Community discussions

MikroTik App

just joined
Topic Author

RB250GS: Is this what I need? Bypassing DPI (for VOIP use)

Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:08 am

Hi all,

I did some searching on the forum, but till now I did not find the info that I needed.

The situation:
I have one "client" who is located in the UAE, and who would still like to be able to use his "hardware" VOIP telephone (a GXV3140)
The problem with the UAE is that they do DPI (deep packet inspection) on all data, and block any VOIP data.
We have managed to setup an openVPN with the "client" and the Asterisk server (using TLS transport), and the VOIP is kind of working.

One of the reps from the company who makes the GXV3140 told me that we could also use a MikroTIK RouterBoard to achieve this.

So here is my question:
Would a (two I guess) RB250GS MikroTik RouterBoard be able to help us bypassing the DPI?

Thank you for any info on this!

Noel
PS: I'm sorry if this question has been asked before. If so, please post the link.

reverged
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: RB250GS: Is this what I need? Bypassing DPI (for VOIP us

Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:16 am

The RB250GS is a switch and it sounds like you need a router.

Take a look at the RB450G. One of my favorites.

Where is the Asterisk server located? If the dpi can sniff out voip audio streams (not just sip), you will need to send the call stream over the tunnel and through the proxy. That may mean widely varying call quality depending on call destination.

just joined
Topic Author

Re: RB250GS: Is this what I need? Bypassing DPI (for VOIP us

Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:07 am

The RB250GS is a switch and it sounds like you need a router.

Take a look at the RB450G. One of my favorites.

Where is the Asterisk server located? If the dpi can sniff out voip audio streams (not just sip), you will need to send the call stream over the tunnel and through the proxy. That may mean widely varying call quality depending on call destination.
Thank you for your reply reverged,
The Asterisk server is located in a DC in Amsterdam (100mbit up/down)
The ISP from the "client" in the UAE (Dubai) does sniff out the VOIP audi streams (even when using openVPN), causing a heavy packet loss.
The connection is a bit better when we use TLS as transport for the SIP over the openVPN connection.

Basicaly I would like to get the phone to connect to the RouterBoard, and let the RouterBoard(s) handel the rest.
The RB450G does look like a nice bid of hardware, and if this is what is needed than I will get it straight away.