Community discussions

MikroTik App

salooomus
just joined
Topic Author

Whats are the functions of these menus????

Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:30 am

hi every body

First of all I know that i asked many questions so please i dont wanna to bother you but forgive me im still a beginner in MT world.
Here are my questions ,
the first one is about the (hosts) menu in IP > Hotspot .. i know that it includes the hosts who are connected to network ok but i found that beside each mac a letter such as ( D , AD , DH ..etc ) so what is meaning of these letters and i highlited it in the pic :

And the second question is about the (leases) menu in IP > Dhcp server .. what is the function of that menu and what is the meaning of (leases) .. I have noticed something about that matter which is that sometimes a pc browser doesnt redirect to MT login page in order to login and start using internet but instead the browser gives the message (this page cant be displayed) and then i find the ip and the mac of this pc in this ( leases ) menu so what is the realtion between these two operations . Here is a pic for what i mean

and the last question is about the meaning and the difference between ( bound , idle , and waiting) in the status menu

Thanks for your patience

aldalil
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Whats are the functions of these menus????

Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:04 am

For the first question regarding the Hotspot hosts:
AD: Detected & Authorized.
A: Authorized, but not Queue rule.
PS: Binding & bypassed
H , I'm not sure what is it for, I didn't notice it before .. but I guess Host. Sure not hotspot, but maybe wireless hotspot ! Not sure, you have to double check :?

For second question, DHCP leased are those workstations who get an automatic IP address from the IP Pool related to the used DHCP server.

balimore
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:57 am

-----
Hai,
you can find it mean by command line interface, check it out and on top will give you.
/ip hot host print
/ip dhcp-ser lease print
regards
Hasbullah.com
-----

salooomus
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:46 pm

thanx alot but what is the relation between the leases and the matter i mentioned

aldalil
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:22 am

If you are using the ROS as a DHCP Server & Hotspot .. the scenario will be as follows:
1- A computer connect to the network, and take a DHCP address from the DHCP server (leasing an IP address for the user/subscriber)
2- Hotspot is accepting any request, and forward the packets to be passed through itself.
3- After authentication, the Hotspot is considering the leased DHCP address as the workstation IP, and provide a hotspot IP (from the hotspot assigned pool) to the user .. you can find that the hotspot host shows 2 IP addresses (From & To), some times the same (probably using fixed IP) & other times different (using Dynamic IP leased by the same DHCP server or any other DHCP server on the same network).
From, is the real workstation/subscriber/user IP address & To is the assigned or Natted IP address by the hotspot, so the hotspot is always dealing with the Natted IP address.

I hope this could help you to understand more what you are looking for.

salooomus
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:34 am

thank you very much