Community discussions

MikroTik App

rutman286
Topic Author

fairly basic "access point" issue...

Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:59 pm

I have an omnitik U-5HnD that I am trying to set up just as a simple wireless access point.

Consider the following:

Port 1 is connected to my wired network and is set to a static IP of 172.16.10.x.

Any computer that is conned to ports 2 through 5, or the WLAN needs to recieve and IP address from the company DHCP server (not the built in one). As with a "normal" router, this also means traffic should be flowing through port 1 to the other ports.

I have DHCP relay working, so any computer I hook to to ports 2 through 5 are getting valid DHCP, DNS, Netmask, WINS, Etc. assignments, but absolutely no traffic seems to be flowing after that. I can't even ping machines on the local network.

Any ideas? I am sure this is something very simple, but I just can't seem to wrap my brain around what I am missing.

TheWiFiGuy

Re: fairly basic "access point" issue...

Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:10 pm

Ive not used the omnitik, but can't you just bridge ports 1-5 and wan? Drop the dhcp-relay as its not needed and it will just work as a standard AP?

rutman286
Topic Author

Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:13 pm

Ive not used the omnitik, but can't you just bridge ports 1-5 and wan? Drop the dhcp-relay as its not needed and it will just work as a standard AP?

You know that's what I was thinking as well, but that is what I have done and traffic is not flowing...

scampbell
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

I will assume you have a bridge containg Ether1-5 plus wlan ?

Ensure you have no src-nat rule in place and delete any DHCP server's and DHCP Relay's

In this enviroment you should not need any DHCP as the request's will be passed through the Bridge to your DHCP anyway.

Also disable ALL firewall rules while testing to be sure they are not stopping any traffic.