Community discussions

MikroTik App

mnour
just joined
Topic Author

DDWRT - Microtik

Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:53 pm

Hello guys , I have Mikrotik Routerboard RB800 and I am trying to flash this unit with DD-WRT .

I bought this unit because of its size and its hardware , but I checked DD-WRT website and it is supported by DD-WRT

my problem now is how I can flash this unit with DD-WRT

it is stated that:
The RouterBOARD may be started from a CompactFlash module or a Microdrive hard drive installed in the Compact Flash slot (J1). At least two partitions must exist on the device, first of which being the ELF image the board is to be booted from (normally, it is a Linux kernel, appended with the kernparm ELF section that specifies the root partition name and, optionally, other kernel parameters of your choice).

what do they mean by ELF image ? what is the two partition ? what the extension for the requested ELF image?

thanks for your help

cbrown
Trainer
Trainer

Re: DDWRT - Microtik

Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:19 pm

You will probably have more luck in the DDWRT forums.

Why do you not want to use RouterOS?

mnour
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:25 pm

You will probably have more luck in the DDWRT forums.

Why do you not want to use RouterOS?
I Tried with DD-WRT forum and there is no chance .

for me DD-WRT it is easy to be used and has a lot of facilities that I can deploy it for commercial use . it is easier than RouterOS

I didn.t like its UI and winbox platform at all .

Lakis
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:19 pm

Hello guys , I have Mikrotik Routerboard RB800 and I am trying to flash this unit with DD-WRT .

I bought this unit because of its size and its hardware , but I checked DD-WRT website and it is supported by DD-WRT

it is stated that:
The RouterBOARD may be started from a CompactFlash module or a Microdrive hard drive installed in the Compact Flash slot (J1). At least two partitions must exist on the device, first of which being the ELF image the board is to be booted from (normally, it is a Linux kernel, appended with the kernparm ELF section that specifies the root partition name and, optionally, other kernel parameters of your choice).

what do they mean by ELF image ? what is the two partition ? what the extension for the requested ELF image?

thanks for your help
RB800
Dude what ever if u can just dont do it
anyway Mikrotik OS is far more advanced than DD-WRT

mnour
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:57 pm

it is stated that:

thanks for your help
RB800

I know my friend that Microtik OS is more advanced than DD-WRT . Otherwise, DD-WRT is more flexible than RouterOS .

I am using dd-wrt to flash different kinds of routers so I can use them in different environment . On the other hand some places need more effective routers like mikrotik , and I know that it is supported by DD-WRT .

I searched their forum but there is no chance to have the complete answer .

it is stated in microtik routerboard RB800 Manual that:

thanks for your help

JanezFord
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:03 pm

thanks for your help
RB800

I am looking to go down the same path ... why? Sure routeros is more advanced, has far more options, is a professional product and is almost everything dd-wrt is not ... but ... I do need openvpn with UDP support (also LZO, push route, CRL would be nice) for connecting my networks to existing infrastructure and this can not be done with routeros. As simple as that.

janisbvp
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:06 pm

But, why would you choose rb800 over an intel Atom platform - namely D2500CC?
It has 2 real cpu cores, 2 Intel gig lans, and ofcourse you can boot OpenWRT or DD-WRT, although I would recommend Openwrt.
Even more - you can get the hang of Routeros rather fast and things that you can do in routeros are way more stable than Openwrt.
Still, I use Openwrt on some routers, just for the sake of VPN.
Bu, who knows - maybe we get functional vpn with v6?

JanezFord
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:47 pm

But, why would you choose rb800 over an intel Atom platform - namely D2500CC?
It has 2 real cpu cores, 2 Intel gig lans, and ofcourse you can boot OpenWRT or DD-WRT, although I would recommend Openwrt.
Well.. this is my fault... should have read the forum, not just the routeros features on mikrotik page more thoroughly before purchasing units... and as someone else stated, there should be a big red WARNING sign on routeros features page right where OVPN is mentioned, clearly pointing out there is no UDP, no LZO, no CRL, no push route support for OVPN and there will not be any of those features added to ROS "in the near future" ...

even so ... rb800 seems a better solution to go with if you want to have multiple minipci cards and need poe support...
Even more - you can get the hang of Routeros rather fast and things that you can do in routeros are way more stable than Openwrt.
Agreed.
Still, I use Openwrt on some routers, just for the sake of VPN.
Bu, who knows - maybe we get functional vpn with v6?
Doesen't look like it ... look at the post from mrz on 25th Apr 2012.
http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61437

I do believe that mikrotik software engineers are more involved with other problems like ipv6 functionality, ospfv3, and bug fixes for 4xx and 7xx products, so if they say "not in the near future" this does not look good for OVPN to get their attention.

JF

Taras
just joined

Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:55 am

https://www.google.com/search?q=elf+ima ... s-wiz-serp What is ELF image. Search in Google for "elf images Linux"
Last edited by Taras on Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.