Community discussions

etis
just joined
Topic Author

WinBox security?

Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:54 pm

Hi,

Recently I wanted to try out a RouterOS minimal install on an older PIII machine. That means only the "system" package from the v3.13 install CD. After install I gave it an IP, identity and some password for the "admin" user.

I noted the description of the "security" package when you are presented with chosing the packages through the ROS installation:
Provides support for IPSEC, SSH and secure connectivity with WinBox.
As it was a minimal install; this package didn't made it's way to the box.

So I tried the following on the LAN:
  • Connect via WinBox; "Secure Mode" disabled. It works.
  • Connect via WinBox; "Secure Mode" enabled. It works, too. (Why?!)
  • Connect via telnet. It works.
  • Connect via SSH. Connection refused.
Now what? Two answers came in my mind:

1) The description on the install screen is wrong; you can use WinBox' "Secure Mode" without the "security" package being present on the MT device. Please correct the description. It happens; not a big issue...

2) So you really think that when you "talk" with WinBox in Secure Mode to ROS it's encrypted? Maybe no. Maybe WinBox doesn't give a sh!t to tell you it just switched back from RC4 (or whatever cipher it uses) to Plain Text (TM).

I cannot help but when I see SSH not happening without the "security" package I have to say that I consider the 2nd answer more likely. And I don't like it.

Please, state the facts.

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: WinBox security?

Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:34 pm

winbox will try port 8291 (secure mode) and if not then it will use port 80 (clear text). It doesnt warn you like it should. It should also perform check like ssh client, if ssh keys changed warn you that someone might be faking identity.

Sam
Colo and Wholesale Bandwidth Available! Sales at SanDiegoBroadband dot com

Gerard
Trainer
Trainer

Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:51 pm

Winbox used port 8291 for both secure and clear text modes..

I agree that it should warn you. The only way you know if you're secure or not is depending on the little lock at the top right.

-Gerard

etis
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:22 pm

Thank you both for the commits.

What do you suggest - should I contact MT developers and / or file a bug report?

etis
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:25 pm

One more question I found worth asking - is it possible in RouterOS to restrict the connections from WinBox only to encrypted ones?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:38 pm

what do you mean by "works"? if it connects, it doesn't mean that it happened securely, unless there is a little "lock" in the corner of the winbox window. without the security package it will connect anyway, but will ignore your wish for security, and that will be visible in the lack of the security icon
No answer to your question? How to write posts

etis
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:34 pm

By "works" I referred to the ability to connect to and control a RouterOS device through TCP/IP-based network.
if it connects, it doesn't mean that it happened securely, unless there is a little "lock" in the corner of the winbox window. without the security package it will connect anyway, but will ignore your wish for security, and that will be visible in the lack of the security icon
You're probably right. It was my false expectation that WinBox should warn me if it had to switch to non-secure mode despite having "Secure Mode" enabled.

But I don't like this behaviour and IMO it's not a way how a program like WinBox should act in this situation.

Maybe WinBox should display a warning message that an attempt to establish encrypted connection failed and whether the user want it to try witout encryption? Or just have a "Fallback To Non-encrypted Connection?" setting somewhere in WinBox and when it's false then the user has to manually un-check the "Secure Mode" box?

I don't know - maybe someone's going to find this "yet another dialog window" thingie annoying and will blindly click "Next", but if the user can set up how the program will react (see my 2nd suggestion) then IMO everyone will only benefit from it (except the WinBox devs, maybe 8) ).

EDIT: Forgot to say that I wasn't aware of the small-lock-icon-on-the-top-right-corner and it's relation to security thingie (despite it looks obvious :) ).

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:37 pm

I agree that it should warn you if secure fails
No answer to your question? How to write posts

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:07 am

Security could be really painful. Is there any official statement to the Winbox attack described here below?
http://www.133tsec.com/2012/04/27/0day- ... n-exploit/

It seems that Winbox is loading and running dlls pushed from "server" side without prior authentication so whoever can inject to client computer whatever code and let it run by Winbox...

Anyway, another question, is there a possibility not to connect to the router by Winbox when attempt for secure connection fails? I have not noticed that.

pcunite
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:39 pm

It seems that Winbox is loading and running dlls pushed from "server" side without prior authentication so whoever can inject to client computer whatever code and let it run by Winbox...
Yes, and this is a big security problem on our locked down boxes. We do not allow executables (.dlls too) to run from directories a user can write too. Classic no no. We have to let it fail and then add hashed access to the .dlls via Software Restriction policies.

Mikrotik,
Allow for us to copy the .dlls to the same directory that we have installed Winbox.exe to. Then have Winbox check current directory first before trying to load from ~Application Data\Mikrotik\Winbox.

sam1275
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:04 pm

I just tried winbox on a rb2011 without security package installed, Winbox connects and shows the lock icon, what's happening?
This is a 8.5 years thread, Mikrotik, please do something to protect your customers, thanks.

total13

Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:03 pm

Is it possible to "disable" clear text mode on MT itself so when connecting over winbox, it is always in secure mode?

alex1
just joined

Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:43 am

Folks,

Am I right that Winbox (and The Dude server) do NOT sent the password in clear text even if they use plain mode? I tried to Wireshark the traffic and was able to recognize username only. Just want to make sure they send the password in hash or some other secure way even if they use plain mode connection. Please confirm.

Is it possible to "disable" clear text mode on MT itself so when connecting over winbox, it is always in secure mode?

+1 to that request/question.

Thanks.

saenito
just joined

Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:40 pm

Folks,

Am I right that Winbox (and The Dude server) do NOT sent the password in clear text even if they use plain mode? I tried to Wireshark the traffic and was able to recognize username only. Just want to make sure they send the password in hash or some other secure way even if they use plain mode connection. Please confirm.

It happened the same to me with webfig server, couldn't find the password, maybe hashed as alex1 said?

+1 to that request/question.

Thanks.