Community discussions

MikroTik App

svenvg93
just joined
Topic Author

Slow download on some files

Fri Feb 02, 2024 8:10 pm

Hello,
Im in the proces of settings up a CCR2004 for in our testlab to handle the internet connection.

Now im having a weird problem. Everything seems to work fine. When doing a speedtest on Ookla we are getting full line rate speeds.
But when we try to download for example a bin file or RPM file from different sources the download is not more then 500Kb. When downloading a zip file for example the speeds are 25Mb. That is already much better. iPerf download test is also around the 25.

Upload
[SUM] 0.00-60.00 sec 6.55 GBytes 937 Mbits/sec sender
[SUM] 0.00-60.00 sec 6.55 GBytes 937 Mbits/sec receiver
Download
[SUM] 0.00-60.00 sec 173 MBytes 24.2 Mbits/sec 11145 sender
[SUM] 0.00-60.00 sec 171 MBytes 23.9 Mbits/sec receiver

What we tried;
- Switched to ethernet uplink instead of sfp
- Tried another client to do the download test
- Tried with linux and windows to do the download test.
- Run a iPerf test on a client (940 upload - 40 download.
Please advices on how we can solve this problem. Attached are screenshots of the test we have done, and the configuration we are using at the moment.

Also if there is anything important missing in the config please lets us know as well
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tangent on Fri Feb 02, 2024 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: typo fix

JazzMaster
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Slow download on some files

Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:52 pm

You should try the download again after you disable FASTRACK.

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:42 am

/ip dhcp-server network
add address=172.10.10.0/24 dns-server=172.10.10.1 domain=cpelab.local \
    gateway=172.10.10.1 netmask=24

Nit: the ".local" TLD is for mDNS, not general use. There are better choices available.

As to your actual problem, I don't see anything obviously wrong with your config. The fact that a speed test site goes at line rate and everything else slows down says someone's throttling the normal conns, and if I'm right, it isn't you. It looks to me like your ISP provisioned a 25 megabit connection for you on a gigabit line.

nichky
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:01 am

svenvg93
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:42 pm

You should try the download again after you disable FASTRACK.
I disabled fastrack in the firewall rules, rebooted it and tested it again. Still around the 25 Mbits/sec
/ip dhcp-server network
add address=172.10.10.0/24 dns-server=172.10.10.1 domain=cpelab.local \
    gateway=172.10.10.1 netmask=24
Nit: the ".local" TLD is for mDNS, not general use. There are better choices available.
As to your actual problem, I don't see anything obviously wrong with your config. The fact that a speed test site goes at line rate and everything else slows down says someone's throttling the normal conns, and if I'm right, it isn't you. It looks to me like your ISP provisioned a 25 megabit connection for you on a gigabit line.
I will change the TLD later ;)
When I connected the ISP supplied router im getting full speed downloads, so the provisioned speed is good. They don't have any limitation for own routers.
Tried it, same speeds as before 234 KB/s

Also tried with an empty config, only a src nat masq rule on the default 192.168.88.x interfaces and im getting the same results.
Slowly start to think it's either the vlan on the WAN, or maybe a hardware failure.
Last edited by svenvg93 on Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 04, 2024 12:47 am

Also tried with an empty config, only a src nat masq rule on the default 192.168.88.x interfaces and im getting the same results.

That's very helpful.

To be clear, by "empty" and "default," you mean you didn't try to reapply any of the VLAN configuration stuff we see in the attachment above?

What is the purpose of declaring the Internet link to be VLAN 300 anyway?

maybe a hardware failure.

That theory might fly if every connection did the same thing, but as you show in your initial post, Ookla's site gives full speed. Why would the hardware be kind to Ookla and unkind to everyone else? How would it even make that distinction?

No, this is a configuration or compatibility issue, somewhere.

svenvg93
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:42 am

That's very helpful.

To be clear, by "empty" and "default," you mean you didn't try to reapply any of the VLAN configuration stuff we see in the attachment above?
With default I mean I didn't try to any firewall rules etc. There is the VLAN go get internet, src nat and that's it.
Internet is delivered on that VLAN by the ISP, I needed to get a IP ;).

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:11 am

I am inclined to go with this line of thought as well given the presented info so far.

@svenvg93
You need to find a way to hook a PC directly to the ISP modem or use some other router which can act as in-between.
If the same issues appear then, it's most likely an ISP issue.
Did you already ask them about your problem ? Maybe someone responds "ah yes, we may still have to flip this switch"

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 04, 2024 11:28 am

Internet is delivered on that VLAN by the ISP, I needed to get a IP ;).

That was my assumption, but I wanted to check.

I don't see any use of "PVID" here. Are you certain all WAN ingress frames are tagged? I also don't see any VLAN ingress filtering, so perhaps it doesn't matter, but one then wonders what becomes of such frames.

Have you given @pcuinte's VLAN tutorial a read-through?

svenvg93
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Slow download on some files  [SOLVED]

Sun Mar 10, 2024 10:50 am

Update:
Problem was on the ISP side. They had a bad link in one of the bundles towards our locations. Their load balancing sent the traffic from the mirkotik over the bad link and their CPE over the good one. They fixed the link its all good now.