Community discussions

MikroTik App

sjkoske
just joined
Topic Author

DNS issue when DNS shouldn't even be at play?

Fri Mar 15, 2024 4:57 pm

I am working on testing WAN failover for our mikrotik ac2 we use for our phone system. I have a segmented test network (192.168.100.0) with a sonicwall acting as our gateway/firewall. Essentially I am treating the sonicwall as our "internet".

The sonicwall has a DHCP scope of 100.100 - 100.200.

The network is set up like so: Sonicwall(100.1) ---> Unmanaged switch------> Mikrotik (WAN1=100.211, WAN2=100.212, LAN/Bridge = 88.1) -----> Workstation (Dynamic 88.0 address)

I have set up the default routes for WAN1 and WAN2 with the "check gateway" option with WAN2's distance being higher than WAN1's.

I set up a continuous ping on the workstation pinging the sonicwall (100.1) with both WAN1 and WAN2 connected to the switch.

Initially, I am receiving replies and can see that WAN1 is active (AS). When i unplug WAN1, I can see that WAN2's route becomes active (AS), however, I stop receiving replies.

What I don't understand is that if I leave WAN1 unplugged and do an "ipconfig /flushdns", I start receiving replies again. I don't know how this could be as I am not pinging names, but addresses.

Additionally, when I run a tracert with WAN1 unplugged and my workstation not recieving ping replies, the tracert successfully reaches the Sonicwall (100.1). I really don't know what is going on as I know tracert just uses ICMP like pinging does.

Could my issue be involved with NetBIOS in some way? I am really stuck here.