Community discussions

MikroTik App

alexantao
just joined
Topic Author

Config returning after reboot

Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:35 pm

Hi,

I have a HEXs, but this issue was happening on my RG350 router too (configuration migrated from one to another).
I had setup a IP poll called VPN. Since I didn't need it anymore, I deleted it. But everytime I rebot the router, the VPN pool comes back !
I could also see that some manual routes I also deleted had came back too. I delete them, but they come back after a reboot. And also some FW rules I had disabled, they came back enabled too. I don´t know what more configs are returning from the last state.

How can I trace what's making them come back ??? Is there a way ?

FW version 7.14.

Thanks for any help.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Config returning after reboot

Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:44 pm

If flash is full (or there's only very little free space), then changes in config are not (successfully) saved to flash any more. One has to make some more space. Either by removing some files (e.g. old backup files). Or if there are some optional package files installed, uninstall one (it can very probably be reinstalled after reduction of configuration size&complexity). You're mentioning hEX S, so you can safely uninstall wireless package (unless you're running legacy CAPsMAN on this device).
If everything else fails, netinstall is still an option.

alexantao
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:19 pm

It makes no sense.

It's a brand new device, so it is empty, only confguration was restored. No extra files, nothing.
The wireless package was indeed installed, but I'va had it removed. I removed it, and after that, I upgraded to 7.14.2 (it was 7.14). After that, everything I had done vanished. Firewall rules, OVPN Certificates (I had deleted and created others), routes, Pools... everything I had done came back as it was before the boot (including the certificates...).

It's behaving as it was in Safe mode....

UPDATE: IN FACT, I'm using it now, and an IP pool that I had just deleted just came back, without reboot. SOOOOOO strange....

alexantao
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Mar 27, 2024 8:12 pm

Hum.... i just found this log :
ppp profile <default-encryption> changed by  (/ppp profile set *FFFFFFFE local-address=192.168.89.1 remote-address=vpn use-encryption=yes)
I went to PPP Profile config, and the default-encription was configured to this pool (that I had deleted) and this IP address (wich does not exists).
My thoughts is that someway it is recreating those configurations to provide the configuration to this profile. But I don't know how it chooses the IP range, because I had deleted, and it creates the vpn pool from .2 to .250.

I have just changed the default-encription (wich I do not use) and will monitor to see is configs return again.

CGGXANNX
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:22 am

I have a HEXs, but this issue was happening on my RG350 router too (configuration migrated from one to another).

Hm

It's a brand new device, so it is empty, only confguration was restored. No extra files, nothing.

How did you "migrate" the configuration? Did you restore from a previous backup? You should NEVER restore backups across device models. It's even not recommended across devices of the same model (due to MAC addresses). You should only restore to the same device the backup file was previously create from. For all other cases, you should export the old configuration to a .rsc text file and manually recreate the configuration on the new device from it.

alexantao
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:17 pm

Yes, I did that. Didn´t know I couldn't backup for me is made for restore easiy but I din't think that the backup could store mac address, if I did not set any.

I'll try to backup again and make a factory reset to configure from zero someday.

thanks.