Community discussions

MikroTik App

tevolo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Slow Btest on Gigabit Routers

Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:27 pm

I have two routers connected to each other via a CAT6 cable.
Router A is 1100AH, Router B is a 450G. The link between the two is a full-duplex 1Gbps connection.

How come I can only get ~60Mbps of full-duplex speed on the bandwidth test?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

w0lt
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Slow Btest on Gigabit Routers

Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:32 pm

Try using "UDP" tcp will be slower due to the talk backs.

tevolo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:26 pm

If I only test Receive on TCP, it can only get to 150Mbps. Whenever I have tested bandwidth on a 100mbps connection, I usually get about 90-95mbps. How come I can't get to gigabit speeds(or close at 900mbps) on Gigabit interfaces?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

karlos
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:13 pm

Nobody said that this Hardware is capable to run at this speed. It has just Gbit interface, but it is not able to handle data at this speed.

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:15 pm

Cpu is on 100%. Do have not enough power to Btest in TCP

tevolo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:05 pm

Nobody said that this Hardware is capable to run at this speed. It has just Gbit interface, but it is not able to handle data at this speed.
I guess I was expecting more out of the RB1100AH and Gigabit Interfaces.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:23 pm

You are doing the test wrong. Btest generates random data, so to generate this random data for the test, you are maxing out the CPU. You can't run the test on the same router which you are testing. Find a 12 core Xeon PC to generate the Btest

tevolo
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:23 am

Ran from a brand new Quad Core Computer (i7-2700k). Only used 5% of my CPU on the computer - 100% on the router.

Receive TCP max 550mbps
Send TCP max 120mbps
Receive UDP max 950mbps
Send UDP max 120mbps
Send/Receive TCP and UDP max 80mbps

Looks good except I thought the Full Duplex test would be much higher.

oeyre
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:51 am

You are doing the test wrong. Btest generates random data, so to generate this random data for the test, you are maxing out the CPU. You can't run the test on the same router which you are testing. Find a 12 core Xeon PC to generate the Btest
Why is there such a big difference of CPU use between TCP and UDP tests of the same speed?

I have an RB1200 set to Local/Remote Tx of 3M/3M and a UDP test uses 2% in profiler at most (overall CPU use is 4-9%). When I change it to TCP however overall CPU is always 100%.

One odd thing is that the top process when running a TCP test is not always btest. It seems to alternate between dhcp, ppp, hotspot, unclassified.

tyronzn
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:51 pm

Normis is correct,you need to get two highend pc's and connect them either side of the routers and use the mikrotik bandwidth test tool for windows and do the test through the routers (thats how client traffic would be passing through the routers anyway)

UDP is a connectionless protocol meaning it doesnt request the file again if parts or segments of it didnt reach the other side whereas TCP is a connection oriented protocol,the router acknowledges all parts of the file have been received,this in turn creates overhead traffic which explains the test results.For bandwidth tests always use UDP,that is the true test of any networking device.

oeyre
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:15 am

Normis is correct,you need to get two highend pc's and connect them either side of the routers and use the mikrotik bandwidth test tool for windows and do the test through the routers (thats how client traffic would be passing through the routers anyway)

UDP is a connectionless protocol meaning it doesnt request the file again if parts or segments of it didnt reach the other side whereas TCP is a connection oriented protocol,the router acknowledges all parts of the file have been received,this in turn creates overhead traffic which explains the test results.For bandwidth tests always use UDP,that is the true test of any networking device.
You're saying its unreasonable for me to expect that a RB1200 with a 999MHz CPU can generate and track 1 megabit of traffic without maxing out the CPU?

macgaiver
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:56 am

Just connect router to Internet with good uplink, connect your laptop and start downloading a torrent that have several thousands of seeds - you will get most realistic test possible.

In the lab test should consist of 3 devices - PC(source)<->router<->PC(destination)

boxybh
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:24 am

i tried running btest on in between 2 pcs they never connect to each other while mik can connect to either of pcs made as btest server.

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jan 20, 2023 9:35 am

Digging up a decade old topic! congrats!

Ca6ko

Fri Jan 20, 2023 12:59 pm

... they never connect to each....
Try to set a limit to both receiving and transmitting. I have encountered when without a limit the program does not work. And note that TCP test version of the program with a file size of 750 kb is not supported. The old version of the program with a file size of 153kb does.