Community discussions

MikroTik App

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

RB800 heat problem advisory

Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:51 am

MikroTik has found that a small number of RB800 devices that we have sold (less than 10%) have a problem where the device can stop working at ambient temperatures over 60C.
If you have not seen any heat related problems that you can repeat, you do not have one of the affected devices.

Customers are asked to return their problematic device to the seller (distributor) for an immediate exchange. . Distributors will receive new devices after they submit a list to MikroTik.

However, if the exchange is not possible, or you need the device sooner, you can fix it yourself by soldering. You will need a trained soldering expert with lots of experience and professional equipment. If you will follow the guide exactly, your warranty will not be void. Again, only TRAINED EXPERTS should follow this guide if they choose to. Normally, you need to contact your distributor for a replacement.

The attached PDF document explains two possible solutions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

odie
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: RB800 heat problem advisory

Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:53 am

and how to find out if i have one of the problematic boards on stock ??

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:10 pm

Currently only the behavior in high temperature is an indicator.

odie
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:28 pm

so i have to put all my boards into the oven to test ??
this cant be a soluiton ....

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:45 pm

Sorry but there is absolutely no way to identify the possibly troublesome devices. As I said, the number is quite small, so you shouldn't worry about them unless client reports issues. Even if the client has received an affected device, it still takes extraordinary conditions (65C+) to see the issue.

mars
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:39 pm

we have the problem with 2 rb800 if the ambiant temp in the box is 30 deg c

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:40 pm

are you sure it's even temperature related? maybe it's another issue altogether.

mars
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:02 pm

are you sure it's even temperature related? maybe it's another issue altogether.
yes i am sure as long as we stay below 30 deg c we have no problems

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:03 pm

In that case, either return to seller for replacement, or repair yourself via the PDF guide

THG

Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:25 pm

I live in a very cold place on earth, even here the outside temperature is 30°C. I don't believe that the outside temperature is higher in my country than yours. Not a chance that the temperature inside your box is only 30°C without active cooling.

mars
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:15 pm

I live in a very cold place on earth, even here the outside temperature is 30°C. I don't believe that the outside temperature is higher in my country than yours. Not a chance that the temperature inside your box is only 30°C without active cooling.

we have active cooling and electronic monitoring inside and outside the box so when i tell you what the temp is i know what i am talking about
we are talking here about the same cards that worked on the rb600 with no problem and when fitted to the rb800 there is a problem
now mikrotik has admitted their is a hardware problem at 65 deg c but i believe the problem happens at about 22 - 30 deg c
i have spoken to other people in my country and they all have the same problem we have with the rb800

THG

Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:26 pm

I don't say that you are lying, but it sounded strange that the temperature inside your box was only 30°C. I know it's very hot in your contry, so you probably have some kind of enclosure air conditioner to keep the temperature down.

Borage
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:48 pm

I'm in Spain, and it's 70 Celsius in my car right now. :)

macgaiver
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:50 am

Sorry, but as far as i can see you can find out who is right and who is wrong by simple removing 1 resistor (if extensions boards will not be used).
If problem remains then you can always put it back.

temperature in the box, temperature on CPU, temperature on Wireless cards, are different values, only exception is when box have ideal airflow within the box (and it is not the same as ventilation). So 30C in box doesn't mean that there are no parts with 60C etc.

So i suggest go for resistor fix.

rmichael
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:29 pm

What I find interesting is that
1) only 10% of the boards are affected but the defect is not related to particular batch

2) it is not possible to distinguish between new, revised, and old broken boards.

Have anyone analysed what the fix does?

raingalls

Sat Jul 10, 2010 1:06 am

This may be an issue we are experiencing. However, the only place we've been able to find a temp is under System > Resource > Heath > CPU Temp in Winbox. Is there a place to view or monitor the System Temp or something or is everyone just monitoring the temp inside the box by third party means?

And @normis is their a newsletter we can subscribe to to get advisories like this and/or RouterOS version updates, etc.?

daveCZ
just joined

Sat Jul 10, 2010 3:07 pm

I asked our distributor, and if i make modification RB800 from the published information, my guarantee over :(

raingalls

Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:52 pm

I asked our distributor, and if i make modification RB800 from the published information, my guarantee over :(
You distributor should be willing to replace your affected device. If not, chances are you guarantee timeframe is over anyway.

However, you do have a very good, very valid point.

What happens if the vendor says they will not replace it, and any warranty on the device is discontinued if this modification is made per MikroTik, who is responsible for replacing the board in the event the repair goes wrong or normal malfunction later down the road? Had MikroTik not had a defect in the product, neither of these two situations would arise.

raingalls

Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:27 pm

@normis is their a newsletter / e-mail we can subscribe to for advisories and/or RouterOS version updates, etc.?

mars
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:50 pm

the proper way to do this is all rb800 must be replaced by mikrotik with new garantee

daveCZ
just joined

Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:18 pm

Exchange RB800 at the distributor is not a problem. The problem is that the new RB800 is not in stock and will be until the second half of September!

Every summer I have enjoyed the warmth and sunshine, this year thanks to the RB800 is looking forward to the cold and rain :(

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:54 am

@normis is their a newsletter / e-mail we can subscribe to for advisories and/or RouterOS version updates, etc.?
notification subscribtion here on the right side: http://www.mikrotik.com/download.html
daveCZ wrote:
You distributor should be willing to replace your affected device. If not, chances are you guarantee timeframe is over anyway.

However, you do have a very good, very valid point.
MikroTik warranty is not affected if you do your repairs exactly as per instructions, and the problem is not caused by incorrect repairs.
the only place we've been able to find a temp is under System > Resource > Heath > CPU Temp
there have been issues with temperature display in RouterOs, so don't rely on this number to decide whether you have a problem or not.

linas
just joined

Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:53 pm

Hi Normis.

I have same problems with RB800, one of my rb800's is hanging, it uses daughterboard ant 6 different wireles cards, in the first mounths of this year I thought its problem in one of the cards ( the heat ore something like this), but after some aditional cooling the problem gone, until the firsts mounths of summer. It was hanging one time the week, maybe two. Now its hanging 4 times a day. I know, this shows the temperature problem, but why after upgrade to routeros version 5rc3 or rc4 this problem changed to another, now, the board doesn't hangs, but several times a day stops responding for some 5- 10 seconds and works again, if I login logs does not show me anything, routerboard uptime few days so it is not rebooted...
Another interesting thing, in another tower there is 2 rb800 and some another, these 2 rb800 are conected directly each to other and after upgrade first board to 5rc3 version, another rb800 stopped responding, if i turn off first rb800 second starts working, upgraded second it works, but connection between them didnt worked, so connected them by the switch and used another Lan ports. Tomorow I will try to use another lan port, on the rb800 witch hangs, I think the problem is with LAN ports . I have returned back for repear 2 RB800 boards, witch doesnt responds and with dead POE LAN ports.

eteshiba
just joined

Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:39 am

Hi all,

I have same situation here, we have 4 rb800, 2 rb800 (backhaul link) with two r52hn they appear to work ok, only thing it’s that speed on backhaul link drops from 150mbps to 16mbps (some days even lower), and the other two rb800, with daughterboard (rb604) each and 4 r52hn each, they work ok after we reboot them on the evening, speed test not bad 32 to 48 mbps (avg) on subscriber side, but when we run these same test on daylight, speed drops to 3 to 4mbps and hours later or two rb800 disappears, never expect temperature was the issue here (I can tell now). We are in an environment with 48 to 50 °C at shadow…

Any advices?, do you think that improving cooling system might solve this problem (we have one extra fan per cabinet)…

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Enrique Teshiba

Joddi
just joined

Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:35 pm

Was anybody successfull doing RB800 heatfix according to Mikrotik team instructions?

We did heatfix with adding 22R (we need extension card to work), but it won't help.
Actually it seem to be a little bit worse - before fix, RB800 freeze ussually at 14-15hrs during hot day, after the fix board freezes at 11am (outside temperature was similar to other days).

So we finally remove all RB800 from towers and replace them by RB600A which runs with no problem during these hot days. Unfortunatelly RB600 are no longer available at suppliers and RB800 with (hopefully) improved heat resistance are not available too.

Normis, please can you tell us, how can we recognize RB800 from new - improved production batch?
We definitelly won't like to buy the same - heat failing boards again.

--
Joddi

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:39 pm

show us picture of your soldering job, and the part number of the resistor you placed

bigguns
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:10 am

Can I ask - I'm trying to return my unit to my reseller which is based in lativa - but they are telling me to pay for postage both ways on the unit. I feel this is really unjust considering its a manufacturing fault with the unit. Surely this cant be right, as I've never had to pay for postage each way before on any return.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:52 am

Can I ask - I'm trying to return my unit to my reseller which is based in lativa - but they are telling me to pay for postage both ways on the unit. I feel this is really unjust considering its a manufacturing fault with the unit. Surely this cant be right, as I've never had to pay for postage each way before on any return.
please contact sales@mikrotik.com with this question

raingalls

Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:41 am

Normis, please can you tell us, how can we recognize RB800 from new - improved production batch?
Joddi
Normis, Joddi has a good point. Did MikroTik put any kind of unique identifier on the new boards with the fix or is there some way to tell newer production boards from older one that could potentially experience this problem. A lot of us can't afford to put up bad equipment, but unfortunately don't the the option to fully test in a controlled environment before deploying. It's a bad practice, but our owner is very aggressive and we just don't have that luxary. Any indicators on the product or packaging that lets us know it a BOARD manufactured after this incident.

eteshiba
just joined

Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:10 am

Hi All,

After a couple days of testing, adding three additional fans (2 exhausting fans, 1 injecting fan), I found out that the mixture between rb800 + r52hn are not such a good idea after all, because of heat those devices create in combination of Hermosillo’s high environmental temperature (from 40°C to 50°C, that’s 104°F to 122°F), internal microprocessor temperature rise up to 95°C before it blocks…

Please don’t take this the wrong way, rb800 it’s a beautiful piece of technology, it has great performance, but I don’t know if it was design to indoor use or not to extreme environments, I miss the rb600, can anyone tell if rb800 would be as resistance as rb400’s family?, or if rb600 will be back in production? because rb400’s and rb600’s are currently working in this kind of environment, by the way, how come the r52hn it gets so hot anyway?

Come on Mikrotik guys, I know you can do it, you have done so great so far, don’t let this rb800 issue disturb your magnificent result as up today… (he he he some words to cheer you up, because actually we are depending on you…)

Have a nice weekend everyone…

Enrique.

raingalls

Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:42 am

(he he he some words to cheer you up, because actually we are depending on you…)
Diddo. We're serving the rural community that would never dream of seeing anything over 1 Mbps if is wasn't for our WISP and we're pushing 3 Mbps down and 1 Mbps up to them as our lowest package. Middle package is 6 Mbps down and 2 Mbps up and our highest package is 10 Mbps down and 3 Mbps up. Unheard of in this area, and it will be unheard of again, if we don't get quality equipment from you guys. Keep up the good work guys. We're counting on you. We appreciate all you do for us.

bigguns
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:50 am

please contact sales@mikrotik.com with this question
Hi there I've sent an email when you made this post but I still haven't had a response - can you give me an update please.

aaa

Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:00 am

You can easy recognize old batch and new batch by U15 chip label. If you see CKV05 else TI logo on it - this is old batch and need soldering fix. If you see other U15 label - problem is fixed by repace chip and you not need fix anything.

Joddi
Normis, Joddi has a good point. Did MikroTik put any kind of unique identifier on the new boards with the fix or is there some way to tell newer production boards from older one that could potentially experience this problem. A lot of us can't afford to put up bad equipment, but unfortunately don't the the option to fully test in a controlled environment before deploying. It's a bad practice, but our owner is very aggressive and we just don't have that luxary. Any indicators on the product or packaging that lets us know it a BOARD manufactured after this incident.

mars
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:04 pm

You can easy recognize old batch and new batch by U15 chip label. If you see CKV05 else TI logo on it - this is old batch and need soldering fix. If you see other U15 label - problem is fixed by repace chip and you not need fix anything.

hi where on the rb will you find this label

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:08 pm

I think it's clearly explained, isn't it? On U15 chip

raingalls

Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:23 pm

hi where on the rb will you find this label
First, just to clarify, the only boards having an issue with heat are the RB800's.

Secondly, if you need help finding the U15 chip on a RouterBOARD 800, download the PDF attached to the first post of this thread and use the pictures within to help you find chip U15.

pupik
just joined

Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:41 am

I used a corrected board
Correction made about Mikrotik? (It was originally packed)
RB604 + 6xR52
Involved in a larger metal box on the table.
Quality source of 56V
Ambient temperature of 20-25 ° C
No load
=> Board stopped responding (LAN and WLAN) for approx. 40 hours

RB800 boards makes me considerable mental health problems ..
Provide functional boards or RB600 us back!

---
OS 4.10
/system routerboard print
routerboard: yes
model: "800"
serial-number: "244C01AFA1EF"
current-firmware: "2.27"
upgrade-firmware: "2.27"

aaa

Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:15 pm

First test only with four onboard wireless and then add additional daughterboard with other wireless.

adrianatkins
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Aug 28, 2010 4:14 am

tum tee tiddly dee
Last edited by adrianatkins on Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:30 am

it is possible to put something else in the wrong place. happens all the time

adrianatkins
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:27 pm

can anyone remind me what this post was ?
Last edited by adrianatkins on Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:48 am

put something else in the wrong place. happens all the time
... talking about things in the wrong places ....
Why did you remove Ubitik ?
Much better to talk. *Much* better.
Should i sell it to Robert instead ?
This forum is for discussing mikrotik products. No exceptions.

adrianatkins
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:22 pm

What if UbiTik was a Mikrotik product ?
Leverage what you already got in new ways.

New/More Market Share. More forurm posts. More Normis avatars (happy smiley ones).

pupik
just joined

Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:46 pm

Please, is there anything new about the stability of RB800 under normal conditions (20-30 ° C)?
Published Mikrotik new revision that is truly stable, like other RB600 and other older boards?
I used a corrected board
Correction made about Mikrotik? (It was originally packed)
RB604 + 6xR52
Involved in a larger metal box on the table.
Quality source of 56V
Ambient temperature of 20-25 ° C
No load
=> Board stopped responding (LAN and WLAN) for approx. 40 hours

RB800 boards makes me considerable mental health problems ..
Provide functional boards or RB600 us back!

---
OS 4.10
/system routerboard print
routerboard: yes
model: "800"
serial-number: "244C01AFA1EF"
current-firmware: "2.27"
upgrade-firmware: "2.27"

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:27 pm

I have this rb800 from my shelf (purchased half a year ago) with said chip CKV05 on it.
I put two R52HN radio's on it working default power in 2,4Ghz ´n´mode with antenna's attached.
From wireless attached laptop run bandwith test over unit (8Mb) to remote rb1000 and at same time run bandwith test from rb800 to another rb1000 via ethernet cable with 3Mb limit.

CPU shows 100% all the time.
CPU temperature on 47-49 degrees while board on table (ambient temp approx. 20 degrees Celsius)
radio's stay relative cool (almost ambient temp) and no hot spots to feel on board.

I fry board with hotairblower so all board and radio really get hot and CPU reads 74 degrees (with fan running).
Board still not collapse. All data speeds stay the same. If switch off local to remote bandwith test CPU jumps back to 16-25%.

If stop airblower temp falls back in 5 mins to post test reading.
Board never collapsed

- According info in this this topic my chip CKV05 means board should have problem?
- I read post about R52Hn getting hot at full power. These two I use cool down very fast after heat test to almost ambient temp. (no fans on it, so no air flow. Just board on my table)

Can I now use this board in production enviroment or not? Is it ok or not?

samjan
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:20 am

Dear Normis, may be is too late, but can i ask about the RB800 heat issue. I have lot of RB800, and all works fine, but the first board which i buy in 2010 have this problem with heating. So i carefully read the forum, and setup the board on mountain hill repeater station, where the temp is near 10-16C. I used the big metal case 800x600x50 with ventilation. And all was normal as you describe in topics. 4 weeks ago when, the temp was down to -10 -20C. The board crash again. After rebooting it start to work some days, and stop again. Now they not start, only the first beep coming when power connected (temp inside 0C, outside -20 with heavy wind). So my question, are the resistor removing form board can help me? Or this new issue now with cold temp?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:21 am

The described problem only appears when you have more than +60C temperature. You have issues in cold weather, so the problem is different. Email support about it.

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:08 am

this is an old thread, but i just dug up 2 brand new rb800s and one has this problem. I removed the resistor and continue to have the problem. Did anyone else have this problem or am I the only one?

They are only 1 serial number apart. One has the problem the other doesn't. Is there a different resistor that needs to be cut for the other mini-pci slots to be populated or something?

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:18 pm

I figured it out. Mikrotik QA didn't catch the Laird thermal paste backing paper wasn't removed:

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:43 pm

Hello there! I come to know that RB800 is out of production and obsolete now because of its very poor working performance, long term failure in the field with bad and improper hardware design. Could anybody please let me know that is it still worth to buy RB800 today as per the network requirement if any? as there are sellers out there who are still providing RB800. Any support will be appreciated. Thanks.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
Topic Author

Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:10 pm

MikroTik also still sells it. It's quite powerful, you can see Test Results:
https://mikrotik.com/product/RB800#fndtn-testresults

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:45 pm

Hello Normis! thanks for your prompt response to my query. i really appropriate your support. Actually, RB800 fulfills my remote backhaul site requirement very much as per my requirement as compared to install many extra wireless ports separably on a single remote tower with solar power supply option only at that remote site. But i am afraid to buy, because of its users' negative review with this RB800 at Mikrotik forum, as small temperature change makes this RB hangs up and stop working and even in the post you have also mentioned that it has some hardware designing issue. Is it really true Normis? A genuine, real and legitimately authenticated guide would be highly appreciated. Thanks.

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:22 pm

Hello Normis! I am still waiting for your response. I am seeking to place a buying order for RB800, but worried about that after buying it if won't workout and created problems in the site that would be really very disappointing and disaster and big loss to me to go with buying this unit, even after knowing its users' reviews. I hope you understand my concern very well and suggest me a genuine, real and legitimately authenticated reply from you to go for to buy RB800 or not. Thanks and looking for the pleasure of hearing from you soon on this. Still waiting for your response......

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:12 am

Hello Normis! Is anybody still buying this RB800 or not these days? Is it still in the demand or just only left in the stock looking to sell-off at Mikrotik store?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:19 am

@paams, do you really think some Mikrotik employee will tell you not to buy some particular Mikrotik HW device? It is aged for starters ...

You have to ask yourself why you'd need RB800: is it number of mini-PCI slots? There are other boards with same (or bigger) number of mini-PCI slots. Is it routing performance? There are other boards with same (or better) routing performance. Both have lower price tags and are newer products.

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:58 pm

@paams, do you really think some Mikrotik employee will tell you not to buy some particular Mikrotik HW device? It is aged for starters ...

You have to ask yourself why you'd need RB800: is it number of mini-PCI slots? There are other boards with same (or bigger) number of mini-PCI slots. Is it routing performance? There are other boards with same (or better) routing performance. Both have lower price tags and are newer products.
Hello mkx! thanks for your reply to my post. i really appreciated. I think RB800 best fit for my project as i have searched a lot with Mikrotik newer products and till now found this suitable as per my project requirement in terms of single board power consumption, high level of routing performance and freedom of expansion of link connectivity at solar powered remote tower site for my project. I agreed that its obsolete, no longer in use and out of production from Mikrotik for quit long time.

Could you please let know which other boards have bigger number of mini-PCI slots than rb800 included with daughterboard? May know please other boards with the (or better) wireless routing performance. Any further suggestion will be welcomed. Thanks for considering my post.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:24 pm

Here's product page containing "board" products. RB435G has 5 mini PCI slots. RB450Gx4 has much better routing capacity, but no wireless. And the there's whole plethora of already-boxed devices with varying support for wireless and routing capacity. Yes, it might happen that no individual device will fulfill all of your requirements/wishes.

Depending on individual case requirements and limits you might end up using two or three devices, but those (as a whole) may come with lower pricetag, better versatility and lower power consumption than single RB800 ...

paams
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:24 pm

Here's product page containing "board" products. RB435G has 5 mini PCI slots. RB450Gx4 has much better routing capacity, but no wireless. And the there's whole plethora of already-boxed devices with varying support for wireless and routing capacity. Yes, it might happen that no individual device will fulfill all of your requirements/wishes.

Depending on individual case requirements and limits you might end up using two or three devices, but those (as a whole) may come with lower pricetag, better versatility and lower power consumption than single RB800 ...
Hello mkx! apologizes for delayed reply as was busy at remote site related with my project. Thank you very much for your "board" products suggestions. I really appreciated. I have reviewed these products at Mikrotik site and here where rb800 makes the difference from others to me. For my running project i do need seven PtP connections at a distance of 20+km links from base station to different directions at remote locations for surveillance remote monitoring services to my customer. So for these seven connections i do need fourteen different PtP high power devices. To install for these 20+km long range links connectivity with already-boxed PtP devices having integrated antennas wouldn't be come with lower price tags to me. Which costs me a lot more included with extra power supply unit setup for each device, which is out of budget. Where as i have already have unused high gain antennas with 30dBi gain and also some Mikrotik radio cards available with me which i would like to utilize in the field with investing at lowest pricing . And also even getting this rb800 at discounted price. Thats why i am preferring to use rb800 other than any new routerboard at this time. I hope you understand my concern. Any further suggestion would be welcomed by you on this. Thanks.

BeepDog
just joined

Sun May 26, 2019 2:36 am

MikroTik has found that a small number of RB800 devices that we have sold (less than 10%) have a problem where the device can stop working at ambient temperatures over 60C.
If you have not seen any heat related problems that you can repeat, you do not have one of the affected devices.

Customers are asked to return their problematic device to the seller (distributor) for an immediate exchange. . Distributors will receive new devices after they submit a list to MikroTik.

However, if the exchange is not possible, or you need the device sooner, you can fix it yourself by soldering. You will need a trained soldering expert with lots of experience and professional equipment. If you will follow the guide exactly, your warranty will not be void. Again, only TRAINED EXPERTS should follow this guide if they choose to. Normally, you need to contact your distributor for a replacement.

The attached PDF document explains two possible solutions.
I have just discovered that I have this problem. I bought my rb800 back in 2014. Is there any way to know if it was one of the ones affected? My board over by U15 looks like the pre-repaired version. And once my CPU gets above 62C it does wedge and die. Is it far too late for an RMA?

705u53
just joined

Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:09 pm

Was anybody successfull doing RB800 heatfix according to Mikrotik team instructions?

705u53
just joined

Thu Dec 02, 2021 4:25 pm

Last edited by 705u53 on Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.