Community discussions

MikroTik App

isuru66
just joined
Topic Author

Help me on Dude Probe Interval

Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:55 am

Hi all,

in my PC, i have assigned probe interval = 10 sec, probe timeout = 15 sec and probe down count= 6.

Please can anyone describe what is the real meaning of above three values?
probe interval, probe timeou, probe down count???

What is the default value of those variables,

please suggest me good values for above fields.

Thanx
Isuru

BobT
just joined

Re: Help me on Dude Probe Interval

Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:32 pm

Default settings are 30 seconds for poll interval, 10 seconds for timeout, and downcount of 5.

The Dude (as well as most active monitoring systems) actively polls (queries) the devices that it is managing. This poll typically is a standard ICMP ping to determine if the device is still alive on the network. It can also be other things such as a check of a telnet, ssh, or http port. The poll interval is how often does it query (ping) a specific device. Default is 30 seconds, therefore The Dude will ping each device once every 30 seconds.

The timeout parameter is how long The Dude waits for a reply from a ping or check of a telnet, ssh, or http port before considering it a failed response.

The downcount parameter is how many failed responses are required before The Dude declares the device as a failed device.

Default situation is 30 second poll interval with 10 seconds timeout and downcount of 5. Therefore, you would have 5 polls at 30 second intervals plus 10 seconds would need to be failed before you see a declaration of a failed device (2 minutes and 40 seconds).

These parameters are adjustable because with a larger network you want to increase the poll interval to reduce network traffic from the monitoring system. The Dude however allows you to set the poll interval/timeout/downcount individually for each device. This way you can set a value that is good for your individual network as the default and then set values that are significantly smaller for high priority devices such as the company's main database server.

antiqued4
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:44 pm

In this case I understand, but all devices that I create takes 2 seconds it is already up. So let's say some device stops, when it comes back I would like it to ping at least 10 times to make sure it is on, at the exact moment it is 1 or 2.

luchinialexis
just joined

Tue Dec 14, 2021 4:15 pm

Estimados, retomo este post ya que me sucede que el timeout del polling no responde según las configuraciones; básicamente espero que no se envíe la alerta (en mi caso por correo) hasta pasado los 5 minutos pero en cuando se genera el down se envía el correo sin esperar el timeout.

Dear, I return to this post since it happens to me that the polling timeout does not respond according to the configurations; Basically I hope that the alert is not sent (in my case by mail) until after 5 minutes but when the down is generated the mail is sent without waiting for the timeout.

stmx38
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Jan 09, 2022 5:40 pm

Hello luchinialexis, some additional information about mentioned parameters - Dude Outage time and Service down time

If you want to get a notifications after service is down for 5 minutes, you probably can manage it using the following values:
Probe Interval: 30 seconds
Probe Timeout: 5 seconds
Probe Down Count: 10

30 x 10 = 300 seconds = 5 minutes

simogere
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:56 am

For example if we have:

Polling:
Probe Interval = 10 seconds
Probe Timeout = 5 seconds
Probe Down Count = 3

Ping probe:
Retry count = 3
Retry interval = 1s

You will receive a message that service is down at 00:00:23

Poll 1= poll from 00:00:00, failed at 00:00:03 due to ping probe settings
Poll 2= poll from 00:00:10, failed at 00:00:13 due to ping probe settings
Poll 3= poll from 00:00:20, failed at 00:00:23 due to ping probe settings -> Notification

With the default settings, you will receive a message that service is down at 00:02:03