Community discussions

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

New Ethernet port flap issue enquiery, PLS JOIN!

Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:49 am

My 200+ routerboards v5.6 running network has still several units that show the Ethernet port flap on more or less regular basis.
It seems MT cannot really get a grip on this issue. They can't reproduce it.

I have some ideas in where the issue might be found; ESD, or poor below standard cable connections.

The issue in my case is randomly spread over my network, but always between routerboards and 3rd party devices (laptops, PC's, Wifi routers, switches) and the log shows clearly the port flaps mainly occur during daytime.
I live in a dry climate with moderate high summer temps and a very strong day/night effect when it comes to the prevailing winds in the summer.
It looks like most of the flaps start when the winds starts to blow some hours after the sun started to climb the sky. Most flaps die soon after the winds died as well.....

99% of my CPE antenna's are not earthed since that is almost impossible to do and in the pre 5.x era never had issue with that neither.
I use in general standard non-shielded utp cable with non-shielded plugs on both ends.
I use a whole range of powershots.

Basically I should investigate and make an inventory of the network on which units have the issue and which not and combine/compare that with their physical connections to clients device, and what device they have.
This is going to be a time consuming task, the only resource I am always short of! So I am asking my fellow users with the same issue to report whatever they can on this topic with as much info as possible to help find the issue.

MT will definitely read this topic and get their findings from it, as well as we could.

So, PLEASE report your Ethernet port flap! But make it as complete as possible. Users that might have a laptop or PC directly connected to a rb will also give a Ethernet port flap if that PC/Laptop goes in hibernation. This might happen regularly and in a quick overview in the log it might show like you have a port flap issue while in fact you have not....

Some reported that they had a unit with this issue which in fact also was reported by the ´other end´ of the cable's unit. But we need to be sure what the reason is for this. There can be several reasons that make Ethernet links drop.
I have some 30% of my units with Ethernet port flaps happening within the same or max. 2-3 secs that I cannot place as being the result of client behaviour or other actions or failures. Since clients are not complaining, nor did they say to notice anything when asked I have the believe the ´port-flaps´ are merely report errors of the OS.

My ´feeling´ is that small ESD discharges might trigger the ros reporting system to produce a port disable, while in reality I the link is really broken...
If this would be the case then there are 2 solutions:
1. MT fixed the sensitivity of the ros reporting Ethernet issues.
2. I just disable the reporting of Ethernet status message in my logs. (And miss any real problems.)

Please help on this issue. I'll bet the ones having this issue get as much irritated by the filling of the logs as I am!
Show your appreciation of this post by giving me Karma! Thanks.

Rudy R. Puister

WISP operator based on MT routerboard & ROS.

Ivoshiee

Re: New Ethernet port flap issue enquiery, PLS JOIN!

Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:48 am

I have that port flapping issue on my RB750G. I used ether1 for outside connection (Cisco cable modem) and there that port flapping really does drop connection and is not just a pure cosmetics. In some occasions I had over 1 hour of no Internet access. That may be some other issue as well, but even during that time there were numerous port flapping incidents.
Couple days ago I moved the cable modem to ether3 and I haven't seen any port flapping on that port. Client PC/laptop is now in ether1 and I still see port flapping there.
Note: In case of the cable modem in ether1 the line speed did come up as 1000M all the time, but now ether1 is reporting occasionally 10M and then 1000M.

All my boxes are running ROS v5.5.

Edit: Cables are standard 1,8m variants, there should be no issues with these.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:28 pm

I have that port flapping issue on my RB750G. I used ether1 for outside connection (Cisco cable modem) and there that port flapping really does drop connection and is not just a pure cosmetics. In some occasions I had over 1 hour of no Internet access. That may be some other issue as well, but even during that time there were numerous port flapping incidents.
Couple days ago I moved the cable modem to ether3 and I haven't seen any port flapping on that port. Client PC/laptop is now in ether1 and I still see port flapping there.
Note: In case of the cable modem in ether1 the line speed did come up as 1000M all the time, but now ether1 is reporting occasionally 10M and then 1000M.

All my boxes are running ROS v5.5.

Edit: Cables are standard 1,8m variants, there should be no issues with these.
Thanks Ivoshiee. This is the kind of report we are looking for.
By reading your post I realize that there were problems in the past with the Ethernet1/PoE port. Our port flap issue is also usually the Ether1/PoE port and we have seen other problems with these in the past. After release of v.4.x there was the issue that this port suddenly ´died´ for receive traffic, or died completely on running units for no reason. After a reboot it usually came back. (But I also had some 411's where the port died after the first initial upload of a working system by means of a script. Some of these PoE ports became unrepairable by way of software upgrade/re-installs.) This was all about a year ago.

In my central unit (with a bunch of rb's interconnected to each other, including 2 rb1000's) the issue came up every so many days and was repaired by interconnecting all routerboards and housings to daisy chain earth connection. Problems disappeared since. The problem here was obviously either ESD or current ´leakage´ over the boards and the Ethernet connector.

Anyway, you also report that the port flap really means a disconnect of the physical line.
On the other hand, your disconnect last a very long time. Where all my port flaps usually happen within the same second or the port comes back within 2-3 secs at worst.
(All according my log. Imho it makes me even more think it is merely a reporting issue than a ´real´ issue. See my first porst.)

Rudy R. Puister

Davis
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:27 pm

Thanks Ivoshiee. This is the kind of report we are looking for.
By reading your post I realize that there were problems in the past with the Ethernet1/PoE port. Our port flap issue is also usually the Ether1/PoE port and we have seen other problems with these in the past. After release of v.4.x there was the issue that this port suddenly ´died´ for receive traffic, or died completely on running units for no reason. After a reboot it usually came back. (But I also had some 411's where the port died after the first initial upload of a working system by means of a script. Some of these PoE ports became unrepairable by way of software upgrade/re-installs.) This was all about a year ago.

In my central unit (with a bunch of rb's interconnected to each other, including 2 rb1000's) the issue came up every so many days and was repaired by interconnecting all routerboards and housings to daisy chain earth connection. Problems disappeared since. The problem here was obviously either ESD or current ´leakage´ over the boards and the Ethernet connector.

Anyway, you also report that the port flap really means a disconnect of the physical line.
On the other hand, your disconnect last a very long time. Where all my port flaps usually happen within the same second or the port comes back within 2-3 secs at worst.
(All according my log. Imho it makes me even more think it is merely a reporting issue than a ´real´ issue. See my first porst.)
May be you can setup some monitoring software (e.g. The Dude) to monitor these flapping links by ping each second or even more often to see whether link flapping is only a reporting issue or a real flapping.

Ivoshiee

Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:22 am

May be you can setup some monitoring software (e.g. The Dude) to monitor these flapping links by ping each second or even more often to see whether link flapping is only a reporting issue or a real flapping.
I have had Netwatch scripts set to monitor cable modem and network gateway. As soon as the ether1 was reported as down then came the message as modem host being down as well. So, that is a real problem for me and not just reporting issue.

Ivoshiee

Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:27 am

That long loss of connection is just a few such ones I experienced. Usually these connectionless gaps are between 10...15 seconds. I haven't checked if these all are reporting as interface being down, but I strongly suspect that.
Edit:
Snippet from the log:
11:43:45 interface,info ether1 link down
11:43:55 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 1000M, full duplex)
11:46:19 interface,info ether1 link down
11:46:21 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 10M, full duplex)
11:46:27 interface,info ether1 link down
11:46:31 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 1000M, full duplex)
11:47:23 interface,info ether1 link down
11:47:24 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 10M, full duplex)
11:47:25 interface,info ether1 link down
11:47:28 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 1000M, full duplex)
11:47:49 interface,info ether1 link down
11:47:52 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 1000M, full duplex)
19:14:46 interface,info ether1 link down
19:14:47 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 10M, full duplex) 
Last edited by Ivoshiee on Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:19 pm

I called my worse effected client this morning, he has 30 to 40 Ethernet port flaps a day (during daytime, when his PC is 'on').
I asked him if he sensed any problems with disconnects but he can't really remember some...
He uses Skype regularly but never had conversations broken in the middle.

I took a close look in the log and see the ether1 link going up and down but than every time actually the connected speed changes from 10M to 100M and vice versa.
My CPE (generating these ether1 link messages) is directly by cable connected to his PC.
His PC goes into standby and later in hibernation which than would switch the Ethernet interface of the PC off...
I can't ping his PC though to see if the link really drops. Probably it is being blocked by windows firewall? (Anybody has a say about this. Is this ' default' behaviour of Windows Firewall?)

The strange thing is though that almost all his port flap log shows the link as down and again up within max. 2 secs. When it than is up it sometimes stays up several minutes up to half an hour to go down again and back up in the same 2 secs but with another speed.

Rudy R. Puister

Ivoshiee

Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:25 pm

I am supposed to have permanent IP from my ISP, but I can not set it static and router must ask it over DHCP. My reported long Internet loss is likely due to usage of DHCP on that interface. The port flipping happened on bad time thus the cable modem lost its MAC-IP-address registration, but Mikrotik didn't release that IP-address and Internet resumed working only after DHCP renew when DHCP client lease ran to 0 (lease expiration time is set to 2 hours).

ohara

Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:58 pm

Rudy,
based on your experience, does port flapping also occur while using passive PoE splitters to power the RB in an outdoor enclosure?

I have deployed two 5.6 RB433 recently. One on a rooftop with a 50 meters FTP cable sent down the building without fixing it to the elevation. We were planning to fix the cable the next day, but the router had been turned on anyway. The installation has undergone a stress test during the night while a severe storm passed over the area. The port was flapping for 15 minutes. Once the storm has gone the port flapping stopped. I am wondering if this was caused by the cable being smashed against the wall by the wind.

Another RB was installed on a balcony where the cable was put under a synthetic carpet. I was noticing port flaps during daytime and I came to the conclusion that the customer might have been causing the port flaps by simply walking on the balcony.

I feel that that port flaps are caused by the cable being exposed to external factors whereas the cable should always be in complete standstill. This may be layman's thinking, but still appreciate your feedback on that.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:48 am

Rudy,
based on your experience, does port flapping also occur while using passive PoE splitters to power the RB in an outdoor enclosure?
We use these only. But maybe an idea. I can test a unit one of these days with a power splitter/take-off in a hampered unit. This way the power will not come to the board via the utp cable but via the jack. Maybe that helps... we'll see.
I have deployed two 5.6 RB433 recently. One on a rooftop with a 50 meters FTP cable sent down the building without fixing it to the elevation. We were planning to fix the cable the next day, but the router had been turned on anyway. The installation has undergone a stress test during the night while a severe storm passed over the area. The port was flapping for 15 minutes. Once the storm has gone the port flapping stopped. I am wondering if this was caused by the cable being smashed against the wall by the wind.

Another RB was installed on a balcony where the cable was put under a synthetic carpet. I was noticing port flaps during daytime and I came to the conclusion that the customer might have been causing the port flaps by simply walking on the balcony.

I feel that that port flaps are caused by the cable being exposed to external factors whereas the cable should always be in complete standstill. This may be layman's thinking, but still appreciate your feedback on that.
All my cables are well attached to walls and roofs and masts/poles. But that is more out of tidiness and good conduct. I don't think physical movement of the utp cable would be an issue as long as the force is not driving the twisted wires apart or squeeze the copper core through the insulation against another cable. A synthetic carpet on the other hand could cause static electricity flows that can have effect on the date transport in the UTP cable. But if the flapping would have been caused by someone walking over it?? Well, everything is possible. But I think that change is relative small...

Rudy R. Puister

ohara

Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:11 am

Hi,

Apreciate if you could post test results. I have ordered some splitters yesterday but won't be able to conduct any tests within the next few days.

Skaught
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:55 am

We are seeing these issues and we are the NOC for 4 different MT based ISPs in different locations across North America.

The router drops it's link down to 10mbit randomly and also refuses to link at all if we hard code both ends to 100mbit full.

We have hundreds of rb's using ethernet only that show these issues. They are connected to a mix of other RB radios, ubnt radios, network management devices, Fibre transceivers and client devices. We see the issues all over the place in a roughly random pattern. The issue is random enough that if you only had a hundred MTs in use, you may not even notice it. We see it constantly as we have so many devices deployed.

The only variable that is the same throughout is MT. These networks have all been built by different people thousands of miles apart. We thought it was issues with bad cables so we TDR'd as many as we could, and they all certified with flying colours. These are armoured cables that are properly bonded and surge suppressed if they run outside.

Our crews are Journeymen Telecom Electricians with years of experience who build to and exceed code in all workmanship. This is not an installation or ESD problem. This is not a reporting problem, the other devices report the slow link, flapping and issues. Speeds also slow to a crawl when the link drops to 10mbit.

We have the latest firmware, opened a ticket, and have sent in .rif files. No solution in sight.

elgo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:38 pm

post deleted, not related.
Last edited by elgo on Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RB450G - OpenWrt (so much more stable than with routerOS)
-> now: UBNT EdgeRouter Lite

(very unlikely to be MT customer again in the future)

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:54 pm

@Rudy have you tried powering the boards using two core cable and plug in the dc direct to test?
or put a 12v battery next to unit for test
N21roadie,
Network 100% MT for Now?

ohara

Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:11 pm

just noticed that none of the port flapping messages appears in the remote kiwi syslog even though remote logging for 'interface' is set.

Makes kind of sense - if the connection is down then no data about it will be sent to the remote syslog. This makes troubleshooting much more difficult as one has to go into winbox logs for spotting port flaps.

Ivoshiee

Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:02 am

I've monitored my RB750G and that issue is more likely to affect ether1 (and ether2) ports - I see several port down/up and speed variation messages on those ports a day, but any port higher there is that not so frequent if any.

Note: No POE in use from ether1 is in use and ISP modem is still about 1,8 meters away on the same CAT5 cable.
Last edited by Ivoshiee on Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jfartak
just joined

Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:32 am

I can confirm too, that RB411 (v5.6) has the same issue. Even though nothing is writen to the MK's log when this occurs, but on the switch to which is this board connected (either via PoE or non PoE port), something like this in log appears (MK is in Port 8):

[474] 14:40:02 2011-06-27
"STA topology change notification."
level: 6, module: 5, function: 1, and event no: 1
---------------------------------------------------------------
[473] 14:40:00 2011-06-27
"STP port state: MSTID 0, Eth 1/8 becomes non-forwarding."
[472] 14:39:58 2011-06-27
"STP port state: MSTID 0, Eth 1/8 becomes forwarding."
[471] 14:39:55 2011-06-27
"Unit 1, Port 8 link-up 100M FD notification."
[470] 14:39:54 2011-06-27
"STP port state: MSTID 0, Eth 1/8 becomes non-forwarding."
[469] 14:39:54 2011-06-27
"Unit 1, Port 8 link-down notification."
[468] 14:39:29 2011-06-27
"STP port state: MSTID 0, Eth 1/8 becomes forwarding."
[467] 14:39:27 2011-06-27
"Unit 1, Port 8 link-up 100M FD notification."
[466] 14:39:22 2011-06-27
"Unit 1, Port 8 link-down notification."

This is weird, because if you're using any network protocols (RSTP/OSPF...) this can lead to generating "unreasoned" events in the network. Furthermore, in such scenario, the IP watdog (if configured) can trigger reboot (when link goes up and RSTP makes port reachable and forwardable).

What is even worse, this happen too on our several RB433/AH running 5.6. This is another switch log example (MK's switch port 18):

[324] 08:04:24 2011-08-30
"Unit 1, Port 18 link-up notification."
level: 6, module: 5, function: 1, and event no.: 1

[323] 08:04:18 2011-08-30
"Unit 1, Port 18 link-down notification."

[322] 08:04:06 2011-08-30

[321] 08:03:41 2011-08-30
"Unit 1, Port 18 link-down notification."

[320] 08:03:32 2011-08-30

Nothing found in the MK log, but the switch (other switch model, other site) logged it. As you can see, some "outages" are quite long, so we suspect (when such flap occurs), that it is causing random reboots, when IP watchdog si configured.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:24 pm

jfartak; maybe a strange question; you do have the logging topic "interface" enabled in the routerboards?
If not the log won't show Ethernet interface status in ROS.

Rudy R. Puister

jfartak
just joined

Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:24 pm

jfartak; maybe a strange question; you do have the logging topic "interface" enabled in the routerboards?
If not the log won't show Ethernet interface status in ROS.
You're right - topic "interface" was not included, so it makes a sense, that nothing was visible in the log. So I set up logging on some most problematic boards and I will check them. However, the fact, that topic was not included makes the problem revealing more harder, because only switches logs showed up what happened.

I would give you Karma - but don't know how to do it :-). I had register myself today here and up to now, I was just an reader, not writer. However, this "flap problem" made me to do it :-).

Really, we have about 200 RB4xx boards too in our network and as time comes, we encountered more and more random reboots (due to IP watchdog - the event was logged in MK log) and RTSP topology changes (where RSTP used) when they shouldn't be (on normal conditions - no link overloadings, attacks, power interrupts etc.). And in switch logs, we found mysterious flapping of the ethernet interface, even though cablings (factory made patch cables) were measured and eventually changed, but without success. Boards were powered by the AC/DC adaptors, not by PoE.
So I started to look over the net, if somebody other has similar problem and found quite many posts (even in our Czech ISP MK forums).

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:25 pm

I would give you Karma - but don't know how to do it .
click on the "plus" button under his name on the left.
I had register myself today here and up to now, I was just an reader, not writer. However, this "flap problem" made me to do it .
did you also contact support? this is a community support. developers don't read everything.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

jfartak
just joined

Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:53 pm

Just for completation:

What makes this problem even worse is fact, that such ethernet down/up events makes switch (that is conected to the MK) to empty its dynamic MAC entries in its table for that port. So when it happened, unicast flood in the subnetwork where this switch is "root" is inevitable, because traffic sent to the MK port before the flap, is sent then immediately to the all ports (without the uplink of course), because switch does not know the learned MACs on the MK port as before. If you have more MKs in such network (or more on the same switch), some weaker models a la RB133 etc. may not handle such traffic (CPU 100 percent) and may reboot, or inaccessible for several seconds or even minute (if watchog sent it to reboot).

This is the worst thing I am afraid of. If MK handles e.g. 10-20Mbit of traffic and decides to "close" the door, then switch sents this traffic to all ports (and eventually other MK if present) and reboot/inaccessibility avalanche is here!. Sometimes, the outage is 2-3 seconds, but from logs I posted above - some of them I found were 20-30 seconds long! So until router sends ARP request to retrieve if such host behind MK is alive, unicast flood in the subnetwork will not dismiss. Of course, some smarter swicthes can reduce unicast floods by settings thresholds, but this is just a crutch.

Such traffic spikes and unicast floods were more times a day detected in our network, just due to this problem.

jfartak
just joined

Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:00 pm

I would give you Karma - but don't know how to do it .

click on the "plus" button under his name on the left.
Ahh, thank you, I finally found it :-)
I had register myself today here and up to now, I was just an reader, not writer. However, this "flap problem" made me to do it .
did you also contact support? this is a community support. developers don't read everything.
Up to now, not. But as it looks, I will have to :-). BTW thanks for explanation - I thought, that this forum is extensively under the look of developers.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:01 pm

I thought, that this forum is extensively under the look of developers.
:) :) I´ll bet they follow every topic if it is interesting enough for them.... they only won't acknowledge this otherwise users will start making claims.
So if a user want to make a claim or serious report they expect you to do a lit bit more effort and make an official support request with some additional information so they than are in a better situation to administer the follow-up.
(Not meaning though this always works 100%. They are also humans... :( )

Rudy R. Puister

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Aug 30, 2011 8:03 pm

Oh, thanks for the karma! You earned one too because I think this is a very helpfull report you made for these MT guys. :)

Rudy R. Puister

Ivoshiee

Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:41 pm

I've monitored my RB750G and that issue is more likely to affect ether1 (and ether2) ports - I see several port down/up and speed variation messages on those ports a day, but any port higher there is that not so frequent if any.

Note: No POE in use from ether1 is in use and ISP modem is still about 1,8 meters away on the same CAT5 cable.
It is likely not related, but that box went down on me twice today. All leds shining and all, but no ping response from any port nor traffic being processed. First measure was to change a PSU. I'll see if it will fail again or not.
Despite all that the port flapping is still the same:
18:59:44 interface,info ether1 link down 
18:59:48 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 10M, full duplex) 
19:14:00 dhcp,info server1 deassigned 192.168.21.51 from F0:DE:F1:0D:39:0F 
19:38:03 interface,info ether1 link down 
19:38:10 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 1000M, full duplex) 
19:38:10 dhcp,info server1 assigned 192.168.21.51 to F0:DE:F1:0D:39:0F 
19:59:42 interface,info ether1 link down 
19:59:46 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 10M, full duplex) 
20:04:27 interface,info ether1 link down 
20:04:34 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 1000M, full duplex) 
20:06:39 interface,info ether1 link down 
20:06:40 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 10M, full duplex) 
20:06:41 interface,info ether1 link down 
20:06:43 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 10M, full duplex) 
20:24:39 dhcp,info server1 deassigned 192.168.21.51 from F0:DE:F1:0D:39:0F 
20:50:44 interface,info ether1 link down 
20:50:51 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 1000M, full duplex) 
20:50:53 dhcp,info server1 assigned 192.168.21.51 to F0:DE:F1:0D:39:0F 
20:57:47 interface,info ether1 link down 
20:57:50 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 10M, full duplex) 
21:10:53 dhcp,info server1 deassigned 192.168.21.51 from F0:DE:F1:0D:39:0F 
aug/31 23:11:53 interface,info ether1 link down 
aug/31 23:12:00 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 1000M, full duplex) 
aug/31 23:12:01 dhcp,info server1 assigned 192.168.21.51 to F0:DE:F1:0D:39:0F 
aug/31 23:33:30 interface,info ether2 link down 
aug/31 23:33:32 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 10M, full duplex) 
aug/31 23:34:38 interface,info ether1 link down 
aug/31 23:34:40 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 10M, full duplex) 
aug/31 23:35:02 interface,info ether1 link down 
aug/31 23:52:00 dhcp,info server1 deassigned 192.168.21.51 from F0:DE:F1:0D:39:0F 
07:24:46 interface,info ether2 link down 
07:24:49 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 1000M, full duplex) 
12:31:59 interface,info ether2 link down 
12:32:00 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 10M, full duplex) 
12:56:46 interface,info ether5 link down 
12:56:48 interface,info ether5 link up (speed 100M, full duplex) 
13:03:18 interface,info ether5 link down 
13:03:20 interface,info ether5 link up (speed 100M, full duplex) 
13:18:37 interface,info ether5 link down 
13:18:38 interface,info ether5 link up (speed 100M, full duplex) 
13:28:09 interface,info ether5 link down 
13:28:11 interface,info ether5 link up (speed 100M, full duplex) 
14:34:00 interface,info ether2 link down 
14:34:03 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 1000M, full duplex) 
00:20:59 interface,info ether2 link down 
00:21:01 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 10M, full duplex) 
11:02:15 interface,info ether2 link down 
11:02:17 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 1000M, full duplex) 
13:46:40 interface,info ether2 link down 
13:46:42 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 10M, full duplex) 
13:47:32 interface,info ether2 link down 
14:06:46 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex) 
14:07:24 interface,info ether2 link down 
14:07:27 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 1000M, full duplex) 
14:08:03 interface,info ether2 link down 
14:08:07 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 1000M, full duplex)

wiyat

Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:49 am

Dear
Mikrotik Forum

I apologize for my write but its 1:31am 03/89/2011.

My scenery.:

Main Router (OSPF) --- RB1000(switch)/routing --RB433AH(PtP)/bridge -- RB433AH(PtP)/bridge ---RB1100AH(PPPoE)/OSPF--- RB493AH/Bridge 5 port (where is connected 4 AP) --- RB433AH/Two Radios/Bridge---End

Ten days ago after to upgrade all our Mikrotik equipment two 5.6V we note that one AP have to many drop and disconnection and over the RB493AH I see the ether9 down/up.- On this moment we reported to Mikrotik this problem and they recommend to me that Enable/RSTP on Bridge port because they think that the problem was a Loop.

A.- I enable the RSTP but the problem continue
B.- I read it on this forum that maybe the problem was the ethernet cable (I changed) but the
problem continue
C.- I change the RB433AH on the AP and the Radios but the problem continue
D.- I change the power supply and Poe and the problem continue

You can see my graphic where you understand that every 5 or 10 minutes the AP disconnect from the RB493AH by 3 sec and after come back but this problem affect to all client that is connect on this AP.

I spoke with the MT specialist on Mexico and he recommend that we need to add the mac address of our client on the access list, at the same time I ask to Janis/Mikrotik about it and he sent me back and email recommend that we need to do this.

Well yesterday 02/09/2011 aprox 23:00PM I added the clients that connect to this AP on the access list and right now 2:00AM on 03/09/2011 I not have the flap problem on the Port9.

I dont know if the problem go but I will be post on the next 2 days if the problem is 100% is fix it..

I hope that this information help you..

Best regards

Wiyat
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:34 pm

wiyat; I've been reading your post with interest.
It is always best to have wireless clients that are allowed to associate to AP in the access list. But that's another topic.
I find it curious that in your case putting AP's clients in its access list would solve the port flap on a router that is only attached to this AP via a Ethernet interface and cable.
I don't think one router would be influenced by another's associated clients. Lets see what happens. I've had occasions where a port flap issue disappeared only to come back after some days....

But keep us posted what your findings are. In your case it is clear your 349AH has a port flap issue and its real, since your AP looses contact when your Etherenet port 9 is down.

Rudy R. Puister

wiyat

Sat Sep 03, 2011 10:55 pm

Dear
Rudy

The problem is on the Firmware 2.29 that this firmware coming with any error and I dont know how I can put back to the older version of firmware on my RB433AH.

Do you know how I can do this, please specify from where I can download the before version.

We have install 50 AP RB433AH and we not have any problem on 49 equipment and only this one, the only change that I do was that I upgrade the firmware to 2.29 and after this situation I have a error on my ethernet port down/up (FLAP).

If you know how I can downgrade the firmware to the before version of 2.29 and tell me from where I can download to test right now I will be testing now.

Thank you..

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:01 am

How to downgrade the firmware:
@adi55 wrote this:
Downgrade procedure is quite simple:
1. Download the .fwf firmware file for corresponding product firmware from http://routerboard.com/index.php?showProduct=52.
Drag&drop this file into File Window from Winbox.
2. Reboot.
3. Last operations:
from terminal window:
/system routerboard print
and check the "update-firmware" to see if the downgrade version was "seen". If it is then you will put:
/system routerboard upgrade
which, in this case will do a "downgrade" firmware.
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... 80#p259480

and the warning from @willy:
Do not downgrade the firmware to lower than the device released! Be careful! Downgrade only if you exactly know what will happen (for example device runs with this version before).
same topic.

Please let us know how you're going. It might be a solution....

Rudy R. Puister

Ivoshiee

Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:01 am

If that is the firmware issue then where to get 2.27 for a RB750G to test it out?

wiyat

Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:49 am

Dear
WirelessRudy and Ivoshiee

The main point is that i dont found on internet a site from where I can download the older version to download.- On Mikrotik Forum exist a topic that show how to do this but when do you go to routerboard.com the firmware file is actual 2.36.

Mikrotik.Wiki not recommend to do this "downgrade to the before version" apparently we can damage the board is better to upgrade to the last firmware version.- For this reason you dont found a older firmware version on Internet.

I have two idea:
1. Using a netinstall I try to download to the original firmware version, if this no working its ok.
2. I will be update to the 2.36 version and I hope that my problem will be correct.

At the same time I report to Mikrotik about this situation where we testing the 5.6 Roteros version and 2.29 firmware in other AP that is on production and we have the Flap problem too, automatically after to upgrade the firmware on this RB433AH the flap problem start.

Remember this is a Theory about the firmware because maybe the problem is my RB433AH that have 14 months that is working and maybe the firmware its not compatible with the chip I dont know.

I write you after that we test our solution and I hope that this work.

Thank u

Ivoshiee

Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:23 am

I haven't found a proper firmware and thus I haven't reverted the RB750G firmware, yet.

Another variant of that port flip is reported here:
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=54790

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:44 pm

I haven't found a proper firmware and thus I haven't reverted the RB750G firmware, yet.

I took 4 new units in use this week, I updated to 5.6 but did not update the firmware. I'm putting them in production and will monitor them. If they don't have the port flap coming up in a week or so I will still update the firmware and see what happens then....

Rudy R. Puister

Ivoshiee

Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:06 pm

I took 4 new units in use this week, I updated to 5.6 but did not update the firmware. I'm putting them in production and will monitor them. If they don't have the port flap coming up in a week or so I will still update the firmware and see what happens then....
Good plan for the starters.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:50 am

New Issue developed today!"

rb493AH running for over one year.
On Ethernet port 8 a backhaul link is connected that consist out of two in bridge mode working NanoStationM's
This link works for 8 months without issues.
Since this morning Ethernet port 8 of rb493AH started to flip on and off. This is a real one since units and customers behind that link lost their connection.

I set the Ethernet to 10Mb manual and the problem is gone although the speed is maximal 6Mb over that back-haul which is not enough!
The moment I switch the port manual to 100Mb or set negotiation to ´auto´ the port starts to flicker on and off.

Just send a support request for this one, but no ticket no. received yet.

I am going to switch units off, and back on (power cycle) to see if that might make any difference.

Rudy R. Puister

n21roadie
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:23 am

Hi Rudy not sure if this of any help but i had a issue with a 493ah where on one ethernet port going to a ptp link was going down and by just disabling and few moments later re-enabling would solve the problem for hours this happened not every day but about every three days, the only entry in the log about the down time was reporting ospf route loss after trying a lot to pin point the source i traced the fault to a DHCP conflict coming back from a internal router in a household into a rb750 further down the ptp link chain, this was after ethernet from 493 to 433 wireless link to 433 (PtP) ethernet to 750 and also using nat masquerade from 10.152.x.x to 192.168.10.x ???????
N21roadie,
Network 100% MT for Now?

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:17 pm

OK, I took the Ethernet cable out of this flapping port 8 (All other ports are in use and all connected to as many more backhauls + one to main gateway to internet)
Waited 2 mins and put it back in. Port still flapped in 100Mb mode.

Powered rb493AH down, waited 2 mins and powered up again (all cables attached, whole network down!).
Router came up and I switched port 8 to 100Mb manual. Connected up fine.
Now, 30mins later port did not flap a single time!

Obviously their is something wrong with the software or the Ethernet driver.
Now I have to sit and wait to see what is happening.

In the meantime waiting for v5.7 that was promised last week... :(
Hopefully the reason for the delay is that they are still working on this issue before they bring 5.7 out. Otherwise they can start on 5.8!

MT: Ticket#2011091366000173 refers to this specific issue. If you answer to that mail I can send you 2 more supout.rif's. One at 100Mb but flapping and one after the power cycle.

(It might be an idea to have support request to have the ability to add more files to the mail. At least 2, 1 before an issue and 1 after a change/reboot/power cycle.)

Rudy R. Puister

wirelesswaves

Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:03 pm

I am begining to wonder if it is hardware related, you remember that I said the other day, that an AP appeared to freeze the other day, and that although I was unable to contact it over the wire, that the customers appeared unaffected.

And that was because, the AP had a second wlan interface (backhaul), so no data was physically leaving the router via its ethernet port. But within 5 mins I had customers complaining that they had lost internet, they were all connected via various AP's on the same tower, but their cables all went to a RB750, and all the traffic left the RB750 via port 2 to the backhaul within the AP mentioned above.

Rebooting all the routers by power cycling made no difference, however as soon as I physically touched the ethernet cable plugged up to port 2 on the RB750, everything sprang back into life.

I now believe that there may be a faulty batch of RJ45 connectors out there. The RJ45 connector has magnetics that are delicate and also sensitive to over-soldering, I know because I trashed one trying to remove it from the pcb, although it appeared intact, the heat had damaged the internal magnetics.

Maybe these are put in by hand and maybe on the assembly line there is a guy/gal who keeps the soldering iron on for too long. Maybe that is causing dry/oxidised joints within the RJ45 socket that appear to fail when there is temperature changes.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:14 pm

I am begining to wonder if it is hardware related, you remember that I said the other day, that an AP appeared to freeze the other day, and that although I was unable to contact it over the wire, that the customers appeared unaffected.

And that was because, the AP had a second wlan interface (backhaul), so no data was physically leaving the router via its ethernet port. But within 5 mins I had customers complaining that they had lost internet, they were all connected via various AP's on the same tower, but their cables all went to a RB750, and all the traffic left the RB750 via port 2 to the backhaul within the AP mentioned above.

Rebooting all the routers by power cycling made no difference, however as soon as I physically touched the ethernet cable plugged up to port 2 on the RB750, everything sprang back into life.

I now believe that there may be a faulty batch of RJ45 connectors out there. The RJ45 connector has magnetics that are delicate and also sensitive to over-soldering, I know because I trashed one trying to remove it from the pcb, although it appeared intact, the heat had damaged the internal magnetics.

Maybe these are put in by hand and maybe on the assembly line there is a guy/gal who keeps the soldering iron on for too long. Maybe that is causing dry/oxidised joints within the RJ45 socket that appear to fail when there is temperature changes.
Well, you might be true.
But it seems that I've an unreasonably big amount of this ´bad badge´ coming my way! According MT I was actually the only one having the issue to start with! :lol:

Anyway, your story sounds plausible with my limited knowledge compared to you. :wink:
But how does this relate to the fact that most port flapping units also see the issue disappear if the software is set to ´manual´ and the rate to 10Mb?

And what would be the reason most flaps happen during daytime hours while issues seem to greatly disappear overnight? Several users more or less have reported this behaviour in the forum.

Would be interesting if MT finally could shine a light on this and if they are working on the issue. So far its damn silent from their end. :(

Rudy R. Puister

trn76
just joined

Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:02 pm

Hi everyone, I got the same problem occuring several places.

RB1100 v5.6 firm 2.30 was flipping ether1-5.
We tried various auto-negotiate on/off and speed settings, but we didnt notice any difference(no, we did not try 10Mbps, as its just wont carry the traffic).
Next, we replaced the RB1100 with a brand new one, but the issue is the same.
Tonight we are going to replace it with a new RB1200....and see what happens.
We are an ISP and this issue is serious... So I really hope MT will come up with the solution fast.

There isnt any high CPU loud (16-28%), total bw around 20-70Mbps max, and not alot of small packages...all fine really.

Here is the log from the newly replaced RB1100.....
sep/11 03:02:10 interface,info ether4 link down 
sep/11 03:02:10 interface,info ether5 link down 
sep/11 03:02:13 interface,info ether5 link up (speed 100M, full duplex) 
sep/11 03:02:14 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 1000M, full duplex) 
sep/11 03:02:14 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 1000M, full duplex) 
sep/11 03:02:14 interface,info ether3 link up (speed 1000M, full duplex) 
sep/11 03:02:14 interface,info ether4 link up (speed 1000M, full duplex) 
sep/11 09:28:16 interface,info ether3 link down 
sep/11 09:28:19 interface,info ether3 link up (speed 1000M, full duplex) 
sep/12 06:46:19 interface,info ether4 link down 
sep/12 06:46:22 interface,info ether4 link up (speed 1000M, full duplex) 
sep/12 06:46:50 route,ospf,info OSPFv2 neighbor 5.5.5.5: state change from Full to Down 
sep/12 07:33:38 interface,info ether1 link down 
sep/12 07:33:38 interface,info ether2 link down 
sep/12 07:33:38 interface,info ether3 link down 
sep/12 07:33:38 interface,info ether4 link down 
sep/12 07:33:38 interface,info ether5 link down 
sep/12 07:33:41 interface,info ether5 link up (speed 100M, full duplex) 
sep/12 07:33:42 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 1000M, full duplex) 
sep/12 07:33:42 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 1000M, full duplex) 
sep/12 07:33:42 interface,info ether3 link up (speed 1000M, full duplex) 
sep/12 07:33:42 interface,info ether4 link up (speed 1000M, full duplex) 
sep/12 10:37:11 interface,info ether3 link down 
sep/12 10:37:14 interface,info ether3 link up (speed 1000M, full duplex) 
sep/12 18:56:49 interface,info ether1 link down 
sep/12 18:56:49 interface,info ether2 link down 
sep/12 18:56:49 interface,info ether3 link down 
sep/12 18:56:49 interface,info ether4 link down 
sep/12 18:56:49 interface,info ether5 link down 
sep/12 18:56:51 interface,info ether5 link up (speed 100M, full duplex) 
sep/12 18:56:52 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 1000M, full duplex) 
sep/12 18:56:52 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 1000M, full duplex) 
sep/12 18:56:52 interface,info ether3 link up (speed 1000M, full duplex) 
sep/12 18:56:53 interface,info ether1 link down 
sep/12 18:56:53 interface,info ether2 link down 
sep/12 18:56:53 interface,info ether3 link down 
sep/12 18:56:53 interface,info ether5 link down 
sep/12 18:56:55 interface,info ether5 link up (speed 100M, full duplex) 
sep/12 18:56:56 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 1000M, full duplex) 
sep/12 18:56:56 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 1000M, full duplex) 
sep/12 18:56:56 interface,info ether3 link up (speed 1000M, full duplex) 
sep/12 18:56:56 interface,info ether4 link up (speed 1000M, full duplex) 
07:21:35 interface,info ether1 link down 
07:21:35 interface,info ether2 link down 
07:21:35 interface,info ether3 link down 
07:21:35 interface,info ether4 link down 
07:21:35 interface,info ether5 link down 
07:21:37 interface,info ether5 link up (speed 100M, full duplex) 
07:21:38 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 1000M, full duplex) 
07:21:38 interface,info ether3 link up (speed 1000M, full duplex) 
07:21:38 interface,info ether4 link up (speed 1000M, full duplex) 
07:21:39 interface,info ether2 link down 
07:21:39 interface,info ether3 link down 
07:21:39 interface,info ether4 link down 
07:21:39 interface,info ether5 link down 
07:21:41 interface,info ether5 link up (speed 100M, full duplex) 
07:21:42 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 1000M, full duplex) 
07:21:42 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 1000M, full duplex) 
07:21:42 interface,info ether3 link up (speed 1000M, full duplex) 
07:21:42 interface,info ether4 link up (speed 1000M, full duplex) 
We got a PowerRouter lying around, but there isnt enough ether ports on it...but first lets see how the RB1200 handles it.

wirelesswaves

Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:20 pm

MMM MMM KKK TTTTTTTTTTT KKK
MMMM MMMM KKK TTTTTTTTTTT KKK
MMM MMMM MMM III KKK KKK RRRRRR OOOOOO TTT III KKK KKK
MMM MM MMM III KKKKK RRR RRR OOO OOO TTT III KKKKK
MMM MMM III KKK KKK RRRRRR OOO OOO TTT III KKK KKK
MMM MMM III KKK KKK RRR RRR OOOOOO TTT III KKK KKK

MikroTik RouterOS 5.6 (c) 1999-2011 http://www.mikrotik.com/

sep/10 09:16:31 interface,info ether2 link down
sep/10 09:16:33 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/10 17:55:11 system,info,account user admin logged in from xxxxxxxxxxx via winbox
sep/10 17:56:15 system,info,account user admin logged out from xxxxxxxxxx via winbox

sep/11 00:35:52 interface,info ether2 link down
sep/11 00:35:53 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/11 00:38:00 interface,info ether2 link down
sep/11 00:38:01 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/11 00:46:18 interface,info ether2 link down
sep/11 00:46:20 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/11 02:10:17 interface,info ether2 link down
sep/11 02:10:19 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/11 05:19:13 interface,info ether2 link down
sep/11 05:19:15 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/11 08:45:16 interface,info ether2 link down
sep/11 08:45:18 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/11 10:34:11 interface,info ether2 link down
sep/11 10:34:13 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/11 10:34:22 interface,info ether2 link down
sep/11 10:34:24 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/11 13:28:16 interface,info ether2 link down
sep/11 13:28:17 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/11 13:30:14 interface,info ether2 link down
sep/11 13:30:16 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/11 13:30:49 interface,info ether2 link down
sep/11 13:30:51 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/11 13:31:38 interface,info ether2 link down
sep/11 13:31:40 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/11 23:10:46 interface,info ether2 link down
sep/11 23:10:48 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/11 23:12:14 interface,info ether2 link down
sep/11 23:12:16 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/11 23:15:51 interface,info ether2 link down
sep/11 23:15:53 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/11 23:16:50 interface,info ether2 link down
sep/11 23:16:51 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/12 02:14:54 interface,info ether2 link down
sep/12 02:14:55 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/12 03:09:09 interface,info ether2 link down
sep/12 03:09:10 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/12 03:13:12 interface,info ether2 link down
sep/12 03:13:13 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/12 11:00:11 interface,info ether2 link down
sep/12 11:00:13 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/12 17:07:34 system,info,account user admin logged in from xxxxxxxxx winbox
sep/12 17:08:04 system,info,account user admin logged out from xxxxxxx via winbox

sep/12 23:37:19 interface,info ether2 link down
sep/12 23:37:21 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/12 23:54:12 interface,info ether2 link down
sep/12 23:54:14 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/12 23:59:16 interface,info ether2 link down
sep/12 23:59:18 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/12 23:59:23 interface,info ether2 link down
sep/12 23:59:24 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
00:33:29 interface,info ether2 link down
00:33:30 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
00:48:18 interface,info ether2 link down
00:48:20 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
01:05:51 interface,info ether2 link down
01:05:52 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
01:46:17 interface,info ether2 link down
01:46:18 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
01:58:22 interface,info ether2 link down
01:58:23 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
02:25:09 interface,info ether2 link down
02:25:10 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
02:44:24 interface,info ether2 link down
02:44:25 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
02:50:48 interface,info ether2 link down
02:50:49 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
02:52:00 interface,info ether2 link down
02:52:01 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
02:53:16 interface,info ether2 link down
02:53:17 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
02:57:07 interface,info ether2 link down
02:57:08 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
03:04:23 interface,info ether2 link down
03:04:25 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
03:09:33 interface,info ether2 link down
03:09:35 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
03:18:07 interface,info ether2 link down
03:18:09 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
03:25:49 interface,info ether2 link down
03:25:50 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
03:30:36 interface,info ether2 link down
03:30:38 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
06:44:10 interface,info ether2 link down
06:44:12 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
09:26:00 interface,info ether2 link down
09:26:02 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
09:53:38 interface,info ether2 link down
09:53:39 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
09:54:04 interface,info ether2 link down
09:54:05 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
09:54:18 interface,info ether2 link down
09:54:20 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
10:03:37 interface,info ether2 link down
10:03:39 interface,info ether2 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
17:05:48 system,info,account user admin logged in from 192.169.5.2 via winbox
17:06:15 system,info,account user admin logged in from 192.169.5.2 via telnet

Really, what "bullshit" (from them) Dozens of us have been experiencing this problem for months, and I agree YOU and a limited amount of others have been telling them.. I suppose its OUR fault for making a silly mistake of assuming that they were going to do something about it.. I suppose the only way for them to believe it, is for us to send in our logs daily..

Above is the router (RB750) in question... Odd that the log should show sept 12 and not sept 13 as winbox does, (but then I guess thats just another bug!!!)

OOOO heres one from a client's router

MMM MMM KKK TTTTTTTTTTT KKK
MMMM MMMM KKK TTTTTTTTTTT KKK
MMM MMMM MMM III KKK KKK RRRRRR OOOOOO TTT III KKK KKK
MMM MM MMM III KKKKK RRR RRR OOO OOO TTT III KKKKK
MMM MMM III KKK KKK RRRRRR OOO OOO TTT III KKK KKK
MMM MMM III KKK KKK RRR RRR OOOOOO TTT III KKK KKK

MikroTik RouterOS 5.6 (c) 1999-2011 http://www.mikrotik.com/

sep/06 09:25:06 interface,info ether1 link down
sep/06 09:25:09 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/06 09:25:11 interface,info ether1 link down
sep/06 09:25:13 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/06 09:25:31 interface,info ether1 link down
sep/06 09:25:35 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 10M, half duplex)
sep/06 20:27:09 system,info,account user admin logged in from xxxxxx via winbox
sep/06 20:28:57 system,info,account user admin logged out from xxxxxxx via winbox
sep/07 09:51:07 interface,info ether1 link down
sep/07 09:51:10 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/07 09:51:12 interface,info ether1 link down
sep/07 09:51:14 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/07 09:51:33 interface,info ether1 link down
sep/07 09:51:35 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 10M, half duplex)
sep/07 14:16:53 interface,info ether1 link down
sep/07 14:16:56 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/07 14:16:58 interface,info ether1 link down
sep/07 14:17:00 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/07 14:17:20 interface,info ether1 link down
sep/07 14:17:23 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 10M, half duplex)
sep/08 09:31:25 interface,info ether1 link down
sep/08 09:31:28 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/08 09:31:30 interface,info ether1 link down
sep/08 09:31:32 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/08 09:31:49 interface,info ether1 link down
sep/08 09:31:52 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 10M, half duplex)
sep/08 09:53:02 interface,info ether1 link down
sep/08 09:53:15 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/08 09:53:17 interface,info ether1 link down
sep/08 09:53:19 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/08 09:53:39 interface,info ether1 link down
sep/08 09:53:42 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 10M, half duplex)
sep/08 20:53:28 interface,info ether1 link down
sep/08 20:53:31 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/08 20:53:33 interface,info ether1 link down
sep/08 20:53:35 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/08 20:53:52 interface,info ether1 link down
sep/08 20:53:55 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 10M, half duplex)
sep/08 20:58:17 interface,info ether1 link down
sep/08 20:58:30 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/08 20:58:32 interface,info ether1 link down
sep/08 20:58:34 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/08 20:58:50 interface,info ether1 link down
sep/08 20:58:53 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 10M, half duplex)
sep/08 22:52:47 interface,info ether1 link down
sep/08 22:52:50 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/08 22:52:52 interface,info ether1 link down
sep/08 22:52:54 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/08 22:53:11 interface,info ether1 link down
sep/08 22:53:14 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 10M, half duplex)
sep/09 09:21:47 interface,info ether1 link down
sep/09 09:21:50 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/09 09:21:52 interface,info ether1 link down
sep/09 09:21:54 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/09 09:22:12 interface,info ether1 link down
sep/09 09:22:15 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 10M, half duplex)
sep/10 09:12:18 interface,info ether1 link down
sep/10 09:12:20 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/10 09:12:22 interface,info ether1 link down
sep/10 09:12:24 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/10 09:12:41 interface,info ether1 link down
sep/10 09:12:44 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 10M, half duplex)
sep/11 10:42:43 interface,info ether1 link down
sep/11 10:42:46 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/11 10:42:48 interface,info ether1 link down
sep/11 10:42:50 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/11 10:43:07 interface,info ether1 link down
sep/11 10:43:11 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 10M, half duplex)
sep/12 08:42:13 interface,info ether1 link down
sep/12 08:42:15 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/12 08:42:18 interface,info ether1 link down
sep/12 08:42:19 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/12 08:42:38 interface,info ether1 link down
sep/12 08:42:41 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 10M, half duplex)
sep/12 16:48:00 interface,info ether1 link down
sep/12 16:48:03 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/12 16:48:05 interface,info ether1 link down
sep/12 16:48:07 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
sep/12 16:48:31 interface,info ether1 link down
sep/12 16:48:33 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 10M, half duplex)
09:43:13 interface,info ether1 link down
09:43:16 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
09:43:18 interface,info ether1 link down
09:43:19 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
09:43:38 interface,info ether1 link down
09:43:42 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 10M, half duplex)
11:25:06 interface,info ether1 link down
11:25:11 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
11:25:15 interface,info ether1 link down
11:25:25 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
11:25:28 interface,info ether1 link down
11:25:30 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 100M, full duplex)
11:25:47 interface,info ether1 link down
11:25:49 interface,info ether1 link up (speed 10M, half duplex)
17:14:19 system,info,account user admin logged in from xxxxx via winbox
17:14:39 system,info,account user admin logged in from xxxxxx via telnet

[admin@MikroTik] /log>

No doubt Nomis will slate me for posting meaningless logs instead of sending in RIF's, but whats the point in sending those in, if they are going to be ignored!!

Anyhow, my point, it happens, DAY or NIGHT!!!!

Anymore logs required from the dozens of RB's doing the same thing!!!!!

fewi
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Sep 13, 2011 6:31 pm

I doubt this is helpful, but just because: I have around 100 RB1100s installed, they all connect to Cisco switches. Most at 1000/full auto negotiated, some at 100/full auto negotiated (as limited by the switch on the other side).

I don't have any link flaps anywhere, ever.

Slightly odd use case, though: only ether1 and ether6 are used on any of those boards. All other ports are shut down (disabled) within RouterOS.

Could this have to do with the switch chips? At a quick glance through the thread the hardware models people are having issues on all have switch chips though I may have missed some posts.

On the other hand I don't have any issues on an RB750G at home either where all ports are in use - but none of them are switched, they're all routed.
Specific answers require specific questions. When in doubt, post the output of "/ip address print detail", "/ip route print detail", "/interface print detail", "/ip firewall export", and an accurate network diagram.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:03 am

I doubt this is helpful, but just because: I have around 100 RB1100s installed, they all connect to Cisco switches. Most at 1000/full auto negotiated, some at 100/full auto negotiated (as limited by the switch on the other side).

I don't have any link flaps anywhere, ever.

Slightly odd use case, though: only ether1 and ether6 are used on any of those boards. All other ports are shut down (disabled) within RouterOS.

Could this have to do with the switch chips? At a quick glance through the thread the hardware models people are having issues on all have switch chips though I may have missed some posts.

On the other hand I don't have any issues on an RB750G at home either where all ports are in use - but none of them are switched, they're all routed.
I have rb112's, 133c's, 532A's, 411's, 493AH, now the groove and the SXT. Every model has a port flap at times. Not ALL, but it is spread over all my units. 5% of my routers have it severe, 10% mild and some 30% occasional. But more than half never has the port flap issue. I don't know if the groove and the SXT as well as the older boards have switch chips but these units do have the issue.

Most of my units are not earthed nor use shielded cables. That has never been a problem but I started to think in that direction. Until this morning where my rb493AH suddenly developed the issue on one of its ports. This board is properly grounded. It is connected with a non shielded cable to a NanoStationM. Removing the cable for some time did not solve the problem. After attaching it again the problem was back. Only a ´cold reboot´ (power cycle) solved the problem. Now, for 12 hours, the board runs fine again and no more port flaps.

Now can I change that cable for a shielded one to see if the issue comes back or not. I will only know after some months. Without such cable the port didn't flap for at least 5 months. And it is a backhaul so all sorts of traffic load runs over it.

MT not replying to this topic the last days/weeks combined with the postpone of the already overdue release of v5.7 makes me only to think they must be with their hands in their hair not knowing what to do! :(

Rudy R. Puister

hopp
just joined

Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:32 am

FWIW I had a similar issue with port flapping. I added a ferrite bead on the eth cable cleared it right up. Turns out it was some UBNT 900mhz gear causing the issue for me.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:40 am

Update on my last port flap issue:

It happened again tonight.
This time the power cycle of my 493AH did not solve the issue. And even in 10Mb manual the port kept flapping. (Etherport 8) Power cycling of the NanostationLocoN also did not solve the problem.
I swapped port 8 with 9 to see if it was the port of the rb493AH. No, now port 9 developed the issue while port 8 became working normal with some other stuff connected. So, it must be an external source.

- removed the NanostationLocoN (call it NSLN) and put it on my desk. Connected it up with two non shielded cables through MT powershot with 18V adapter and hooked up to my PC. Everything OK, no port flap.
- the data cable that normally connects between my rb493AH and the powershot I now connected to my PC and the MT powershot while the short cable was still connected with POE to the NSLN Everything OK, no port flap. So that first leg of cable has no issue.
- replaced the MT 18V adapter by the original 12V UBNT adapter. Everything OK, no port flap. (Still all to my PC) So it has nothing to do with voltage.
- replaced the MT powershot to the original UBNT adapter. Port started immediately to flap again! (It not only shows on the NSLN LED, also my PC reported the port losing connection and making it again... etc.
- used a second UBNT powershot. Same issue, port started to flap again.
- Put MT powershot back in place, everything OK. no port flap.
- Put again for double check both the UBNT powershots in place. All OK. No more port flaps!!!!
- Put MT powershot back in place, all OK. No port flap.
- PUt NSLN back in mast and connected it to original last cable leg while MT powershot in use. All OK, No port flaps.
- Put UBNT powershot back in place. All OK, no port flaps...
- Put MT powershot back in place. All OK, no port flaps and after 20 mins closed everything up and went home. (Its 2 AM!)

Conclusion: I don't know any more!
What can be wrong? Maybe bad contacts in the cable connector or powershots playing up with increase/decrease in humidity due temp rise/fall? All connectors are without physical tension, in a dry ventilated place and free of insects.

I noticed that although the cable in use is a shielded one, the connectors are not. So next thing tomorrow is to replace the connectors for shielded ones. Same time put some electro cleaner at the Ethernet ports of the chain. Maybe some small corrosion took place on one of the tiny contacts?
Hope that helps.....

Keep you updated.....

(So it looks like this specific one is not so much an issue of the rb port. The port flap came from the UBNT device.)

Rudy R. Puister

9dollor
just joined

Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:17 am

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:47 am

I've had exactly the same problem with my central unit rb1000 a year ago. Running v.4.x versions. But here the ports just stopped sending traffic out. Incoming always stayed working. Only way to solve was power cycles.
After interconnection all my 6 rb's with same daisy chain grounding and installing v5.x ROS problems solved and gone....

In general the last three years we have several problems with Ethernet ports. Several rb411's and 133C's just lost the Ethernet port. Some even during the first initial default script startup. I just threw away a stack of boards collected over the years with dead Ethernet ports.
(They were waiting for repair but in fact only collecting dust and occupying space. So I just binned them! Can't waste my time and money on these.)

Ethernet ports and the cables with their connectors are responsible for at least 85% of all problems we have on the network over all those years. :(

Rudy R. Puister

wiyat

Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:01 am

Dear
All User Affected

I correct the FLAP Problem on my Network.

Situation: Apparently the new version 5.6 and the firmware that come together with this version come with the flap problem and affect the Mikrotik Equipment RB493, RB493AH, RB433AH, RB750 Etc, the problem start on the port 8 or 1 to or 1 to 8, how you detected.

1. CPU going up to 80%
2. Drop packet (smokeping monitoring)
3. Mirkrotik Tools profile (management profile going up to 70%)

How I do.

I request to Mikrotik the old firmware of all my MIkrotik RB 750,493,433 etc and after to downgrade the firmware to 2.20 and keep the version to 5.6 the network work normal I have 10 days that I not have any problem.

I dont know what is the problem on the Firmware version but the problem its solved.

if you need any support about it please send me an email to wiyat at yahoo com spanish/english and I will be help you.

Thank You Janis and Normis..

best regards,

Wiyat
The only way to find and correct the problem is contact to Mikrotik...

zervan

Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:55 am

I'm glad to say I haven't had any issues like that with the newest ROS and firmware. However, yesterday had one of my RB750G exactly these symptoms:
1. CPU going up to 80%
3. Mirkrotik Tools profile (management profile going up to 70%
At first I didn't understand, what's wrong, but when I looked at active connections I saw many connections to my SSH port (other than 22, I've changed it) from a suspicious address from internet. I set firewall to block it and the problem was solved.
Dusan Zervan from Slovakia
MTCNA, MTCRE

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:01 am

thanks for the tip, zervan. others should also check if there are no attacks on your router at the time of the problem. high CPU usage is also suspicious. remember also that in v5.7 there is a DHCP server bug, where it causes high resource usage if it's on a disabled interface. this is fixed in v5.8
No answer to your question? How to write posts