Community discussions

MikroTik App

KaptenBrum
just joined
Topic Author

When setting up PtMP, does internet need to be connected to the PtMP unit?

Mon Jan 29, 2024 4:23 pm

I need to set up a PtMP link and was planning to use RBwAPG-60ad-SA connected to two RBwAPG-60ad.
I have an alternate plan to use the two RBwAPG-60ad connected to a RBwAPG-60ad-A, all of which I already have in stock.

The question is: Can I put a RBwAPG-60ad where I have the internet, and then link the signal via the RBwAPG-60ad-A to the second RBwAPG-60ad?
Or do the RBwAPG-60ad-A need to be the central point, directly connected to the internet?
In other way of expressing myself, if I see my network as the letter V, do I need to have internet connected to the bottom point, or would it be OK to connect internet to one of the top ends of the V?

igorr29

Re: When setting up PtMP, does internet need to be connected to the PtMP unit?

Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:33 am

it'll work, just slower. did that a long time ago with an omnitik and 2 sxt, and internet was on 1st sxt (omni was like a repeater to get signal to the 2nd location). i got like 35-40% of total bandwidth.

KaptenBrum
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:31 am

Thank you for your reply.
Was it slower on both wireless sites or just on the third point, after the ”repeater”?
In my user case it should not matter with a bit of speed loss at the third site. I am counting on getting ~1Gbit link since the distances are short, and it is only the second point that would benefit from this. The third point would be enough with 200 mbit.

igorr29

Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:19 am

actually 60ghz units are full duplex, meaning 1gbps/1gbps all the time.
as long as your mid point is not using internet, the 3rd point should be able to use full bandwidth. or close to full bandwidth.