Community discussions

MikroTik App

swestlake
just joined
Topic Author

'Parent' probes for notification

Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:34 pm

Hello,

I've recently starting using 'The Dude' and I'm liking it a lot. I'm trying to find out if a specific function is possible.

I have a number of Mikrotik routers being monitored in 'The Dude'. I monitor a number of things like Ping, OSPF Neighbors, number of routes, CPU usage etc..

My problem is that if ping fails (e.g. the router is down) I also get emails for all the other services. I am looking for a way to tie all those services to the 'Ping' probe so that, if ping fails, I don't get 10-15 alerts for the same device.

Any ideas?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: 'Parent' probes for notification

Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:36 pm

swestlake
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:37 pm

Thanks, I did see that.. I am looking for a way to set parent services though, not just devices.

E.g. if Device A has 3 services being polled.. 'ping', 'ospf neighbor' and 'routes'

If OSPF Neighbor and Routes are both RouterOS commands, if the device goes down I get three emails:

Ping is down
OSPF Neighbor timed out
Routes timed out

I want to set OSPF Neighbor and Routes to be children of 'Ping' so if the device is unpingable, it doesn't also email me saying that the other services timed out.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:57 am

Thanks, we will treat that as a feature request. Currently there is no way to do it.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Sep 02, 2010 10:57 am

Thanks, we will treat that as a feature request. Currently there is no way to do it.

swestlake
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:02 pm

Cool, sounds good - thanks for the quick reply.

I think perhaps a simple short-term fix would be to have a way of disabling notification of RouterOS command timeouts. Right now, if an SNMP query times out, it does not seem to email me, it only emails me if the probe I have written hits its failure state.

If I use RouterOS commands, it will alert me if the command times out, regardless of what I have set the failure state to be.

blackpaw

Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:36 pm

count me in.. really would like this feature.

every time a switch with many interfaces goes down the mailbox is flooded with notifications :)

Basically you could create another device with only ping, put it behind/next the one you monitor and create a small link. Then you can choose it from the "parent" devices.. however, another extra node to monitor... will check

blm
just joined

Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:31 am

fully Voted !

I was using OpManager up till now and I’ve started loving the Dude!!!
I actually would require this probe type to validate if a unit is up (e.g. by ping) and only then do some further checks (e.g. verify if a virus scanner is running and so on).

I also believe it would be very helpful if different checks could be linked by "and", "or" or "not" logic (nice to have only).

Can anybody give an indication by when this feature would be available?

Regards blm

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:00 pm

hard to say when, Dude is our free product, so we give higher priority to our commercial products (RouterOS v5 is nearing it's release) and Dude will be fixed after that. So, Q1 2011 I would guess.

gianmaxfactor
just joined

Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:04 am

Hi what about same-device probes notification? Has been there any improvement?