Community discussions

MikroTik App

edepalos
just joined
Topic Author

LTE sensitivity

Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:36 pm

Dear Mikrotik Community, I would like to install on some service wans LTE (or 5G) router to facilitate internet access for the service technician on field. The most important thing is the LTE (or 5G) sensitivity, because in many sites there is poor coverage for cellphones to share data. Which unit do You reccomend? I was looking to LtAP LTE6 kit, wAP ac LTE6 kit and Chateau LTE12, but I would be happier with Your suggestion! External antenna is not a problem to install, if You consider it indispensable. Any other parameter is not critical... Thank You very much! Best regards, Ede Pálos

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: LTE sensitivity

Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:46 pm

Hello, so first thing that I would do is to check where is the nearest cell tower with an app. I use cell mapper app when I need to find out where is the nearest tower.

If tower is far away then maybe the best solution is to use SXT LTE6 kit or LHG LTE6 or LTE18. That way you only need to pull UTP cable to the antenna.

I would avoid pulling coax especially if you have longer cable run and tower is far away. You will attenuate already weak signal.

edepalos
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:56 pm

Thank You gigabyte091, the nearest cell towers would be at random locations and distances from an ever-moving service van... nevertheless I am aware of the disadvantages of long coax cables as I understand the advantage of a dish- or directional antenna, but these units would require that a diesel engine mechanic to have knowledge they don't usually have, I mean it's not practical for them to DX a tower from a service van... Also I would like to have an "all in one solution" to reduce hassle, hence the mentioned units in my dilemma...

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:20 pm

In that case your best bet would be something like Chateau 5G, it have detachable antenna so you can provide your own external antenna. It is a little bit expensive but future proof as it have 5G, or you can buy Chateau LTE12. It also have option for internal antenna.

And both devices works from 12 to 28 volts so you can power it straight from 12 or 24V socket.

Cha0s
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:29 pm

Keep in mind that Chateau 5G's external antennas are only for the 5G 3.6GHz band.

https://confusedbird.com/thread-119.html

So, if there's no 5G coverage it uses the internal antennas.

It's easy to mod though if you are willing to void the warranty and make some new holes to add more SMA connectors to attach external antennas.

edepalos
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:47 pm

Thanks for quick answers! So practically You guys recommend that I use Chateau 12 instead of the practically purpose built LtAP LTE6 kit? this was the purpose of my question, to find out if You would use the new LtAP LTE6 kit unit or You'd go for a Chateau that looks a little more powerful... Did you have experience with the LtAP LTE6 kit?

jaclaz
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Jan 22, 2024 11:47 pm

And both devices works from 12 to 28 volts so you can power it straight from 12 or 24V socket.
A word of warning, though.
Not a very good idea to directly power a non-expressly-built-for-automotive elettronic device without some protection against accidental spikes (load dump generated ones can reach several tens of Volts).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Load_dump
At least an expendable (el-cheapo) DC-DC converter/regulator, even if not the perfect solution, is usually advised.

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:41 am

Well, never had any problem with powering routers directly from car outlet. While spikes can happen it's rare and as your link said happens when there is battery disconnection while alternator is running. In normal operation that won't happen.

DC/DC regulator is a good advice but cheap ones are non-isolated and poor quality so spike will go right through them and most of them are built for 30V DC input voltage and will not tolerate any higher voltage.

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:44 am

Keep in mind that Chateau 5G's external antennas are only for the 5G 3.6GHz band.

It's easy to mod though if you are willing to void the warranty and make some new holes to add more SMA connectors to attach external antennas.
Thanks for the warning.

@edepalos

LtAP LTE6 kit is discontinued as far as I can see on MT web page

edepalos
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:03 pm

Thanks for the warning.

@edepalos

LtAP LTE6 kit is discontinued as far as I can see on MT web page
There is a new LtAP LTE6 kit available under the LtAP-2HnD&FG621-EA part number...

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jan 25, 2024 5:45 am

Then you should go with that, it has connectors for external antenna, wifi, rugged case, perfect for work car :D

For internet access on the field good choice.