MikroTik App

charliebrown
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Problem with MPLS/VPLS and Failover

Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:27 am

Hey guys,

I'm starting to explore MPLS/VPLS to help with a number of network issues we are facing and I've started with a simple 3 router Lab to play around with.

I've got MPLS/OSPF/BGP-VPLS setup but I'm having issues with the VPLS circuit routing around a failed link

This is a mockup of the lab i'm running, When the link from MPLS 1 to MPLS 3 is running the Windows XP box can get DHCP from the network via the VPLS 1 circuit which is bridged but when i kill that ethernet link it dies. I was hoping that the MPLS system would switch to routing the packets thru MPLS2 router.

When I kill the MPLS 1-3 link i can still ping/login to MPLS 3 router from the network and see it routes via MPLS 2.

Any ideas what I'm screwing up?

charliebrown
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Problem with MPLS/VPLS and Failover

Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:43 am

Actually scratch that, ldp wasnt enabled on on MPLS 2 :lol:

charliebrown
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Problem with MPLS/VPLS and Failover

Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:16 pm

Might as well use this thread rather than start another one since this could be a stupid question but:

With MPLS TE and using the above exampled changed to have 2 customers on the Net and Windows XP machine is it possible with MPLS TE to send the VPLS traffic via MPLS 2 router if the MPLS-1 to 3 link is fully used and have it switch back to using MPLS-1 to 3 once traffic has subsided?