Community discussions

MikroTik App

Omerik
Topic Author

Merge Internet Service Poviders (SIM & WiFi)

Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:54 am

Goodmorning,

hope this is the right place where to post and ask some advice, otherwise cancel and please suggest me the right place..

I do have an WAP ac LTE6 Router OS Vs. 6.49.13-

I would like to "merge" the Internet Service Provider of the installed SIM with an external WiFi to "increase" the speed and have an uninterrupted service.
Sum + share availability of the service.

Sometime The external Wifi goes down or the Internet Service of the SIM goes down.

Since I do have two WiFi channel, is it possible to "connect" one of those two channels (the 5Ghz one) as WAN and keep the 2Ghz channel as LAN ?

Thank you for your time folks.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Merge Internet Service Poviders (SIM & WiFi)

Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:52 pm

Mikrotik can't "Combine" the 2 services per se without help.

You need to look into a service that does this. Something like Big Leaf or Speedify.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:13 pm

Using PCC you can combine both WAN-channels but it will not result in increased speed since every connection you start will have to go over one or the other.
But if one goes down, the other will take the full load.

I have an AC3 LTE running like that on a 'challenging' place (no decent ISP to be found there) with 25-35Mb LTE and 10-20Mb DSL (if I'm lucky).

Checkout this video from Mikrotik - Martins but make sure to have a good look at everything which is shown on screen since not everything is explicitly said.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlb7XAv57tw

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:13 pm

holvoetn

Back in the day I was fine with PCC... but then I saw all sort of things break with the round robin version of connections.

Then you start making rules to keep things on one side or the other and use of the circuits doesn't even come close to equal. Certainly no where near combining or speeding things up at all.

Then the whole mess when a circuit is "shakey" and not quite down.

Which I can't get to behave 100% with straight roll over.

A live connection has to be severed to move to the other circuit. This causes the WAN IP to change. Killing phone calls and wifi calling. Signing out services. Forcing the other side to make a new connection... then set up the encryption again.

Its just such a 1/2 assed way of dealing with things.

I just gave up and pay for someone else to actually look at the traffic from moment to moment and shift between circuits in live time. Balance between and even COMBINE to increase speeds... It makes all the difference in the world with IP video services... If your WAN IP suddenly changes... you had to go back and sign in again??? SCREW THAT!

Hence I try to help others to "just skip right over the mistakes I already made."

"Eventus stultorum magister"
~Johnny Ringo