Community discussions

MikroTik App

0xAA55
just joined
Topic Author

Intel MIMO Power Save Mode Issues

Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:11 pm

I've been having issues with a few devices connected to my L009UiGS-2HaxD that have Intel Network Cards that support MIMO Power Save Mode.

At first I noticed that if I started a MS Teams call and it lasted a while, like 20mins or so, the connection would start to drop every 5 to 10 seconds. I noticed in my router logs the client was disconnecting and reconnecting just seconds later. I incorrectly identified my issue with one another user was having on the board here: viewtopic.php?p=1066496#p1066496

Then I incorrectly believed it was due to Windows Power Save settings which was only part of the problem. There was a secret other power save mode hidden deep in the Wifi Properties called Intel MIMO Power Save Mode.

After I found that setting and turned it to "No SMPS" the laptop stopped disconnecting/reconnecting. I found this post: https://community.intel.com/t5/Wireless ... m-p/645671 which talks about disabling it if you experience spotty wifi and describes the different modes.

MIMO power save mode

MIMO power save mode, also known as spatial multiplexing power save (SMPS) mode, allows the client to save power by keeping one antenna in a receive idle state.

Auto SMPS (default): The client decides automatically what SMPS mode to apply depends on different conditions.
Dynamic SMPS: The client keeps only one antenna active. The access point (AP) must send request to send (RTS) packet to trigger the client to wake the sleeping radios/antenna before sending MIMO packets.
Static SMPS: The client keeps only one antenna active and the AP cannot send MIMO packets to the client.
No SMPS: The client always keeps all antennas active and the AP can send MIMO packets to the client.

I think the issue is it was selecting Dynamic SMPS and the AP must sent a packet to wake the client.

1, Is there a way to enable this feature on the router side?
2. The internet connections are in an active teams call, both AP and Client are broadcasting constantly, it seems strange the laptop would engage this power save mode at all. What's going on here? Is this a bug?