Community discussions

MikroTik App

grescho
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Prioritize SIP Packets with PCQ enabled

Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:00 pm

I was hoping to prioritize sip packets using packet mark/connection mark.
But as I already use PCQ load balancing feature these tags are used currently by the load balancer. Whenever I try to mark these packets It overwrites the PCQ mark and the packet doesn't get routed.
Is there anyway I can prioritize my SIP packets but keep the PCQ intact?

Thanks very much for your help

Dom

netrat

Re: Prioritize SIP Packets with PCQ enabled

Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:34 pm

Grescho I'm not following you exactly. If you want to prioritize your SIP packets then you'll need to apply a different packet mark and add a new queue for those packets. What do you mean when you say the packet doesn't get routed? Are you using a different routing table?

Post up your firewall mangle and queue tree configuration so we can better help you.

grescho
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:39 am

Grescho I'm not following you exactly. If you want to prioritize your SIP packets then you'll need to apply a different packet mark and add a new queue for those packets. What do you mean when you say the packet doesn't get routed? Are you using a different routing table?

Post up your firewall mangle and queue tree configuration so we can better help you.
If i do a packet mark, it overwrites the current packet-mark which is used for the PCQ??
I'll post my mangle and queue tree in a min

rmichael
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:54 am

Use DSCP.

rpress
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:12 pm

You mean packet mark for PCC (Per Connection Classifier) load balance, and not PCQ (Per Connection Queue) for bandwidth sharing, right?

For PCC you only need mark-connection and mark-routing, so this leaves mark-packet for HTB queue. For HTB queue using mark-connection and mark-packet is better, uses less CPU, but it will work with just mark-packet.

If you still need mark-packet for something else, or you want to use mark-connection, all I can think of is implementing a metarouter / KVM with HTB queue.

grescho
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:34 am

Yeah sorry. I did mean PCC.
What you are saying about packet mark seems like a good idea. I'll look into that and report on my findings.

What is DSCP?