Community discussions

MikroTik App

unkis17
just joined
Topic Author

IP Cloud vs DuckDNS

Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:38 am

New HAP AX3 owner and I am trying to learn the MT features and interface.

In my previous setup I was using DuckDNS via pfSense VM. Today I am learning about IP Cloud via MT and that I can have SN###.Domain.com instead.

Is there any reason to use one over the other?

I saw there is a Script on GitHub to handle the DuckDNS in MT console, but I do not know how to use the command line interface yet as a home hobbyest.

For now I only plan on using VPN in from outside the home network when traveling should the need arise. I used to SSH in via port forward, but I figure VPN is better.

Any feedback would be great

Unkis

CGGXANNX
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: IP Cloud vs DuckDNS

Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:11 am

Personally, I use the SNxxxxx address provided by /ip cloud. That's 1 fewer script to maintain. And it has been pretty reliable. If you have a domain that you own, you can also create a CNAME subdomain and point it to the SNxxxx one, so you no longer have to remember the router's serial number.

There's also the Back-to-Home feature if you don't want to tinkle with the configurations of VPNs manually.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:49 pm

Rarely but it does happen where IP cloud is not available, in that case a backup is not a bad idea. But yes IP cloud is very handy.

unkis17
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:12 pm

All,

Thanks for the feedback. I will try and give IP Cloud a try then, seems quite simple and learn something new.

Thank you,

Unkis

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:03 pm

As an example I have a mikrotik that I reach at a remote location,
In my firewall address list I put the IP Cloud URL name=RemoteRouter

Then in rules I can use interface-list=RemoteRouter and my local router resolves that for me. Very handy