Community discussions

MikroTik App

galp
just joined
Topic Author

CRS328-24P-4S+RM fan upgrade

Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:34 pm

Hi Everyone!

I read a lot of forums where fans are being replaced because of noise levels.
For me, noise is not a factor and unfortunately, I need to increase the cooling performance of my CRS328-24P-4S+RM.
I would have to install such devices in poorly ventilated and hot RACK cabinets and I'm not sure if even 4 more of the factory fans would be enough.
Factory fans 12V 0,2A 7000 rpm. If I read it correctly, the cooling capacity is ~11 CFM.
I want to install 4 pcs 12V 0.6A ~17000rpm fans with a cooling capacity of ~23 CFM.

Does anyone have information on how much maximum current the fan ports on the motherboard can handle without any problem or damage?

Thank you!

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CRS328-24P-4S+RM fan upgrade

Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:55 am

I would have to install such devices in poorly ventilated and hot RACK cabinets ...

I'm not sure if your plan is going to work in these conditions. The task of fans is to move ambient air efficiently through device with focus on air flow over hot surfaces. And assumption is that ambient air is sufficiently cold at all times (the environment temperature specification is about that).
If you place a device inside a cabinet, then the environment, referred to in specs, is actually inside of your rack. And if the rack is poorly ventilated to the extent that heat dissipation doesn't allow to dissipate heat, generated inside cabinet, at reasonably low internal temperatures, then no amount of in-device ventilation will help ... Sure, you can dissipate 500W of heat even only via cabinet walls (without ventilation), but the temperature difference between inside and outside of cabinet will have to be big, meaning that in normal circumstances temperature inside the cabinet will be very high.

So you really should consider getting cabinet ventilation to acceptable levels ...

galp
just joined
Topic Author

Re: CRS328-24P-4S+RM fan upgrade

Thu Feb 29, 2024 10:07 am

mkx thank you for your reply!

You're absolutely right and I'm aware of it, but unfortunately the room where the rack is is not air-conditioned.
The rack has a fan board to extract the air, but unfortunately the temperature is very high in summer.

My other idea was to make the network with few netPower16P and the wire out from the rack.