Community discussions

MikroTik App

guipoletto
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

how to get consistent interface naming with capsman3

Sun Jan 14, 2024 7:07 am

Hi, i'm planning a new install with a Hap-AX3 as a cap-controller, and several Cap-AX's as cap-managed AP's

I have the provisioning name-format set to "name-format=%I", so that i know where the stations are, when they roam
( 4 total SSID's, Infrastructure/management/staff and guests), on different vlans
there are therefore, 8 "interfaces" per CAP, 4 per radio.

but the naming is highly inconsistent::

-- in the HAP, interfaces "wifi1" and "wifi2" (master) become "dynamic", and can't be changed back to unmanaged (?)
-- the slave interfaces are named with "MikroTik" prefix, inconsistent with the master naming, and the numeric suffix is (-2) from the other cap's, and omitted/implicit index "1"
-- in the remote cap's, interfaces are named "Identity"+(NULL|2|3|4) for the 5ghz interfaces, and "Identity"+(5|6|7|8) for the 2,4ghz interfaces

#highly unintuitivelly, as one master interface has no numeric suffix, and the other one does (in a kind of reverse order of bands, which is weird in and on itself)
[edit] -- they really assume random names when reprovisioning, as sometimes the 2ghz interface gets reprovisioned before the 5ghz one. CHAOS!

in the remote cap's themselves, after multiple rounds of provisioning, the slave interfaces get ever higher indexes (wifi21,wifi22,wifi23....), but the master ones keep their original wifi1 and wifi2

so, aside from manually setting all interfaces, and ditching the whole point of a centrally managed system;

how can this be improved, in order to provide a more sane naming structure?

am i missing something in the config part, or this is strictly "feature request" territory?

adding some pictures to illustrate:
caps-interface-names.png
<< note that sometimes the radios are provisioned in reverse order.
caps-interface-names-2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tinodj

Re: how to get consistent interface naming with capsman3

Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:04 am

Please show provisioning rules, so we can some with some suggestions / possible workarounds regarding the naming.

Regarding this:
"in the HAP, interfaces "wifi1" and "wifi2" (master) become "dynamic", and can't be changed back to unmanaged (?)" -> the only way I found working is to disable CAP (but is not enough) and then to remove remote CAP, and sometimes even this is not enough, then to temporary disable provisioning rules, then click provision on this local radios, and they will come back as normal.

guipoletto
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: how to get consistent interface naming with capsman3

Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:11 am

Please show provisioning rules, so we can some with some suggestions / possible workarounds regarding the naming.
/interface wifi provisioning
add action=create-dynamic-enabled disabled=no master-configuration=2g-11-infra name-format=2G--%I-- slave-configurations=2g-22-gerencia,2g-33-funcionarios,2g-44-clientes supported-bands=2ghz-ax
add action=create-dynamic-enabled disabled=no master-configuration=5g-11-infra name-format=5G--%I-- slave-configurations=2g-22-gerencia,5g-33-funcionarios,5g-44-clientes supported-bands=5ghz-ax
very basic using %i for prefixing with cap-name, and "-" for readability