Community discussions

MikroTik App

daniunderwood
just joined
Topic Author

What is the best way to learn RouterOS?

Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:32 pm

I am looking at using MikroTik routers for VPN connections, but I am sure as our network grows, I will be using more features. I found two books online: RouterOS by Examsmash kartsple, and Learn RouterOS. I have RouterOS by Example, but I would like to learn more about routing functions. Any good resources that don't entail traveling? I would also like to mention that I am not immediately concerned with becoming certified at this point.

pimmie

Re: What is the best way to learn RouterOS?

Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:25 pm

By doing it.

But most importantly learn about how network technologies work in general, not just how to do something in RouterOS. F.e. if you want to setup a VPN connection, do you mean Wireguard, Ipsec or OpenVPN? Learn about the differences, then read up about the one you choose. Only after that you should start looking into how the chosen VPN technology can be configured within RouterOS.

Most RouterOS commands also seem to have a >80% overlap with their counterpart Linux commands, so it also helps to setup inter connectivity between RouterOS and Linux to learn about how things work. Other network vendors might do things differently too, if you are already familiar with one of the other vendors also good to setup inter connectivity with that vendor instead of linux.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: What is the best way to learn RouterOS?

Fri Apr 05, 2024 2:26 pm

By doing it.
By far the best way but quite resource intensive. For me it allows me to embed things a lot faster then simply reading or class courses.
But it requires a lot of time to follow this approach.

Get a rather cheap device to start and play with it. My first was Hex, I still use it.
Setup things, test, read help pages and this forum, change config, hit a wall, reset config, restart ...
Rinse and repeat :lol: