MikroTik App

freebird
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Layer 2 Isolation for Hotspot users ??

Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:08 pm

Hi,

is there a way to seperate the hotspot clients from each other.

Other vendors call ist "Layer 2 Isolation" which means no ping, scan, hack from one hotspot client to the other is possible.

Is there such a feature in MT ?

Thanks

seandsl
--

djape

Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:15 pm

Yes there is. Turn off default forwarding on AP-bridge...

freebird
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:06 am

Thanks djape ...

AP sounds like WLAN. Router has no WLAN Interface ... where in manual du I found any hints regarding "default forwarding" and "bridge mode"??

seandsl

djape

Fri Mar 25, 2005 8:05 am

Well, Houston we got a problem :)

Unfortunatelly, you can't do that on ethernet interfaces, just wireless :(

On wireless interface you have option to disable default-authentication and default-forwarding and it is visible from wireless interface configuration menu...

wildbill442
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:56 pm

just setup your firewall rules so that all that traffic gets dropped..

Make a new firewall chain, and put a jump rule in the forward chain..

EDIT

Sorry, firewalling wont entirely do what you're trying to achieve, you'd need to use one of the solutions provided below.
Last edited by wildbill442 on Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

lastguru

Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:57 pm

I do not know, what other vendors say, I will just tell, what can be done theoretically on the Ethernet network, and what can not. Ethernet is a big mess when it comes to traffic control. Using regular equipment there is no way you can separate those users, as most hubs/switches are designed to connect networks, not just two preconfigured hosts (i think most of us would not like to have a switch which is only letting traffic to pass between two hardwired ports). Usually it is solved using one of the following paths (and both are supported by RouterOS):

1. Make individual virtual connections (tunnels) for every user to connect to the router. That way, no IP traffic is broadcasting to the network, and usually this means that users are considered separate. An example of this is PPPoE, which is supported by Routeros

2. If there is any unit of equipment which has the users physically separated (for example, a switch has each of the users connected with a separate wire), it may have an option to preserve this separation further, This is usually called VLAN technology, and although it was supposed to be used to separate networks, it can also be used to form an individual tunnel for each of the users. VLAN support is also present in RouterOS

ilero

Client Isolation

Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:35 pm

I am using hotspot to authenticate all of my users. I have the following setup:

MT -- 5 port switch -- (3) Smartbridge APs

I have disabled the client-to-client communications directly in the APs, but this does not prohibit a client of the one AP to communicate with a user of another.

How can I isolate all of the users? Can I use VLANs? How would that be implemented? VLAN switch? As long as I can isolate communications from AP to AP, then all of the users would be isolated.

Thoughts??? Thanks

freebird
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:11 am

Hi ilero,

VLAN on the switch is your friend. Put each of the three airpoints in one VLAN and the MT on the uplink port (all three VLANs).
So every airpoint can communicate with the MT but not with other airpoints

seandsl

ArtKZ
just joined

Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:26 pm

For isolate one client from another on ethernet and wireless interfaces (with running Hotspot), i'm using Universal client with "Respond to all ARP queries" turned on. MT respond to all ARP queries and doing impossible client to client traffic.