Community discussions

MikroTik App

JohnyMielony
just joined
Topic Author

VLANs and firewall

Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:29 pm

Hi,
is it normal behaviour of Mikrotik router that when I create VLANs traffic between them can move without any additional firewall rules?
Do I have to create explicit firewall rules when I don't want that traffic between VLANs?

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: VLANs and firewall

Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:38 pm

You do have to explicitely block inter VLAN traffic (which makes sense).
Better (in my opinion) is doing it the other way around: explicitely accept and block everything else.

JohnyMielony
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:14 pm

Thanks for fast reply.
Router was configured by someone else, now it is my job to maintain it and do new configs.
I thought it was that way maybe because of that existing configuration. Now it's clear.
Is there a way to block it by default? Or only by firewall, for eg. drop any -> any?

Mesquite

Wed Feb 21, 2024 10:49 pm

Dont know your current setup but this is the basic default rule setup with the switch done. Block all, use accept rules to add traffic to be allowed ( just before the drop all rule ). Stops vlan to vlan traffic cold.

/ip firewall filter
{Input Chain}
( default rules to keep )
add action=accept chain=input comment="defconf: accept established,related,untracked" connection-state=established,related,untracked
add action=drop chain=input comment="defconf: drop invalid" connection-state=invalid
add action=accept chain=input comment="defconf: accept ICMP" protocol=icmp
add action=accept chain=input comment="defconf: accept to local loopback (for CAPsMAN)" dst-address=127.0.0.1
( admin added rules )
add action=accept chain=input in-interface-list=LAN
add action=drop chain=input comment="drop all else" { put this rule in last, without the LAN rule above you will be locked out }
{forward chain}
( default rules to keep )
add action=fasttrack-connection chain=forward comment="defconf: fasttrack" connection-state=established,related
add action=accept chain=forward comment="defconf: accept established,related, untracked" connection-state=established,related,untracked
add action=drop chain=forward comment="defconf: drop invalid" connection-state=invalid
( admin added rules )
add action=accept chain=forward comment="allow internet traffic" in-interface-list=LAN out-interface-list=WAN[/b]
add action=accept chain=forward comment="allow port forwarding" connection-nat-state=dstnat[/color] { disable or remove if not required }
add action=drop chain=forward comment="drop all else"

JohnyMielony
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:42 am

I assume that it should be in that particular order.
Ideally I should clear all my config, add this and then extend it to my needs, right?

Mesquite

Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:11 pm

Something like that yes.......
Why would you think order of rules is not important?
Also the organization of chains together is for easy reading/understanding and supportive of troubleshooting.