Community discussions

MikroTik App

stef70
Topic Author

Suggestions for a new setup

Mon Mar 04, 2024 5:44 pm

Good morning,
I am not a very good expert in configuring Mikrotik, but quite enough to manage basic setup. I already have some LTE routers connected to alarm systems and they work great.

I am going to get a new router ( model 5009 ) to replace the one provided by my ISP.
I have a FTTH line and a optical termination \ Nokia ONT @ 2.5 Gbps, but capped at 1 Gbps according to my subscription. To the ethernet port of the ONT there is the WAN port of the ISP router. I also have LTE usb stick with a public IP SIM card, to be used for backup purpose in case of faults on the fiber.

My goal is have a Mikrotik to replace the ISP router:
- Internet traffic runs on a specific VLAN, so the Mikrotik should manage it.
- Voice traffic runs on a second VLAN and this should be forwared to a specific LAN port, UNTAGGED
- I have 3 ports opened so incoming traffic from the internet to such ports should be forwarded inside my LAN to 3 different hosts
- in case of no internet on the WAN port (the one connected to the ONT), the router should bring up the LTE USB dongle ( model k5160) and reroute there.
Since I have a public IP on both the FTTH and the mobile data, I need to access my LAN from outside even in the case the router is running on mobile.

Do you see any problems in managing this landscape with a 5009 ?

Thanks

jaclaz
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Suggestions for a new setup

Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:22 pm

From the little I know the plan seems sound. :)

The only possible issue could be related to the compatibility of your existing USB LTE device, I have seen some reports of problems with some devices on USB3 ports (like the one the RB5009 has) but not (AFAIK) a definite list of which one have issues and which ones work fine, the list here:
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/Peripherals
is about supported models by RoS (and the K5160 is there alright so it is supported), but still it has to be tested in practice.

stef70
Topic Author

Re: Suggestions for a new setup

Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:55 pm

The only possible issue could be related to the compatibility of your existing USB LTE device
I had a look days ago to the compatibility list you mentioned and I see there the k5160.

Anyway... if someone can suggest a "certified" USB LTE stick... more than welcome... I can get it, but I do not know if this exist