MikroTik App

woro
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

wave2 roaming and access lists

Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:46 am

Hi,

in the past I had some good experience with defining access lists for signal strength in my capsman setup so that CAPs kicked out devices when the signal was getting really weak to help move them to another closer AP.

Now I switched to the new wifi with better roaming support for some devices but still have an RB4011 which runs the older wireless (because the incomplete support from wifi-qcom-ac).

When I switched I removed the access restrictions but then when a device gets closer to the RB4011 it was very eagerly connected to the primary capsman wifi even if there was no useful connection anymore (like -89).
So I re-introduced the access list to let the wifiwave network kick the device to connect to the RB4011.
This seems to work in general but I have the feeling that roaming within the wifiwave is somewhat less well working.

Here is an example from the logs:
AA:70:F8:8A:AC:8C@eg-2g roamed to AA:70:F8:8A:AC:8C@eg-5g, signal strength -86
AA:70:F8:8A:AC:8C@eg-5g disconnected, too weak signal, signal strength -85

I somewhat understand why 5G is preferred over 2G but roaming to a signal of -86 sounds like a bad idea? At least my access list does not allow that. Now in the worst case this game is going on for a while making the wifi unusable.

So my question is:
If access lists (which were somewhat common practice to use) are "bad" for wave2 is there another proposal how I can improve the "roaming" to the non-roaming wifi?
Any ideas, hints, feedback?

Thanks,
Wolfgang

complete2006
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: wave2 roaming and access lists

Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:35 am

I am interested too to know that. Since migration Wifi from Ubiquitti to Mikrotik it is bad.

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 20, 2024 10:41 am

Drop the 2.4GHz support on the RB4011 and use the wifi-qcom-ac driver on it as well. Then you can have all the benefits of the driver.

woro
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:10 am

Drop the 2.4GHz support on the RB4011 and use the wifi-qcom-ac driver on it as well. Then you can have all the benefits of the driver.
Unfortunately that is not useful in my scenario. The location where the RB4011 is located is fixed and the 5GHz network does not cover all the required area (and I may need it for IoT devices as well).
The only other option would be to disable wifi on the RB4011 completely and put something like an ax2 or ax lite besides the 4011 but yet another power consumer. Buying the RB4011 ("the flagship") was probably one of my worst decisions :-(