Community discussions

MikroTik App

Wizzo11
just joined
Topic Author

Multicast over OSPF/MPLS

Sun Feb 04, 2024 9:59 pm

Hi everyone, I have a 7 site OSPF/MPLS network running in the lab and I’m trying to get multicast traffic to pass across it. I have watched every video, read every post regarding PIM…and I just can’t for the life of me get it to work. Its passing with in the /24 subnet of the bridge but will not transit the OSPF to an adjacent site. I have read that multicast may not be working very well in 7.xx has anyone had success in rOS7?

DarkNate
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Multicast over OSPF/MPLS

Mon Feb 05, 2024 1:24 am

PIM-SM is fairly stable on RouterOS v7 latest versions.

It's likely a design/config issue on your end. Use VPLS to transport the layer 2, run PIM-SM on top of the tagged VLANs which rides on top of the VPLS.

Wizzo11
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:23 am

I assumed that it’s something I am doing wrong. Let me see if I’m following what you’re saying. For simplicity sake let’s say I have r1 — r2 — r3 with OSPF up and running all three routers have a 10.101.x.0/24 network assigned to a bridge. That network is what I want my multicast to flow across with r2 as my static RP. Are you saying I build VPLS pipes between 1 and 2 as well as 2 and 3, create say vlan101 that runs through those VPLS pipes, tag the bridges with vlan id 101 and untag the ports in those bridges? In reality, I have 7 sites with multiple routes available to each one for high availability. I have attached the exports from the RP and a neighbor I was using as the control to get the multicast working. As well as a full network diagram.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Wizzo11 on Mon Feb 05, 2024 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

DarkNate
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 05, 2024 10:05 am

This network is fairly big and needs proper consultation work.

MPLS/VPLS should be used for inter-site transport, from access ports of each PE router to wherever you want to terminate the VPLS endpoint.

VPLS is member of bridge, bridge contains all access ports + VPLS, VPLS is tagged Ethernet. Uplink ports in PE router is not in bridge.

But again, this needs end to end consultation work for proper implementation. I can only share pointers.

When the design is fixed and implemented correctly, you run PIM-SM on the relevant layer 3 sub-interface VLANs that are/were transported across these sites using VPLS.

sid5632
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Feb 05, 2024 2:45 pm

IAs well as a full network diagram.
Your diagram is inconsistent with itself. Mismatched subnets in several places and no indication of which interface pertains to which link.