Community discussions

MikroTik App

alvaromunoz
just joined
Topic Author

Wired mesh network?

Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:53 pm

Hi! I want to set up the network in my home (2 story house plus a basement), and was planning to set up something simple, but don't know if it's the best way to do so.

I was planning ONT > Router > switch >>> multiple APs, but would also like to have some kind of "wifi mesh" for user to not lose signal when moving between APs. Today in my apartment I have 2 eero boxes provided by the ISP, but would like to have a bit more control when I move into my house...

Don't know which microtik products would be able to do this. Audience seems a bit overkill if I'll have wired connections all over the house.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Wired mesh network?  [SOLVED]

Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:14 pm

Wired is always better for connecting APs. Always.

1 router as capsman controller, your choice if you pick a plain router or a wifi router.
1 AP per floor (minus 1 if the router is also providing wifi).
APs ceiling mounted or not ?

Without knowing further details:
1x RB5009 as router (or AX2/AX3 if you want one with wifi)
3x AX2 or cap AX (advantage with AX2 is you will have additional ether ports for connecting local gear).

alvaromunoz
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Wired mesh network?

Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:33 am

Thanks! Yeah, I plan to wire the whole house with Ethernet ports (hopefully 2.5gbps).

I don’t think ceiling WiFi is an alternative, will have to check with the architect. But if so, poe all the way.

Thanks again!

alvaromunoz
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:22 pm

Sorry to not close this post yet, but regarding the "mesh"functionality (what I mean is being able to transparently switch from AP to AP), does capsman handle that by itself? or is there another technical name for that in the documentation?

neki

Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:38 pm

Hi, you can search for 802.11r or fast transition. Basically you have to have same SSID and security (thats the CAPsMAN job) and then one DHCP (for whole network) and that should be it.. :)

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 13, 2024 2:44 pm

Correct.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:52 pm

The EERO lineup am familiar with as a family member just got some and they are rated at 6E. https://eero.com/shop/eero-pro-6e
Yes they talk to each other over wifi if required or you can wire them directly but to take full advantage of their 6E speed, 2.5 gig ports are best.

After reviewing these products, there is absolutely NO need to get MT or any other wifi products as these will produce a higher speed mesh network with little fuss.
Easily connected to MT router as well.

When ISPs offer this bad boy, it will be even sweeter --> https://support.eero.com/hc/en-us/artic ... eero-Max-7

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

CAVEAT - Problem --> Single LAN! They are nice but TOO simple and really for the basic homeowner that doesnt know what a VLAN is. They can provide a safe guest network but thats about it.

Conclusion:
Need a single LAN wifi mesh setup, and you have TV through your ISP provider, look no further than their EERO provided setup - no extra cost and it works!
The only question is if you want to user their provided router. Personally, I still prefer to run a cable to my MT router for the granularity and functionality I need and to keep ISP provider out of my beeswax.

Need a Multi-Subnet Network on wifi ( aka vlans ) - then you need another solution such as MT AX, or TPLINK 6E mesh products (690E HD) which do process vlans, however, with WIFI 7 coming, I would actually use the EERO and then make a purchase of WIFI 7 products when available and be happy with current 6E EERO output, MAIN WIFI for all my stuff and use the guest network for guests and anything 2.4 IOT ish...

( geez just noticed eap773 is avail at not a bad price point $233Cdn cheaper than the 690hd)

Note all business class APs, be they MT, and other vendors offer mesh capabilities. The advantage of EERO is that its provided gratis from your ISP TV provider............. and they seem to keep pace with bleeding technology. The only reason for someone with provided eero to get other solutions is the need for multiple vlans.........

( the family member in our case, has their eeros feeding stupid android tv boxes 2.4/5ghz wifi , great for vid codecs and all, but only comes with 10/100 etherport, which is why i moved to appletv long ago. )