Community discussions

MikroTik App

ITG
just joined
Topic Author

Dude Agent, Again

Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:35 pm

I asked this before. What is Dude agent for? I have an RB500 setup with Dude installed. Works fine. I have a local Dude server with a device set to monitor Dude on the RB500. I get the Dude Tab in Device Settings and it displays Dude. It does this whether I have an agent assigned or not. What is the agent supposed to do for me? 4.0beta2 TIA.

jtroybailey
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Dude Agent, Again

Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:27 am

if you have TheDude install on the RB500 you can connect to it with the client, add all your devices and it will continue to monitor, even after you exit from the client.

ITG
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:51 pm

if you have TheDude install on the RB500 you can connect to it with the client, add all your devices and it will continue to monitor, even after you exit from the client.
Understood. My Dude knowledge is a little more advanced than that. You haven't answered the question. What does the Agent do for me that Dude by itself isn't already doing?
c'mon guys....

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Jan 27, 2011 11:36 am

If you simply connect with the windows Dude program to a RouterOS Dude installation remotely, that's fine.

But you could have a local server, with local devices on it, and then use the RouterOS Dude install as agent, to monitor devices that are not directly reachable from your local server.

| ------------ windows dude local server map -------- |  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | -------- Dude server on RouterOS map -------- | 

[device] [device] [remote device via agent]                                                [remote device]
So you can have one map in the local server, that contains all kinds of devices, that are only available via remote agents. You would not need to reconnect to remote servers, you would have them all in one map.

ITG
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:24 pm

Ok, I was able to get that. Program a device onto a map with the IP of the subnet it's located in and select the appropriate agent.
Problem; SNMP works when accessing Dude through the OS device (routerboard), it works when using the Dude tab of the Routerboard-device, but does not work with the device sitting all by itself on the network map.
Any hints?
thanks.

amity2kare

Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:04 pm

If you simply connect with the windows Dude program to a RouterOS Dude installation remotely, that's fine.

But you could have a local server, with local devices on it, and then use the RouterOS Dude install as agent, to monitor devices that are not directly reachable from your local server.

| ------------ windows dude local server map -------- |  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ | -------- Dude server on RouterOS map -------- | 

[device] [device] [remote device via agent]                                                [remote device]
So you can have one map in the local server, that contains all kinds of devices, that are only available via remote agents. You would not need to reconnect to remote servers, you would have them all in one map.
Normis,

Authentication fails while adding the agent in Dude. Which credentials (User/Pass) is it expecting? I've tried to enter the credentials of the admin user on the routerboard but it still fails.

Amit

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:19 am

no those are not RouterOS users, but the "Dude" users. They are different. Connect to the IP with the Dude client, and configure users. only after that you can use the device as agent.

geoffsmith31
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:11 am

Here is my understanding/experience of Dude agents for what it is worth:

First you set up the main Dude server, lets say in the head office part of your enterprise network. You create maps of all the things in that part of the network that you want to monitor and in the "General" tab for each device you set the agent to default. This means that each device is being probed by the main Dude server.

Then you have a branch office somewhere behind a firewall and you want to monitor the network at that site. You install a Dude server on the network at that site and then on the main Dude server in the global settings "Agents" tab you add the branch office Dude server as an agent.

Then you need to configure your firewall rules so that the main Dude server can communicate with the Dude agent at the branch office.

On the main Dude server you make a map for the branch office and for each device on that map in the "General" tab you specify the agent as the dude server at the branch office.

Something I am not sure of and perhaps Normis or one of his Mikrotik colleagues can clarify this: Does all of the SNMP processing for the branch office site still originate at the main Dude server, proxying through the agent, and travel back and forth over the WAN link. Or does the agent do the SNMP processing for the branch site and just pass status updates to the main Dude server over the WAN link?

We have set up our monitoring in this way, with one main Dude server that all of our Dude clients connect to and 9 different agents all monitoring different network segments.

HiltonT
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:22 pm

G'day GeoffSmith,

I'd really like to see the answer to your question on SNMP.

It seems that, without a VPN connection to the remote networks, I cannot get The Dude to communicate through the Agents - the Dude Agents appear with a blue tick (most of the time) on my main Dude server here at my office, but I cannot see anything on any of my clients' networks unless I establish a VPN to them. Then, with a VPN established, there's no real reason to even configure an Agent as my main Dude server communicates directly with all the device and can also see the snmp status (as long as the client snmp agents have all been configured to allow the firewall IP as well as the local Dude server IP). (Obviously, not just anyone can get to snmp on the gateway router - that would be insane!).

I just don't think the Agent in The Dude is working as I expect (ie, as an Agent through which information is tunneled).

mauricioisp
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:51 am

Any update about this topic? I'm testing the latest the dude version and using Routerboard as The Dude agent is still missing SNMP support. Mikrotik team please add it.

Thanks,

Onix
just joined

Thu Jun 09, 2022 8:14 am

Hello!
Can somone from MK can answere to geoffsmith31 questions?? It will clarify lot of things!
Maybe somone else?
Also to me seems there is no options without VPN to reach complete monitoring to "branch" office.
Thanks.

geoffsmith31
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:43 am

I never did get an answer to the question about the SNMP traffic with Dude agents. It seems that Mikrotik are not planning to provide this info (either they don't know, or they don't care about Dude user base). I am now retired and no longer in a position to do the following testing, but I think it would give the answer to the SNMP traffic question. Just do a packet capture on the link between the main Dude server and the Dude agent, then look at what is going on.

I'd guess that the main Dude server is still probing all the devices on the agent's network and the SNMP traffic will probably be encapsulated in the Dude<>Agent traffic. I recall that you could select either secure or insecure communication between Dude and Agent. If you are using insecure, you'll probably be able to look at what is in the encapsulated packets, if you are using a secure connection then it is probably encrypted, so you will not get a definitive answer.

It is unlikely, but possible, that the Agent may pull down a group of devices to be probed from the main Dude server periodically, then The Agent just does its own probing and sends status updates back to the main Dude. If the Dude<>Agent connection is insecure, you are likely to be able to see enough information in the traffic between Dude and Agent to figure out how it all works.

In my old job, as I stated previously, we had a main Dude server and multiple Agents in different network segments. We discovered that the Agent can also be set up as a main Dude server with its own maps, probes,etc and be connected to by users - all while still being an Agent of the other Dude server. One of our Agents was in the Engineering/SCADA network segment to monitor our switches, microwave links and router We set it up as a main Dude server that was used by the Engineering staff to monitor their own specific equipment and servers.