Community discussions

MikroTik App

Energizer
just joined
Topic Author

Device questions for new home network

Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:05 pm

Hi all,

I need some help on what kind of hardware I should buy. I have only previous experience in the normal networking devices for consumers, but would like to do it properly (and learn) now as I'm getting a 1Gb fibre. Kids keeps telling me he dies in Fortnite because of ping, trying to improve that a bit (first it was fps, then keyboard, then mouse, they have been solved one by one, but now it is the 4g or 5g network ping)...

My needs are fast router (closet 5+ ports), wifi 6 to house (2 floors, 75m2 each, wooden structure) and a storage room (slow wifi 5+ethernet iot devices). In my dream I have LAN, GUEST & IOT VLANs firewalled.

I originally thought the rb5009 poe version, one cap ax with poe (adapteri included I think) to middle of the house and some light weight hap (3 or more ports) with poe to the storage. But if I understood it right the PoE power from the router is not enough to power these devices.

So, then I thought the normal RB5009 would be the router. But then for the APs I need help. I have been reading about capsman v2 and v1 issue if I have an AX and one older AP (also dont like buying old hardware). Then someone had issue on a Hap if he had configured all ports and also wifi with VLANs, somehow it did not work (I need all ports on hap to be in IOT vlan). I have read that some older devices dont have enough storage for the new wifi package.

The more I read, the more confused I get. 🙂 Originally I also thought I'd want to setup some QOS to prioritize kids traffic over other, but not sure can it be achieved or does it make se se for a fast connection (one reason for the rb5009 as it is powerful)

My latest choice of devices are rb5009, cap ax & hap ax2 (+1gb poe adapteri). I would highly appreciate if someone with more experience could help me out a bit to choose a working bunch of devices. Can at least in theory the devices be configured as I described?

Long text, thank you already for your time. 👍