MUM Europe 2020

econst
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Use of RTS/CTS in Wireless

Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:19 am

HI all,

Have a AP that I built usinga RB433AH and a XR5 card, running ROS 5.14. It is configured to do WPA2 and AES encryption. I tried to use RTS/CTS on CPEs only and noted that I can't browse the internet when connected to a CPE if the RTS/CTS threshold is not set to the default of 2346 bytes. Shouldn't I be able to set this to a low number? I also noted that when set to a low number, for example 32, the CPEs don't associate. Pls advise.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Use of RTS/CTS in Wireless

Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:11 am

HI all,

Have a AP that I built usinga RB433AH and a XR5 card, running ROS 5.14. It is configured to do WPA2 and AES encryption. I tried to use RTS/CTS on CPEs only and noted that I can't browse the internet when connected to a CPE if the RTS/CTS threshold is not set to the default of 2346 bytes. Shouldn't I be able to set this to a low number? I also noted that when set to a low number, for example 32, the CPEs don't associate. Pls advise.
Which threshold are you setting? You should set 'protection threshold' to 256 (=alway on, is also lowest possible value) and than it should work.
Show your appreciation of this post by giving me Karma! Thanks.

Rudy R. Puister

WISP operator based on MT routerboard & ROS.