Community discussions

MikroTik App

robmaltsystems
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Misunderstanding how frequency list is supposed to work?

Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:36 am

RB2011UiAS running ROS v7.14 with four cAP ac’s also running same version. Controlled via CAPsMAN. I’ve got the channel configured as shown below. I would expect this to do radar check on 5500 (1 min CAG) and if it detects a radar, fall back to 5180. However, it says, “Selecting channel” and then immediately chooses 5180. Doesn’t even do a radar check. If I remove 5180 from below, it does the radar check and then selects 5500. BTW – I’ve never seen any radar events at this site. I don’t want to leave just 5500 in there because I’ve come across situation where a future radar event ended up with the 5GHz interface getting disabled, although this is on the hAP ax2 mentioned below.

I’ve got a hAP ax2 at home and this is configured in a similar manner (not CAPsMAN though) and it works as expected. Does radar check and selects 5500.

I am misunderstanding how this frequency list is supposed to work?

This is a short-ish video of what happens: https://maltsystems-my.sharepoint.com/: ... w?e=EPFhX0

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Misunderstanding how frequency list is supposed to work?

Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:10 am

AFAIK frequencies on list are not "priority by order". Device does a quick check over allowed frequencies and selects the one with least detected "noise" ... if it's a DFS frequency, then it has to perform CAC as well.

robmaltsystems
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Re: Misunderstanding how frequency list is supposed to work?

Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:59 am

Hmm well that's interesting because 5180 is by far the most congested frequency at this site as other neighbour access points tend to use that frequency. I've removed 5180 at the moment so they connect to the required frequency. However, the scan is taken from a laptop I have remote access to which is in a cupboard and only close to the first one on channel 52/5260. I'll do some tests on that access point as it doesn't look congested. I'm guessing there is a noise level status somewhere. I'll have to revisit the site to carry out more checks nearer the access points.