTik App

vovan700i
Topic Author

Tailscale container: iptables not working

Thu Dec 28, 2023 2:01 pm

Hi,

I’m trying to run an official Tailscale container. The Tailscale software works correct, but in order to enable proper forwarding it tries to create a firewall rule inside the container and fails.

Command:
iptables -t filter -A ts-forward -i tailscale0 -j MARK --set-mark 0x40000/0xff0000 --wait
Error:
exit status 1: iptables: Invalid argument. Run `dmesg' for more information
Output of iptables -S when the container is running:
-P INPUT ACCEPT
-P FORWARD ACCEPT
-P OUTPUT ACCEPT
-N ts-forward
-N ts-input
-A INPUT -j ts-input
-A FORWARD -j ts-forward
-A ts-input -s 100.115.92.0/23 ! -i tailscale0 -j RETURN
-A ts-input -s 100.64.0.0/10 ! -i tailscale0 -j DROP
-A ts-input -i tailscale0 -j ACCEPT
Unfortunately, dmesg can't be run inside the container (forbidden?). Although xt_mark is listed as a loaded kernel module by lsmod command, the system seems to lack packet marking capability.

Critical environment variables: I reported the problem to MikroTik support (SUP-138792) and received the following answer:
Currently, there are no available iptables for third-party code. We will explore possible solutions if we receive similar requests from our clients. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.
For all those users who are interested in Tailscale and other containers using iptables, please, submit your requests via the support portal.

dimmuboy
just joined

Re: Tailscale container: iptables not working

Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:06 pm

I'm dealing with the same problem with https://github.com/Fluent-networks/tailscale-mikrotik
Were you lucky with yours?

vovan700i
Topic Author

Re: Tailscale container: iptables not working

Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:32 pm

Were you lucky with yours?
As mentioned above, I approached the support and received a confirmation of this issue. You may also submit a new ticket and tell them you are interested in allowing iptables inside containers as well.